338-06 bullet choice

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by death-from-above, Nov 2, 2013.

1. death-from-above

death-from-above AH Veteran

You guys that shoot the 338-06 ... Anyone load up with barnes bullets? If so, which style bullet, and what weight? I am thinking about loading some tsx in the 210gr. Anyone want to share some load recipes. ?
  2. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    I've shot my 338-06 on 4 of my 5 trips to Africa I have probably tried 40 to 50 different loads since 1999 in it and I always come back to Nosler Partion 225 gr bullets. They shoot the most accurate out of my barrel and perform outstandingly on game animals. Accubonds at 225 gr are second. I can't get ANY Barnes bullets to shoot accurately with my rifle. Tried 5 or 6 different ones. Not knocking them, just can't get them to shoot in this rifle. Now, I may have too long a throat in it so I'm going to do some more work on seating depth this year to see if that makes any difference. Love my Thumper!
  3. death-from-above

Thanks cliffy, I will keep that in mind if my new one won't shoot Barnes.
    Anyone else ?
  4. elmerfudd555

elmerfudd555 New Member

210 TTSX shoot great in mine. Ditto the 185s. Did not take this rifle to Africa, I purpose built it for shooting hogs and black bear but I have used it on two elk, a cow last year and a bull this year, in both cases one shot took care of things and neither animal ran away. Complete pass throughs at 100-150 yds. Shoulders broken in both cases. Really like RL 15 powder in this cartridge
  5. death-from-above

Thanks. I will pencil that down. My rifle should be done by spring thaw. I will more than likely take it to Zimbabwe in July as long as I get a proper load worked up.
  6. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Zimbabwe is where I took mine the first time. It worked great. Find a good load and the cartridge will do the job Keep us posted
    I used Rl15 then and I'm playing with RL 17 next.