Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
So after much wheeling and dealing over the last few months I have put myself in the position to get a decent .375 h&h bolt. I have a chance at either a new, completely stock cz 550 classic or a used rem 700 ss with aftermarket stock and scope. Here is my dilemma- after my trip to africa I came to really like the cz and appreciate the 5rd capacity. I would prefer to get that one but it is more expensive and I would still need to get a good scope. On the other hand the rem is less expensive and has a $400 weaver scope already on it, as well as the upgraded stock. The problem is the owner only used prvi ammo and could only get 3 in groups at 100yds. I'm betting this is probably due to the ammo and my hand loads would be far better.
The last factor is that I plan on threading it for a suppressor- the benefits don't need explanation- the rem has the normal basic irons, so no issue there, but the cz has the 3 leaf sights with front hood, which I would feel really bad messing with, but then I come back to that 5rd capacity.......
What thoughts do you more experienced gents have on this situation ?

If you can't come by a Win M70, opt for the CZ.

Go with the CZ

if its a vintage Remington, then it might be a decent rifle. however all Remington rifles made in the last 10-15 years have been cheap junk as far as ive seen.

the CZ is a good option and can always be upgraded later by sending it to AHR.

-matt

I owned a CZ in 375HH which I sold to pay for Taxidermy. When I decided to build a 404 Jeff I didn't have any doubt which action to look for CZ without hesitation

I figured that would be the general opinion. I really would rather have the cz but definitely gonna feel bad messing with it! So I go for the cz then and see what I can do about a scope later. Thanks for confirming my thoughts and making it an easier decision guys!

CZ or Win M70 , I wouldn't consider a modern Remington in .375

CZ's IMHO are meant to be "messed with" as you put it , they get better after being customized to your specifications.

Have you looked at a browning a-bolt? I have enjoyed mine a lot and have never had to modify it. With a Leuopold 1x7 scope I have less than $1200 in it. I shot it last week and at 200 yds was getting 2 1/2 inch groups with 300 grn. factory ammo. I have nothing against your other choices but don't limit yourself to just a couple.

if its a vintage Remington, then it might be a decent rifle. however all Remington rifles made in the last 10-15 years have been cheap junk as far as ive seen.

the CZ is a good option and can always be upgraded later by sending it to AHR.

-matt
Hill Country Rifles down in Texas told my son that 8 out of 10 new Rem barrels are junk for building their custom rifles. So I think there is a lot of agreement that the majority of the new Rems are less than many of us would desire!

Have you looked at a browning a-bolt? I have enjoyed mine a lot and have never had to modify it. With a Leuopold 1x7 scope I have less than $1200 in it. I shot it last week and at 200 yds was getting 2 1/2 inch groups with 300 grn. factory ammo. I have nothing against your other choices but don't limit yourself to just a couple.

I am a huge fan of the Browning A Bolts , I rate them very high in the non-control feed rifles . I also find them extremely accurate . Take note these are the previous A Bolts and not the later X Bolts !

I actually do have an A-bolt as an option, and it's the cheapest of the bunch at $650. It's even the correct side for me being a LH action. The things I don't like about it are that it has a synthetic stock and only weighs 7.5lb

I actually do have an A-bolt as an option, and it's the cheapest of the bunch at $650. It's even the correct side for me being a LH action. The things I don't like about it are that it has a synthetic stock and only weighs 7.5lb
as i said ,if you don't require a control feed rifle you wont be disappointed with the A Bolt . You also wont feel the recoil of the rifle in the bush .

If you really like the A-bolt and can get it for $650, maybe putting a different stock on it is the answer?

I did the same thing with my win 70 .375.. It came with a synthetic stock and was a bit on the light side.. I checked fleabay periodically for a couple of weeks and managed to pick up a really nice used wood stock for $50 ($59 shipped to my door)..

I paid $650 for my rifle.. even with the additional spend on the stock I think I got an incredible deal overall.. I dropped another $45 in talley 1 piece mounts.. picked up a zeiss terra for $210 at the bargain cave at cabellas.. and threw a sling on it that I had sitting in the closet collecting dust.. and for less than $1000 all in I've got a perfect (what I consider perfect anyway..) PG rifle set up for my hunt in SA in June..

If/When I decide to chase DG... I'll drop the sling and scope and be ready for that at no additional cost as well..

IMG_0295.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really like the A-bolt and can get it for $650, maybe putting a different stock on it is the answer?

I did the same thing with my win 70 .375.. It came with a synthetic stock and was a bit on the light side.. I checked fleabay periodically for a couple of weeks and managed to pick up a really nice used wood stock for $50 ($59 shipped to my door)..

I paid $650 for my rifle.. even with the additional spend on the stock I think I got an incredible deal overall.. I dropped another $45 in talley 1 piece mounts.. picked up a zeiss terra for $210 at the bargain cave at cabellas.. and threw a sling on it that I had sitting in the closet collecting dust.. and for less than $1000 all in I've got a perfect (what I consider perfect anyway..) PG rifle set up for my hunt in SA in June..

If/When I decide to chase DG... I'll drop the sling and scope and be ready for that at no additional cost as well..

@mdwest if you are ever wanting to sell that synthetic Winchester stock , I will buy it from you .

@bassasdaindia let me get a couple of more range sessions in to see what I think of the wood stock, and Ill let you know..

the stock that came on it is the old (early 90's) injection molded plastic stock that Winchester used on the Classic and Alaska rifles about 20 years ago before they went to the Bell and Carlson stocks.. Its surprisingly pretty rigid for plastic.. but wasn't really what I was looking for in terms of weight and appearance...

I don't see myself spending a whole lot of time in Alaska or anywhere else wet anytime in the near future.. and don't think its likely that Ill ever put the synthetic stock back on the rifle.. unless I decide I just don't like the wood for some reason...

If that ends up being the case.. I wont sell you the stock.. but.. I'd be happy to give it to you... you just pay the postage.. I'd rather someone else have it that will use it.. than have it just sitting in the corner taking up space here.. :)

Give me about 30 days (ill be hitting the range this weekend... and a couple of weekends after that).. and Ill let you know..

@mdwest , that is very generous of you however I would be happy to buy it from you .

please let me know when you have made up your mind.

@Albert GRANT if you're left handed, go with a left hand gun! @Royal27 might help you decide on that one. If you buy a new CZ, order a LH, otherwise buy that LH A Bolt and make it work, you can add a mercury tube or lead weight to the stock if you need it heavier. And even in the fore end to keep it balanced.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross