Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey guys,

Is anyone willing to hazard a guess as to what kind of barrel life one could expect from a .375 H&H double, on average? Would it be a viable working rifle? As in a frills, practical double used for everything, thus resulting in a lot of range time and a lot of field time.

Interesting question! I should think several thousand rounds!

It's an open-ended question. As for the barrels (bores), they'll be good for thousands upon thousands of rounds, provided they're kept in good care. As for the barrels staying on the face, though, that's anybody's guess.

I would say if the rifle is fairly new, and was made originally for the 375 H&H magnum then it was made to stand the pressures.
The staying on face depends mainly on the proper care of the rifle. This not only takes into account the type of bullets used in the rifle. Bullets made on the type of pattern like North Fork bullets are easy on the bore. Also the proper care of the bore, and care of all mating surfaces using proper grease like Militec-1. or other types that retard galling and wear.

..............................................(y)

Basically, if the rifle is properly made, it will stay on the face. If not, it'll shoot loose and nothing you do will prevent it from happening (delay, yes...prevent, no).

With regard to a good lube, Vaseline is what the old, English gunmakers use. Rub some on the mating surfaces, and carry on.

Just make sure you fire both barrels approximately the same amount and you'll have the rifle for lifetime.
And do regular service/cleaning of the mechanism to prevent dust buildup and wear :)

Basically, if the rifle is properly made, it will stay on the face. If not, it'll shoot loose and nothing you do will prevent it from happening (delay, yes...prevent, no).

With regard to a good lube, Vaseline is what the old, English gunmakers use. Rub some on the mating surfaces, and carry on.

I'm quite sure all double rifles will sooner or later come off face, but proper care will make it last a lot longer than most here will keep a new double rifle.

I have a 500-450 no1ex Westley Richards double rifle that was sold out of the London store in 1892, and it is still on face and as tight as a jug.
It is true that the old makers used Vaseline for lube in there doubles, and some may still call what they use Vaseline, but I can assure you it is not drugstore Vaseline.
There are modern greases Like the MILITEC-1 synthetic metal conditioner that are far better than Vaseline!

1~ stays in place, and lubricates in severest conditions.
2~ Excellent water wash out resistance
3~ Superior shock-load protection<<<<<<<<
4~ Reduces corrosion, wear and Galling
No 3 is very important giving off face protection

Nothing will last forever but I see no harm in trying to give a very expensive double rifle some help to live longer!
I used to work for a company owner who soaked his bolt rifle in MacMillan Ring free Motor oil between hunting seasons, because that was what his father had always done.
I don't think anyone here would do that to a double rifle, but I may be wrong.
........................................Mac:LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warren03T

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross