.375 close range polar bear bullet?

Eddie P

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm waiting on my paperwork to collect a 375 ruger guide gun. It's for self defense against polar bears on arctic expeditions. We aren't hunting, but potentially the hunted.

After reading stories of the hornady dgx breaking up on lion at close range I've discounted these (and therefore my only UK factory option).

If I need to shoot it will be 30-50 yards and I must use expanding. I will take centre-of-mass shots.

I've ordered some gmx 250gn bullets to reload as I figured complete failiure isn't possible.

Are there any other bullet options I should consider? Partitions for example?

I already reload .357 and .308 so I'm not new to all this.

Get some 300 gr bullets in either Northforks or TSX's. Short range so get the heavier bullets. Your .375 Ruger should run those up around 2500 FPS plus. They will have a good deal more energy than a 250 grain bullet. Bruce

Here in Alaska, most people may not hunt polar bear any more, only the Eskimo race may do that legally.
However, grizzly are hunted here and 300 grain bullets seem to be the standard.
The Nosler Partition 300 grain / .375 bullet has taken many grizzly and is perhaps the bullet by which all others are compared, when bear hunting equipment is discussed in Alaska.
Today, the Swift A-Frame is rapidly catching up to the good old NP in popularity for bear hunting.
It is similar in design but much tougher.
But, by reputation I'd bet you will not go wrong with either one, if you ever have to face a charge from "the white bear".

300gn partitions are looking good.

For those not in the UK, you'll be amazed at the lack of premium big bore bullets and the prices of the stuff we can get.

Ed try kynoch they have the woodliegh range in stock and may have the big 350grn stoppers. From what I remember they are about £1.25 each I think

I think that for protection from a polar bear that I would want a 12 ga pump shotgun with its magazine full of slugs.

A .375 would be nice if you plan on shooting one out past 50 yards but for protection you will quite possibly be within 20 yards when the excitement starts.

I think that for protection from a polar bear that I would want a 12 ga pump shotgun with its magazine full of slugs.

A .375 would be nice if you plan on shooting one out past 50 yards but for protection you will quite possibly be within 20 yards when the excitement starts.

I took a pump and slug on my last trip. We are restricted to a minimum of 24 inch barrels, so I figured a 20 inch guide gun should be more convenient. Harder hitting too.

I took a pump and slug on my last trip. We are restricted to a minimum of 24 inch barrels, so I figured a 20 inch guide gun should be more convenient. Harder hitting too.
FAC shotgun mate job done

Flipping home office :mad:

Take a beretta jet fire .32, kneecap the most annoying guy in the party and slowly walk away from the bear attack! Lol
Cody

Brownells UK has several Barnes TSX weights available in 375. You'll be hard pressed to beat a TSX.

The partition is fine, but really, bullet technology has improved since they were introduced to market in 1948.

Get the Hornady DGS for that big fellow! Nobody has indicated problems with them.

You really don't need a solid for a bear. In fact, you probably don't want one for bear defense.

So long as you don't pick a totally ridiculous projectile, the deciding factor will be your ability to stay cool and hit the target. Looks like there are several good choices available. I'd follow Gillette hunter's advice and live happily ever after.

Nosler Partition is good but the Swift A-Frame is better. I use to use mostly Nosler PAR but now am using more and more A-Frames.
Used A-Frames on the last Africa trip(338win mag and 257Roberst) and they were great with no tracking of animals needed.

In my 375 Ruger Guide Gun I have loaded some Woodleigh 350gr. PP with 73.0grs. of RL17 powder and a WLRM primer. I get 2391fps average and just under an 1" 3-shot group at 100yds. Also load a Nosler 300gr. Accubond with 78.5grs of RL17 powder and WLRM primer. I get 2590fps average with a 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds. Both are seated at 3,385" COAL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!