338 Win Mag load data needed

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by gutterdoc, Apr 17, 2014.

1. gutterdoc

gutterdoc AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    US(AZ, AK, CT, IA, MT, NC, OH, TX, WY)
    OK folks. Ammo and powder are hard to find. I need to practice before the big trip to SA next year. I have a friend who is willing to let me use some powders he has on hand to make up a good load. Does anyone use Quickload software that can input some info and give me the max loads and velocities? I prefer not to shoot max, hence the needed data. Barnes website is really not helpful. If you can help, great and thanks. Here is the info:

Bullet- Barnes TTSX 225 gr 1.547 length
    Case-2.50 length
    OAL-3.34
    barrel-24 inches

Powders on hand:IMR 4831, IMR 4350, Reloader 17, Reloader 19
  2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    My Barnes Number 4 manual says 61gr of IMR4350 as a minimum and 62.5gr of IMR4831 as a minimum load. So you could start there and work up. Sorry no data for RL17 or RL19 and I don't have Quickload either. I've received loads from QL before, I don't trust it much to be honest.
  3. BnC 04

BnC 04 TITANIUM SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA/Canada/Europe/ Africa
    225 TTSX w/RL 19 @ 73.5 gr is very accurate in my M70 26", as always start low and work up from there...If your close to the TN area I can hook you up with a can of RL 19 or IMR 4831/4350.
  4. gutterdoc

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Thanks for the offer. I'm in the People's Republic of Connecticut. Cabelas has a ton of powder and primers today if anyone is looking. They sold out all the Alliant powder yesterday. I'm sure it is going fast as I type.

I got some QL info. Their numbers never look right to me. Everyone has loads, per the QL recommendations, are all over max. That is why I ask others for their load data.

RL17, OAL 3.320", 66.9 gr MAX, 2848 fps, 99.6% case fill, 31.8% ballistic efficiency.

IMR4350, OAL 3.320", 66.1 gr MAX, 2740 fps, 103.7% case fill, 31.5% ballistic efficiency.

RL19, OAL 3.320", 69.7 gr MAX, 2801 fps, 108.8% case fill, 29.6% ballistic efficiency.

IMR4831, OAL 3.320", 66.8 gr MAX, 2774 fps, 108.9% case fill, 32.4% ballistic efficiency.

Thanks.
  5. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    If you want the barnes bullets to work best push them fast. The faster you push then the better the expansion.
  6. LiegeRiver

LiegeRiver New Member

Member of:
    SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    If you're not stuck on Barnes, I've always had good success with IMR 4350, and Nosler Partition 210, 225 or 250 grain bullets. They all worked well.

LR :)
  7. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I used Swift A-Frame 225gr bullets with IMR4350 and had all one shot kills except the one I shot too high the first time. Shot about 30 animals at ranges from 150 yards to 480 yards.

They worked perfectly and if I get to go back I will use the Swift bullets again.

My daughter used 120 grain A-Frames in her 257Roberts for all one shot kills on 10+ animals

Excellent bullets
  8. gutterdoc

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to get some Swift A Frames. I already have 210 gr. Nosler Partitions and 225 gr. Barnes TTSX.
  9. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    The Nosler 210gr bullet is what I used for years before getting the A-Frames for Africa. If you need data for the 210gr Noslers let me know.
  10. Mekaniks

Mekaniks AH Member

Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL
    Have you tried Barnes 185g TSX yet? After much frustration with several diffrent 225g manufactures (I couldn't get under a 4" group) I started hand loading Barnes 185 with 4831 and CCI 250 primers and my .338 loves them. It consistently shoots sub MOA at 2950+fps . I have killed black bear, caribou, Sitka Blacktail, and a Wyoming antelope all with great results. Not sure what you will be hunting in SA but if you are looking at a plains game hunt you might give it a thought.
  11. gutterdoc

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    I have not tried the 185gr Barnes yet. I had the same problem with Accubonds in my .338WM as well. One would be spot on and the next round 6" off the mark.

Diver...I'll take you up on the 210 load data. I'll have to see which one groups better.

Thanks gentlemen.
  12. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Member

I've tried the tradtional acceptable powders for the .338 Win mag (H414, IMR 4350, IMR 4831) and didn't have very good success.
    I did find two accurate loads with powders that would be thought of as "non traditional" for the .338....H4895 and IMR 4320. I use the 4320 with the Hornady 225 grain SP and the H4895 with Nosler 225 grain accubonds. The loads are just as accurate (if not more so) than factory. I use the Hornadys for practice & paper punching (since they are cheaper) and I plan to use the accubonds on my first safari this summer!
    I don't have my reloading notes in front of me at the moment, so I can't tell you what the charge weights are.....if you want, I can look them up later and post them.
  13. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Veteran

Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I not sure how to send you a message gutterdoc so please email me and I will scan and email back my info for you.
    Email is Dougs50cal@gmail.com
    Thanks---Doug