375 H&H Pet reloads for DG & Plains for my first Safari

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by huntingbigun, Dec 20, 2011.

1. huntingbigun

huntingbigun AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
    Hunted:
    USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari & Limpopa)
    Well as I fine tune my first trip to SA this spring want to hear everyone's pet powder & bullets

Gun is Remington XCRII with Jewell Trigger & Brown Stock. I know it is not one of those fancy guns but I am a remington guy :) so want to play with some solids & soft. I am a nosler partition & Accubond fan, also Barnes TSX.

SO favorite primer, powder & bullet would be appreciate, only going for a lioness so not trying to stop a ELephant but bice Cape would be nice maybe one will try to get me and I have to shoot in self defense:).

I also bring something for a little more range most likely my 300RUM in tricked out Sendro or I have a 280AI that i built that is the "Hand of God" with 160 accubonds but worried it they loose the ammo never find that thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    Bigun if your reloading play with this one as a max load and work your way down to what your gun shoots best.

Caliber 375 H&H Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. GR FPS
    270 GR. BAR TSX Hodgdon H380 .375 " 3.550" 78.0 2632 50,100 CUP

This should work good for DG and Plains Game.

3. huntingbigun

huntingbigun AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
    Hunted:
    USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari & Limpopa)
    I missed the part in my post I am a avid reloader only blew up one gun LOL. Thanks

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    My Whitworth Mauser always shot very well with IMR 4831, about 81 grs, compressed behind the Nosler 300 gr Partition for close to 2600fps. A crimp is needed for this load. For buffalo I used the same load with a Hornady solid, same weight. I used Remington brass and CCI 200 LR primers. Some will say a magnum primer is called for but the std always worked for me. I usually only use mag primers if loading ball powder. Ammo doesnt get lost often but it does happen and wildcats will be useless if YOUR ammo doesnt show up. On the other hand if you really wanted to take the AI, take it. The worst that can happen is you use the .375 for everything which is not really a bad thing either. Good luck!

5. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
    Very good info here. Wayne, You will probably pick up problems regarding bringing the Wildcat ammo into the country, since your headstamp on your ammo might say 30.06 , and your rifle stating 7mm or something like that.
    Our governement staff are not as open minded as you might think when it comes to "wrong" ammo for wildcat calibres.

Best Regards
    Marius

6. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    I use South African powder, Somchem S335, so that won't be much help. I use Norma brass and CCI 250 Magnum primers for my two 'pet' loads. I use 250gr Sierra Gamekings at 2750fps for all PG and Hornady DGX 300gr at 2550fps, backed up by PMP 286gr solids, for stuff that makes me climb trees.

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Can't agree more.
    The .375 will make holes in everything you have shown interest in hunting.

8. huntingbigun

huntingbigun AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
    Hunted:
    Thanks good tip did not think of that "Sir i know the barrel says 280AI but them are not 30-06 lol ".

200 Accubonds for 300RUM for the Plains or partions dang more choice then picking out a outfitter LOL

9. Calhoun

Calhoun AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI N.E. Wisconsin Chapter - WisNRA
    My load in the 375 H&H is 74 gr. H414 with 300 gr nozler partitions and I use cci 200 magnum primers. Shoots very well and has modest recoil. chronograps @ 2524 FPS.

10. huntingbigun

huntingbigun AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
    Hunted:
    Thanks I pop a few, that half the fun trying new loads