308 Norma Magnum

DM Shooting

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.dmshooting.co.uk
I picked a comercial action Mauser in 308 at auction to build a nice classic stalking rifle. However when I started checking things the rifling looked quite good but the bolt face had been opened up, so some deeper looking at the proof marks it turns out it's not the assumed 308 win but 308 N Mag.

So what are people's thoughts on this round seems hard to get ammo for but could be useable.

It's a light profile barrel and would go in a classic British style stock. So rebarrel or see how she shoots?

I would definitely see how she shoots, 308 Norma is a fine cartridge. Though it never gained the following of some of the other 300's even though it preceded most of them. Brass is still available if you load your own. I see loaded ammo from time to time at the gun shows. The 308 Norma was a popular competition cartridge into the 80's and is a very efficient cartridge that fits neatly into an '06 length action. Hopefully you have a gem on your hands!
Cheers,
Cody

The most accurate .30 caliber rifle I have ever owned was a .308 Norma built on a 1903 Springfield action, never should have let it get away. I would shoot it if I were you, you might have a real gem!

In a pinch you can make cases from the .338 Winchester magnum and as far as I know Norma is still turning out ammo and brass.

Go Norma. Great cartridge with a lot of cred.

Sounds like a good find. I never understood how we didn't value the Norma mags more.

Have a doumoulin rifle out of Leige. .Belgium an amazing rifle light sporter barrel complete with supressor ...

Will do .5 thru. 75 moa if the mk1 human does his bit.

And being from liege some of the best English style gunmaking. .. safe to say I love the calibre and rifle ....found it to be very forgiving on reloading

The 308 NM is basically what the 300WM aspired to being but Winchester was too late to the party... The Norma is a better design than the Winnie. I often wonder how much being called a "308" harmed its image and thus popularity as a 300 magnum? Obviously there is now a 300 Norma Mag too, which is a very different beast.

I thought long and hard about the 308 NM but opted for the 300 H&H - very seldom is the daughter prettier than the mother! Ha ha! You need to be at the very edge of the performance envelope to find any meaningful differences between the 308 NM, the 300 WM and 300 H&H.

As has been mentioned, Norma still produces brass in this caliber, so no issues sourcing quality components. Even here in South Africa, there are die sets floating around, so you shouldn't have too much trouble locating some.
In theory it should be a very accurate round, arguably more so than the H&H and WM, both of which have some long range accuracy credentials.

The 308 NM is basically what the 300WM aspired to being but Winchester was too late to the party... The Norma is a better design than the Winnie. I often wonder how much being called a "308" harmed its image and thus popularity as a 300 magnum? Obviously there is now a 300 Norma Mag too, which is a very different beast.

I thought long and hard about the 308 NM but opted for the 300 H&H - very seldom is the daughter prettier than the mother! Ha ha! You need to be at the very edge of the performance envelope to find any meaningful differences between the 308 NM, the 300 WM and 300 H&H.

As has been mentioned, Norma still produces brass in this caliber, so no issues sourcing quality components. Even here in South Africa, there are die sets floating around, so you shouldn't have too much trouble locating some.
In theory it should be a very accurate round, arguably more so than the H&H and WM, both of which have some long range accuracy credentials.
300 h&h I aspire to just waiting on the savage rifle arriving to get to work on it

Well brass is the struggle, so looking at forming some for more accessible cases.

338 WM is hard to find here
300 h&h and 300 WM need lots more steps

Has anyone tried 7mm rem mag I can get hold of it and sounds like it'll work but very little from people who have done it.

I was at local GS this afternoon and they had 6 boxes of Norma Factory loaded on the shelf!

Sorry I can't help. It is not a problem to find here in the US, currently, but you have a great caliber in the 308 Norma Mag., I always wanted one, not very prevalent in this country. Try this, a longshot but may help....Google. Brownellsuk.com....they show your brass for reloading for sale in UK pound sterling. Also Google Midwayuk.com may be available also....just a possibility, good luck.....if it were legal I would get it here and ship to you but......not legal.

Last edited:
Federal regulation out of the US must go thru a export license broker, Very expensive.. Easy to acquire thru post within the US....no problem or issues, ships without any problem , just cannot ship outside the continental US, not even to Canada, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross