Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
Hunted
USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari, FreeSate, East Cape & Limpopa)
Well as I fine tune my first trip to SA this spring want to hear everyone's pet powder & bullets

Gun is Remington XCRII with Jewell Trigger & Brown Stock. I know it is not one of those fancy guns but I am a remington guy :) so want to play with some solids & soft. I am a nosler partition & Accubond fan, also Barnes TSX.

SO favorite primer, powder & bullet would be appreciate, only going for a lioness so not trying to stop a ELephant but bice Cape would be nice maybe one will try to get me and I have to shoot in self defense:).

I also bring something for a little more range most likely my 300RUM in tricked out Sendro or I have a 280AI that i built that is the "Hand of God" with 160 accubonds but worried it they loose the ammo never find that thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigun if your reloading play with this one as a max load and work your way down to what your gun shoots best.

Caliber 375 H&H Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. GR FPS
270 GR. BAR TSX Hodgdon H380 .375 " 3.550" 78.0 2632 50,100 CUP

This should work good for DG and Plains Game.

I missed the part in my post I am a avid reloader only blew up one gun LOL. Thanks

My Whitworth Mauser always shot very well with IMR 4831, about 81 grs, compressed behind the Nosler 300 gr Partition for close to 2600fps. A crimp is needed for this load. For buffalo I used the same load with a Hornady solid, same weight. I used Remington brass and CCI 200 LR primers. Some will say a magnum primer is called for but the std always worked for me. I usually only use mag primers if loading ball powder. Ammo doesnt get lost often but it does happen and wildcats will be useless if YOUR ammo doesnt show up. On the other hand if you really wanted to take the AI, take it. The worst that can happen is you use the .375 for everything which is not really a bad thing either. Good luck!

My Whitworth Mauser always shot very well with IMR 4831, about 81 grs, compressed behind the Nosler 300 gr Partition for close to 2600fps. A crimp is needed for this load. For buffalo I used the same load with a Hornady solid, same weight. I used Remington brass and CCI 200 LR primers. Some will say a magnum primer is called for but the std always worked for me. I usually only use mag primers if loading ball powder. Ammo doesnt get lost often but it does happen and wildcats will be useless if YOUR ammo doesnt show up. On the other hand if you really wanted to take the AI, take it. The worst that can happen is you use the .375 for everything which is not really a bad thing either. Good luck!

Very good info here. Wayne, You will probably pick up problems regarding bringing the Wildcat ammo into the country, since your headstamp on your ammo might say 30.06 , and your rifle stating 7mm or something like that.
Our governement staff are not as open minded as you might think when it comes to "wrong" ammo for wildcat calibres.

Best Regards
Marius

I use South African powder, Somchem S335, so that won't be much help. I use Norma brass and CCI 250 Magnum primers for my two 'pet' loads. I use 250gr Sierra Gamekings at 2750fps for all PG and Hornady DGX 300gr at 2550fps, backed up by PMP 286gr solids, for stuff that makes me climb trees.

..... Ammo doesnt get lost often but ......The worst that can happen is you use the .375 for everything which is not really a bad thing either.
Can't agree more.
The .375 will make holes in everything you have shown interest in hunting.

Very good info here. Wayne, You will probably pick up problems regarding bringing the Wildcat ammo into the country, since your headstamp on your ammo might say 30.06 , and your rifle stating 7mm or something like that.
Our governement staff are not as open minded as you might think when it comes to "wrong" ammo for wildcat calibres.

Best Regards
Marius

Thanks good tip did not think of that "Sir i know the barrel says 280AI but them are not 30-06 lol ".

200 Accubonds for 300RUM for the Plains or partions dang more choice then picking out a outfitter LOL

My load in the 375 H&H is 74 gr. H414 with 300 gr nozler partitions and I use cci 200 magnum primers. Shoots very well and has modest recoil. chronograps @ 2524 FPS.

Thanks I pop a few, that half the fun trying new loads

I HAVE BEEN USING 300 GRS BULLETS ON 3 OF MY 375 H&H WITH IMR 4350 AD FED 215 AND 80.0GRS POWDER WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS AND ACTUALLY CHRONOGRAPHED WITH 24'' BBL AT 2610FPS SD 08 FPS
I MUST SAY IT IS A COMPRESSED LOAD AND EXCELLENT RESULTS AT PAPER TARGET SHOOTING AND ON ANIMALS BOTH CAPE BUFFALO AND WATER BUFFALO ..

my first 375 started out with 270gr. Hornady actually worked well on bear then switched to swift and nosler moose and bears all my African animals were taken with 300 gr easier to manage 1 rifle I wasn't after the small ones on that trip.

I like the 250 TTSX for plains game but I would probably switch to the 270 TSX if lion was in the mix. Barnes has great load data online. Anywhere between starting and max that you find accuracy will work.

A 300 gr bullet at 2500 fps will have plenty of power for close up dangerous game. It will also provide a flat enough trajectory for plains game.

I was informed by Swift that they have 270 grain .375 A Frames in stock. I bought some.

For 375 H&H I use Norma 203B 68 grains and 300 grain A-Frames or 300 grain TSX, a Federal magnum primer and crimped case. The A-Frame gives me 2500 while the TSX is 2520.
I used to use IMR 4831 but during the shortages of components my local shop had cans of Norma 203B at the old prices so I tried it and love it. I also use it in 30-06 loads. Apparently I’m the only customer of his who uses it.

For 375 H&H I use Norma 203B 68 grains and 300 grain A-Frames or 300 grain TSX, a Federal magnum primer and crimped case. The A-Frame gives me 2500 while the TSX is 2520.
I used to use IMR 4831 but during the shortages of components my local shop had cans of Norma 203B at the old prices so I tried it and love it. I also use it in 30-06 loads. Apparently I’m the only customer of his who uses it.
Norma 203B is also a great powder for the 7 X 57.

I used them in both my 404J and 7mm RM in Tanzania this past fall. Really great results on buffalo and PG.

375 HH in both a Win 70 and BRNO ZKK-
300 gr A-Frame, CCI #34 primer, H4350 or Varget to reach objective velocity of 2450-2485 fps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross