318wr old girl has seen better times

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
Yeah I know 2 318wr rifles in two days .....don't expect this to continue.........

Anyhow photos attached and a question to ask of those more knowledge and certainly more intelligent than myself.

Restore or not to restore

The old girl who is now 107 years young has had a hard life ... 2 wars a century with mamy lovers..

Converted to 8x57 sometime I would assume after the war.

However manufactured in 1907 a full three years before anyone suggests the 318wr was launched.

So do I keep her as a log of the changing ammunition fashions of the last century or give her back her youth and beauty ?

I look forward to your advice one and all.

78575_view 02_02tn.jpg
78575_view 03_03tn.jpg
78575tn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a classic rifle, give her back her youth and beauty!

+1
even if you don't use the old girl ,tart her up .
hang her up to be appreciated .

Bluey "tart .... " really she is not a tart she is a lady not a common hussey like so many of those mass produced shiny, plastic painted ladies that are currently around !

Please mind your language !

Better quality photos posted ....... however horrible what they have done to her
78575.jpg
78575_view 02_02.jpg
78575_view 03_03.jpg

ha ha ha
tart up =dress up , make pretty
not some old harelot
aussie slang ,mate

It's up to you, probably will take a lot of work. I probably would admire the gun for what is now, a classy firearm.

Probably ..... will see what Westley Richards says for a restore as it cost me virtually nothing I have a little scope to manuver however as I suspect the quote will be ...... well beyond my means and well beyond the value of the gun when finished.

Will get the quote in Jan hopefully and then I can decide - will keep you folk informed

I would restore it if that is what you want to do... it is your call... form your post you are looking for support for your decision.

The stock is refinish-able. i would put on a new pad and save the old one...

Nice find and take care of it...

As for the stamping, receivers are stamped and some times the serial number are not let out int he order that they were stamped...

Love to see the old ladies.

Thanks for the photos.

What ever you choose is the correct way to go for you.

If you do dress her up new photos are required.;)

Oh I don't know. There is nothing wrong with a beautiful woman with some age on her. Every wrinkle tells a story. You love them for who they are not what you can make her into.

What you have is basically a WR marked mauser 98 action (which was what they used on these rifles). Looks like a military barrel rather than a rechamber - certainly a military rear sight. Also fairly sure that stock never originated in Birmingham. So you really aren't restoring it. What you would be doing is having a custom rifle built around the action. That rifle could indeed be mirrored upon a .318 WR NE, but it will be a significant investment.

If you have the funds restore the old girl to glory!

Red Leg your powers of observation are amazing ..... thought that about the stok to be honest. However rifle arrives today with WR and will see what their initial report says.

However the curious thing is dated 1907 on the 318WR calibre as confirmed by WR ... They are getting me a scan from the journal which I suspect will suggest it was for the empire not a domestic sale.

If only the old girl could talk........

Absolutely let us know what they say. I am really curious what the comparative restoration costs would be either side of the pond. And it may be that the stock is just worn smooth from a lot carrying - would have a better idea if I could see the complete rifle. At least you have a respected firm or two which can do the work with predictable outcomes. Here, it is very much driven by the individual talent to whom you consign the restoration. Also, having WR do a rebuild of one of their rifles would add a premium value to the work - also, likely the cost as well :)

I have a little pre-war German 9.3x74R double which I picked up at a bargain price. After having the stock redone, one claw base reset and rings built, re-black of the barrels, and a Turnbull case coloring of the action, I have a restored rifle worth about $6k with about $7500 invested in it (over $8k if we count the scope). The usual pattern when I start one of these restoration projects.

Yeah I hear you ......However I am reasonably good at negotiations and as I do not need the rifle for a specific date ......perhaps dis counts could be obtained. Otherwise just back to old fashioned begging and call backs until they are sick to death of my Irish accent.

Will keep you informed ..... will have full photos from WR when they check it over.

But if the restoration comes in at or below the market value ........ then start saving the pennies or cut a safe queen or three lose ......

Edit: Keep me in mind if WR is too high on cost and you look to sell, just saw your comment it's off to them. Most of the way through a Greener project and eyeing for the next. I even have a .330" blank for the job.

Angus

Edit: Keep me in mind if WR is too high on cost and you look to sell, just saw your comment it's off to them. Most of the way through a Greener project and eyeing for the next. I even have a .330" blank for the job.

Angus
Hi Buddy will keep that in mind however I want imortality to be on the westley richards register manufactred 1907 restored 1915 for Mr S Blakely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross