Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hi guys,

I was wondering which of you own a .308 Norma? Specifically, are there any South Africans on the group that shoot with one? I just want to know what the general feeling is towards the cartridge and its usefulness as a one-gun answer for small predators and game up to Eland?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ack
It's basically in the same grouping as the 300 win mag, 300 rum, and 300 wsm. So I'm not a PH but would venture to say that the range of animals you listed, the norma should perform just as good as the others. With proper bullet construction, of course.

Pretty much sums it up.

How does it differ from the 308 or 7.62?

How does it differ from the 308 or 7.62?
It's a magnum. It's based on the 338 win mag case. Velocity and energy are in the same realm as the other 30 magnums.

The 308 Norma mag. is basically the same cartridge as the 338 win. Neck to 30 cal. Winchester would have most likely did this but Norma beat them so they moved the shoulder forward and slightly increased the length. I feel the 308 Norma or the 30-338 is a better round for the reloader with it's longer neck.

FANTASTIC calibre....I hunted with one belonging to a friend of mine many moons ago ( the scope on my rifle collapsed on the first shot fired when checking the zero at the hunting area) luckily my mate had this VOERE 308 magnum spare, so I borrowed it. Kudu, eland and blue wildebeest.. all one shot kills. Tried to buy it from him for years ( he moved to Brazil) but it ended up with his sons... where it should be!!!

It is a caliber that fascinated me ever since I saw one when I was younger in a small gunshop north of my hometown. Was there with my grandpa, and if I recall correctly it was some sort of custom build on a mauser action. Think the tag was 500.oo or so, maybe less, and it struck me as a touch low even then for as pretty a rifle. I guess the local populace wasn't prepared to handload for it. I often wish I would have been able to get that rifle.

It was popular back in the 60's and early 70's especially in Springfield 03 actions. Lots of 30-06 actions were rechambered to 308 Norma. But when the 300 magnums started to take off the Norma lost ground. There are still lots of really cool old guns out there chambered in 308 Norma and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with one.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I think I might go for it, assuming I can find one.

If you're going to reload make sure you can source components for it. It would be a shame to purchase a nice rifle and have difficulty finding ammo or components for it. You could always resize 338WM brass but it's easier to work with the original product IMO. I guess you could neck up 7mm Rem Mag brass in a pinch. Same specs as 338WM, & 300WM brass. If you really like the Norma line then another option would be the 358 Norma Mag. It almost rivals the 375H&H. It would allow you to dispatch bigger "meanies" while still maintaning "the cool factor"! I thought about the 358NM myself but I have a 375H&H, and 9.3x62 so it's a bit redundant, but as firearms enthusiasts we're a bit nuts because we always seem to want one more! Even if we don't need it! Funny how that works ;)

I have acquired one on a Mauser action however I've only just been able to source kit to make ammo this week I just hope she shoots.

But everything I read looks like an outstanding option for lots of hunting.

I have a 308 norma magnum by Doumoulin from Leige Belgium ...built on a std Mauser action ......very easy to load for ......3 out of the 5 test loads were MOA or less off the bench ....

Technically more efficient than the 300 win or any of their kin .......

If you're going to reload make sure you can source components for it. It would be a shame to purchase a nice rifle and have difficulty finding ammo or components for it. You could always resize 338WM brass but it's easier to work with the original product IMO. I guess you could neck up 7mm Rem Mag brass in a pinch. Same specs as 338WM, & 300WM brass. If you really like the Norma line then another option would be the 358 Norma Mag. It almost rivals the 375H&H. It would allow you to dispatch bigger "meanies" while still maintaning "the cool factor"! I thought about the 358NM myself but I have a 375H&H, and 9.3x62 so it's a bit redundant, but as firearms enthusiasts we're a bit nuts because we always seem to want one more! Even if we don't need it! Funny how that works ;)
Well I have an update to my post....I'm having a 358 NM built! Yay Me! I started a thread about the project last spring I think. Barrel just showed up at the gunsmith so hopefully I'll have the finished product in the early fall. Got all the components for reloading just waiting for completed project to dispatch reloads with! Looking forward to to it.

Well I have an update to my post....I'm having a 358 NM built! Yay Me! I started a thread about the project last spring I think. Barrel just showed up at the gunsmith so hopefully I'll have the finished product in the early fall. Got all the components for reloading just waiting for completed project to dispatch reloads with! Looking forward to to it.

Took another look at this thread, did you get the project done? How did it turn out?

Took another look at this thread, did you get the project done? How did it turn out?
Gunsmith just started work on it. Hopefully might be ready by the end of Feb. Thanks for asking. Whilst I was waiting for it to start getting worked on I got bored, so I bought a rifle or...uhmm...half dozen LOL. Two 7x64's, two more 7x57's, 35 Whelen (cool calibre), 444 Marlin (1974 DOM), 7mm STW. Don't think I'm forgetting anybody.

308 !
Ahhhhh.
Love it !!1
Do not stand in front of it !!!!
Kil anything life has to offer !!!

I have three, A Custom build on a P14 action, Browning FN Mauser safari , and a Parker Hale Safari in 308NM. Norma used to load a the 180 Vulcan bullet which was my go to round for caribou. But Norma now only loads the oryx bullet which I a starting to experiment with. As stated by the previous gentleman above you cant go wrong with a 308NM ,its a keeper. Id try a Swift A frame in your part of the world.

cheers
Pat

For purposes of being in country near DG where your PG rifle may need to save your life, wouldn't the 300HH have two or three edges?

Easy to find brass and factory loads

Best loading, least likely to jam of all .30s

Long neck allows use of heavier bullets up to 240gr not possible with most other .30s

Higher resale value

Just asking the question, not ripping on the caliber in question.

I don't know whether the H&H version will have the edge on factory loads, but in all other respects I think it is a wash. The Norma has a nice long neck that will accommodate the heavier bullets. I think these two calibers are functionally very similar but the Norma is the more efficient cartridge. Also, total PITA to get brass for so it makes it all the more endearing to the reloader;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!