375 Ruger ammo for Lion and Buffalo

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by ActionBob, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ActionBob

ActionBob AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Looking for advice from all you guys with experience and/or expertise on ammo for the 375 Ruger I just ordered for my wife to take Lion hunting..... I have not found an abundance of ammo out there in 375 Ruger and I do not reload, so I assume we will be mostly looking at Hornady. What I know I can buy off the shelf right now is 250 grain GMX Superformance, which I suspect would be great all around PG ammo with a very flat trajectory, but will they expand enough for Lion?
    Right beside that on the shelf was 300 grain Hornady DGX... Which I think is about the most ripped soft point I've seen discussed on this board. A month or so ago, I think I saw some 270 grain SP RP in Ruger as well in another store and there is a good chance that is still there.... I used that in my 375 H & H with great results on PG and they seemed to expand well on the bigger animals. But if those are the 3 choices, which should we choose for Lion?

Should we consider the lighter bullets for less recoil and/or faster speed/shock value? Or go with the biggest chunk of soft lead?

And what about Buff, just in case she decides to shoot one of those as well?

Bob

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    My two cents is everyone of the choices would be fine for the lion. The Cape buffalo is a little different. The DGX should work, but there are better choices if you handload.

3. ActionBob

ActionBob AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    I don't hand load so stuck with whatever we can buy.

4. CAustin

CAustin AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Hornady DGX did the heavy work for me! No issues at all.

5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    I think the DGX will work fine for broadside shots and going away. I would not try to shoot through the shoulder bone with them.

6. CAustin

CAustin AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Also had DGS for backup second and third rounds for the Cape buffalo .

7. ActionBob

ActionBob AH Fanatic

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Yea I would like to take a Buffalo myself on this trip and I will probably go for the lioness if we get a deal on a combo. But with the H & H I can get most any bullet I want. I have a box of DGS, a box of Remington A Frames and a couple boxes of Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in the plastic case..... Yesterday I ran into a supply of 375 H & H Federal Premium sledgehammers in the cardboard boxes... They look fine, just been sitting around a few years. They had dusted them off and repriced them to todays level but the guy at the shop suggested if I want them I could make an offer... He mentioned I'm the only guy he has met with a use for them. He also had several others, didn't make note of what.

I believe there was also some 416 Rem Mag there, if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know if those older Federal Premium Sledgehammers are likely to shoot close to the same point as my Trophy Bonded Bear Claws? I think the Hornady solids are good, but I think they are loaded to a different speed and likely will not shoot to the same POA. I'll go try a couple when I get a chance.

8. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    The sledgehammers are a premium bullet. I'm guessing but I think they will be close.

9. matt85

matt85 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

the DGX should work fine for lion, the ripping you've heard about the bullet has been for using it on buffalo.

now I haven't hunted lion personally but from what ive read faster is better for big cats. so for the 375 H&H or 375 Ruger I think id use a 250gr or 270gr bullet.

-matt

10. ldmay375

ldmay375 New Member

DoubleTap Ammunition, has loads for the 375 Ruger in Barnes TSX in 235gr & 270gr; as well as 250 TTSX and 260gr Nosler Accubond loads. You can order directly from the web site. The 270gr I have used for moose and have no complaints.

11. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    Namibia (1), South Africa (3) & USA (most Western States, including AK & HI). Too bad spear fishing is not called "fish hunting" or, I could add a few extra countries (couldn't resist weaving that in somehow, sorry).
    I would consult the PH for sure on something like bullets for Lion, partly because they are expensive animals to hunt but very much because they can be so dangerous.
    Personally I should not vote on a lion bullet since I have never shot a lion and have only seen a couple in my life that were wild and living free.