.375 HH express

Reckless

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Africa, Australia, UK.
Just bought a Whitworth in this calibre. Has anyone had any experience with this gun? Also could anyone suggest a round for water buffalo down here in Australia.

Greetings! I bought one of those in 1984, took it on 3 safari's and still have it. Its one of the few guns I refuse to consider selling. These are fine guns, built on a MK X Yugoslav barrelled action, stocked in nice walnut and assembled in Manchester, England. They did make a few cosmetic changes over the years and some have different markings. Mine has the barrel band front swivel, mag release in the trigger guard and 3 leaf express sights with the 100yd fixed. Some later ones had 3 folding leaves, no barrel band swivel and a side button mag release. Earlier guns are marked Whitworth out on the barrel, you may encounter some marked Whitworth on the top of the left side rail. Mine is marked Whitworth on the top of the front receiver ring and the left side also. Red pad is marked Whitworth. Beware though that quite a few guns have a Whitworth pad but dont say Whitworth anywhere else and lack the other features. Interarms had made another series called the Whitworth American Field series. My brother had one of these in 30-06 years ago and I have never seen another. Looked just like the Express model but had different sights. Same wood style etc. They started making these in the mid 1970's and I dont think they went beyond the mid 90's in production but of that I am not sure. Mine is a B serial number and I also have a Viscount 30-06 of the same number series. BTW, mine is a verrrrry good shooter and totally reliable. If you look in my pictures you will see several shots of it in Tanzania, Botswana and Zimbabwe, my first 3 trips.

Just bought a Whitworth in this calibre. Has anyone had any experience with this gun? Also could anyone suggest a round for water buffalo down here in Australia.

Factory or handloads ?

The best performing, readily available, bullet for our buffalo, in the .375, has been, I.M.O, the Barnes Triple Shok.
Both the 270gn and 300gn are equally as good.

Federal loads them, or used to, in the the Premium line of ammo (VERY expensive).

If you handload, no problems, buy the slugs and load them up.

On a side-on shot the Triple shok can be relied on breaking both shoulders.
Sometimes, depending on positions & distance, they will fully penetrate.

Sounds like a nice gun, see if you can post some pics of it.

Cheers,

Paul.

Many thanks, there is some great information here, I am sure I have got myself a great gun and one I shall keep and use as my main large game gun. Do you use a scope if so which one. Also what loads have you used and is there a favourite.

will post picture as soon as I can.thanks all

Well I would put a scope on it, either a Zeiss or Leupold, something of that quality, 1-6 power or 2-8 power would be versatile for hunting. I would put quick release mounts on it, to make it even more useful.

I have used a couple of different low power scopes on mine in a set of old Kimber lever mounts. I used to shoot 300gr Nosler Partitions in mine or Hornady solids for buffalo. Mine likes IMR 4831 as well as anything, pretty much a full case with enough room to seat the bullet,, for around 2550fps. Mine will shoot 1 MOA if I do my part. Most will tell you there are much better bullets around today and thats likely true. Also many will say no need to use a low power scope on a .375 because it can reach out far enough to justify a 3-9X scope and I would agree. It does make for a great one-gun for everything rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross