375 Wby - Good Choice?

Kelly , thanks for all usch a great info. its certainly coming to us with your vast field n practical experience and I am very happy to gather it all for my future hunting endeavors .

Thanks again

Monish

Just got it back from the smith with a new Limbsaver pad, mercury tube, 4+1 drob box mag, and the Near Mfg. scope base and rings. Trigger tested out just below 3lb. I'll shoot it through my new chrono tomorrow or early next week depending on the weather. Here it is (some with it's 340 Wby brother):

DSC07040.jpg

DSC07023.jpg

DSC07029.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07029..jpg
    DSC07029..jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC07023..jpg
    DSC07023..jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC07040..jpg
    DSC07040..jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 153
The Near Mfg. base and rings:

DSC07033.jpg

DSC07034.jpg

DSC07036.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07034..jpg
    DSC07034..jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC07033..jpg
    DSC07033..jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC07036..jpg
    DSC07036..jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 119
I'm a classic and I think the 375 H & H Magnum I am satisfied, although I think that you have chosen a great caliber, more powerful than the British cartridge giving you more versatility and safety when hunting dangerous animals . Enjoying much your rifle;).

Oscar.

Great rifle, though I admit to being solidly parked in the walnut era. If you do take it to Africa, then I really would leave the bipod and get comfortable over sticks. They are wonderful aids, but will take a few sessions at the range to figure them out. I have spent a professional lifetime around weapons of one type or another, but I don't think you could make me shoot that thing prone. Be sure that you are well back from occular when you touch that first round off. The Near system is obviously solid as the IRS's grip on my income, but are you able to see the open sights over the rail? A nice thing about Weatherby's DGRs are the metalic sights, and I would be inclined to use a dismountable system like Warne to give me access to them in tight cover. Finally, I would never feel underarmed with partitions. I'll be using 300 grainers on buff this summer. Good luck on that bear hunt.

Thanks guys. The bipod comes off about as fast as scope covers. After seeing the big scope mounted, I just ordered a Bushnell 6500 in 1.25-8x32, which is 2.5" shorted than the one mounted and has up to 6" of eye relief.

As to the Near Mfg. base, tell me if you disagree with the following: (i) it's possible but very unlikely that my scope will become inoperable in thie middle of a hunt; (ii) even if that unlikely event happens, it's extremely unlikely that it I also will not have a couple of minutes to remove the Near base because I am being charged by a buffalo or something; (iii) even if so, the danger is close enough that I would have a decent shot of hitting it anyway; and (iv) even if everything goes wrong and my scope completely stops working right when I am being charged by a rhino and I can't seem to hit it without sights at close range, my guide may have some opportunity to save my life? Based on the product of the probabilities of everything going wrong, I assume that I will have a couple minutes to switch to backup sights in all but the wierdest of circustances, right?

I personally feel that if I prepare fully for every unlikely circumstance, I'm just going to get hit by an unexpected meteorite anyway.

In the scenario you are describing, you are absolutely correct. I was thinking more of a follow up in cover. I don't pretend to have an iota of the experience of many here, but trailing up my leopard (lung shot and thankfully dead after a thirty yard run), I swore I would never do it with a scoped rifle again. I don't have a .375 Wby, but Warnes hold up fine on my .375 H&H and Ruger just fine, providing immediate access to irons, and nearly perfect return to zero.

That said, your set up is the ultimate in a secure, scoped solution, and the odds are you aren't going to be the one sorting out a follow up. Look forward to hearing how it shoots.

Thanks Red. When I get my 1.25-8, I will practice with it and likely give it a tryin Alaska first and then go from there.

Marine Hawk,

There you are, ready to take on AFRICA , its a beautiful rifle and tried & tested caliber 100 years old . The scope configuration is perfect so is the bipod, may you have good hunting routine this year with your 375 H&H Weatherby and procure fine heads to adorn your trophy room walls. Congrats again .

Happy Hunting friend !!!!!

Monish

Marine Hwak.

The kid brother .340 looks handsome with the fluted barrel , when do you plan adding the elder Bro to you collection ? the formidable .416 Weatherby ?? do let us know, would advice plz go in for deluxe walnut stock model this time.

Monish

Thanks Monish. I think it will look better when I get the 1.25-8 scope on. I also brought the rifle back to have the smith to move the swivel stud (and thus the bipod) 1-1/2 inches further forward (someone there didn't listen, but they do do great work).

I likely will spend a year ore more playing with the 375 Wby before I decide whether or when to get a 416 Wby.

I like the look of nice wood stocks better, but as I am going to use this in Alaska for 12 days in Sept., I wanted something synthetic. I also got a great deal on the rifle as is, and I figure I can put a Deluxe stock on it later if desired.

MarineHawk,

The scope certainly would enhance the appearence , its you who has to be comfortable in putting the scope & the rifle to work. okie, so you had the swivel stud further shifted ? that must have fitted the bipod well , as it looks like. Anyway may you have a great hunting expedition in Alaska, and may you bag good trophys, what is on your wish list ???
.416 Wby Magnum is a fine calibre , may you have it soon , so that your gun rack soon would have Weatherbys lined up. Go in for a deluxe or a custom grade stock .

You have a faboulous rifle , congrats again , I feel elated when I know that there are hunters who are die hard fans of Weatherbys, and of course Iam , and it seems you too are the one .

Happy Hunting!!!!!

Monish

Here it is with the new scope:

DSC07058.jpg

DSC07059.jpg

DSC07061.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07059..jpg
    DSC07059..jpg
    96 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC07058..jpg
    DSC07058..jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC07061..jpg
    DSC07061..jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 143
Marine Hawk,

Thats a fine scope you have mounted on it, what make & configuration is it ?? the recoil pads should smoothen the recoil I bet. The rifle appeals very handsome now, any plans for the field usage lately ???

Happy Hunting !!!

Monish

Marine Hawk,

Thats a fine scope you have mounted on it, what make & configuration is it ?? the recoil pads should smoothen the recoil I bet. The rifle appeals very handsome now, any plans for the field usage lately ???

Happy Hunting !!!

Monish

Nothing too fascinating, but I shot my new 375 Wby DGR for about three hours a week ago (60 rounds) in perfect weather -- 75-degrees, sunny, and no wind (literally).

Recoil was no problem with the 12-lb rifle.

My good groups were within 3/4 inches measuring from the outside of the holes. Some were larger, but I am certain that that was due to user error.

I brought my new unused chrono, but did not set it up this time as it would have been difficult for the first time during the brief cease fires, and also a guy had one of those high-end Oehler Chronos and he let me shoot the 375 through it at the end of my extended range time. I only shot three of the 300gr NPs and two of the 260gr AB loads (I know more would be better, but I didn't want to impose on the guy). The Wby 300gr NP has a factory listed muzzle velocity of 2,800fps, and the Nosler 260gr AB has a listed muzzle velocity of 3,000fps.

The lowest numbers the Oehler gave me were 3,040fps with the 260gr AB load, and 2,830 with the 300gr NP loads. Thus, they look like this:

375 WEATHERBY – WBY 300 GRAIN NP – (B.C. 0.398) (240 yd zero)
Yds / Vel. / Impact / KE / Drift
000 / 2830 / -1.75 / 5335 / 0.00
050 / 2708 / 1.07 / 4885 / 0.64
100 / 2595 / 2.70 / 4486 / 1.25
150 / 2484 / 3.04 / 4110 / 2.28
200 / 2377 / 1.97 / 3764 / 3.76
250 / 2273 / -0.65 / 3442 / 5.73
300 / 2171 / -4.96 / 3140 / 8.19
350 / 2072 / -11.13 / 2860 / 11.21
400 / 1975 / -19.32 / 2598 / 14.80

375 WEATHERBY – NOSLER 260 GRAIN ACCUBOND – (B.C. 0.473) (260 yd zero)
Yds / Vel. / Impact / KE / Drift
000 / 3040 / -1.75 / 5336 / 000
050 / 2932 / 0.88 / 4963 / 0.59
100 / 2831 / 2.52 / 4627 / 1.05
150 / 2733 / 3.05 / 4312 / 1.83
200 / 2637 / 2.43 / 4015 / 2.94
250 / 2543 / 0.53 / 3734 / 4.40
300 / 2452 / -2.70 / 3471 / 6.23
350 / 2362 / -7.39 / 3221 / 8.44
400 / 2275 / -13.63 / 2988 / 11.05
450 / 2189 / -21.57 / 2766 / 14.09

Marine Hawk,

A good ballistic table you clocked there, 260 grainer was quite spectacular as per the chrono , whats makes you comment NOTHING TOO FASCINATING ???? I believe its a ample caliber for all small , big and dangerous. When do you plan putting te Weatherby to practical use ?

Happy Hunting !!

Monish

Marine Hawk,

A good ballistic table you clocked there, 260 grainer was quite spectacular as per the chrono , whats makes you comment NOTHING TOO FASCINATING ???? I believe its a ample caliber for all small , big and dangerous. When do you plan putting te Weatherby to practical use ?

Happy Hunting !!

Monish

I mean only that it's likely not too exciting for the casual reader. I was surprised a little that my velocities exceeded the published specs in a 24" barrel. I will try to confirm soon with my own chrono, but the one I shot through looked like it was designed by NASA and cost about 10-times what I paid for mine. If those numbers are correct, it's almost approaching .378 Wby numbers.

It's really a pleaure to shoot relative to all the horror stories I hear. Of course, part of that is that I have the mercury tube and otherwise it weighs just under 12 lbs. But I personally would rather carry a couple extra pounds on a rifle like that than suffer through shooting a 9lb 375 Wby. And, in any event, it's about 10lbs lighter than the M249 SAW I had to lug around not too long ago.

Marine Hawk,

You try shooing through your new chrorno , may be last one you tried did have a error read. you better have a shoot session again as per the table you recorded its nearing the 378 ballistics.

Recoil certainly musnt be hard but another 40 rounds and you would not feel it either , I suppose.

Monish

There has been a definite change in the mindset of hunters and how they view things and that is also reflected in guides and how they view things as well. In the 'olden' days the idea was to get close to dangerous game so that you can be more precise with your shot placement. In recent years I have had guides tell me they like the long shots because they can get the client (assuming he can shoot in the first place) to take his time and place his shot without getting too rattled by being close to a big nasty, hairy thing with teeth. And if the first shot does not anchor it, the two of them have time to pound away at the bear until it is down.

Hope you have a good hunt.

Kelly, I can find nothing in your total post that I disagree with! You are right on target.

IMO, the whole idea of hunting dangerous game is "BECAUSE" it is dangerous! No animal is dangerous at even 100 yards, much less a quarter mile away! I simply don't see the point in shooting a big Brown bear at over 100 yds unless he is already wounded, and about to get into the thick where he will be hard to follow and sort out! I guess I'm just too old and don't understand the P-dog rifle for dangerous game thing!

To origenal poster I hope you have a good hunt, and shoot the bear the way YOU want !

Dugaboy..............I don't know my friend, but things have changed so much with hunters and hunting in the last 30 years. I just had this conversation with another hunter who posts on here once and a while. He is someone with a lot of experience, like you, and someone whose opinion I respect. We discussed the fact that we feel like dinosaurs now with this gap that is widening between us and how we feel about hunting................and the newer view of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois