Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, TTHA, DU
Hunted
LIMPOPO
My original trip was scheduled for July 19th. Due to scheduling of a new project I was unable to make this date. After a few emails our trip was rescheduled for Sept. 4th - 14th. The excitement is overwhelming as we head into the last couple of weeks of preparations. I have recently read some info on Tetanus and Hepatitis vaccines and making sure they are up to date and am just curious how many people actually get these vaccines before travelling to South Africa? Is it to late for it to take now with only 32 days left? We are just trying to cover everything in a short period of time. Also when do you set up with a shipping company to have your skins shipped back home? Any help at all or any tips some of you veterans have on anything will be greatly appreciated.

Kyle,

Best of luck on the trip, a month countdown is exciting! As far as tetanus, not sure but couldn't hurt to have(here in the states as well). Hep A/B is more serious and I would look into it. I believe with 1 month left you can get the first and possibly the second of the three shots before you go(if you hanv't already). I would advise into looking into that this week if you have not.

I went ahead and took all the precautionary shots and meds( much better to have than to have not)

The taxidermy/dip and ship company will arrange the shipment, but you need to contact a company like Coppersmith to clear it for you in the US. They will coordinate with the shipping company in Africa once all details are given.

Regards

Forgot to ask where are you headed to in SA?

Best of luck to you Kyle.

Thanks for the response reedy0312. We are going to the Limpopo Province with Bushmans Quiver.

Yes sir! Look forward to the report!

Kyle, I have done every suggested vaccination presented to me except Rabies. Some, I still have left overs from vacs as a kid. Tested for MMR (outbreaks have been occurring) before my last trip and did not require further vaccination.

Common sense of Anti Malaria meds. When required I have taken it. No issues.

Step on a rusty nail? I have done that in the middle of no where in Africa.

Flu shots? You are riding in a tin can for how many hours?

Yellow Fever, got it for transiting and entry into RSA. I hope to head to a country where you actually might need it one day soon.

You should have a chat with your travel doc.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...ravel/destinations/traveler/none/south-africa

CDC suggestions.

CDC vacs suggestions.jpg

You have a while before you have to worry about shipping. Read a few reports and ask for some quotes from companies that other hunters have used and we also have a Sponsor who does that work for you.

Have fun.

Wish you the best on your hunt.

Kyle, sounds like you have a lot of the same questions I had. I went to a travel clinic and conversed with them about what I should get. In regards to Hepatitis A it isn't too late I don't think. I was a month out when I got mine. I did also get Tetanus. I didn't take the typhoid vaccine. I did however get a prescription of Ciproflaxin, it was really for travelers diarrhea, but it would also combat the Typhoid Fever. I didn't get the Typhoid because the doc at the travel clinic said that it took seven days to see the symptoms of Typhoid and most likely i'd be back in the states before I saw symptoms. However, like I said the Cipro was an antibiotic that would combat the typhoid. I didn't get the yellow fever vaccine either.

In regards to your hides/horns, I did get everything set up with a broker before I left. I don't think it is an absolute requirement to do it before you leave. You have time to do it when you get back. I'm just one that wants to have as much done as possible so that's why I did it.

Now all that said, I've only been on one trip to RSA. So, I'm a rookie. There are lots of other folks here with more experience. I just wanted to give back and help where I could just like all the folks on here helped me!!

Kyle
Good luck and play safe ....... I got Hepatitis and Tetanus before I went to Namibia ,also my Dr. but me on a regimen of probiotics . As was mentioned there is now a rabies vaccine available (Rabavert ) ...I have not had the opportunity to talk with my Physician to ask his advice .
Glen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross