300 yard eland shoulder shot with a .308 - would you take it?

Thanks for the report Technologist! That is a nice looking Eland, and I bet you are already thinking of ways to get back to SA!! ;) Kevin

personally I would use anything smaller than a 338 WM on Eland .

I have only ever shot one eland but I have shot a bunch of Canadian moose and elk with the .308 out to about 250 meters. all of them were killed efficiently. I think the .308 is a very adequate moose cartridge. However, I was not happy with my eland experience. I was using the PH's 30-06, with good Barnes 165 gr. TSX bullets in an accurate Sako rifle similar to one I had at home. Eland was a measured 265 meters, quartering away, moving very slowly broadside. I slightly pulled the shot rearward, and put the bullet through the near edge of the diaphragm and angling forward into the opposite lung. I shot at the running eland at about 320 meters or so and just hit the dewlap under the neck. Then I hit again at about 400, breaking a front leg at the elbow because I had failed to allow for enough bullet drop. Then we began the follow up, and I shot that poor bugger three more times, a couple minutes between shots, each shot right through both lungs before he finally dropped.
My advice for your .308 is to use it, with good tough bullets, but stalk a little closer than 300 yards/meters. I think 200 is a sensible max. Make sure you make a double lung shot ( like my brother did with the same rifle/cartridge) and you will have no problem. But get an eland's adrenalin up, and they are incredibly tenacious!
I plan to go eland hunting again, but next time I will bring my .375. Not because it's necessary, but for my own peace of mind.
Good luck on your hunt!

For me the best part of the hunt is the stalking.

yes ,it is.
A wounded animal is no honorable work.
Wounded and not found is full price.
Foxi

Well the ballistics chart tells me that a 165 gr. Triple Shock has about 1500 ft lbs of energy at 300 yds so it is more than enough. Why the obsession with shoulder shots? I never saw an animal survive a double lung shot for very long.

personally I would use anything smaller than a 338 WM on Eland .
I've used a .300 win mag and had excellent results, but I wasn't at 300 yards. I think the .308 should be enough, in theory, but you don't have much room for error in shot placement at that distance. And when an eland starts to run, it can run for miles. Personally I'd rather use a .300 than a .308. No one would (or should) laugh at you for using a .375 either.

...I suppose it would be advisable to not hit the shoulder bone...

With a proper caliber, there is no "hopefully I don't hit big bone". The answer is in your trepidation over suitability of the cartridge.

Reactions: Ado
Longwalker, any animal hit in only one lung is going to run a LONG ways. You still have one functioning lung. I still believe the 308 Win is enough but you have to shot well not just good.

308 @ 300 yards - no shot at an eland

I agree with the comments in this thread that your PH would probably not let you take his shot.

Now...

308 @ 150 yards - yes
300wm @ 200 yards - yes
375 @ 300 yards - yes

But frankly where is the hunting in a 300 yard shot? Stalk closer and if you don't get a shot then stalk again, and again, and again... That is hunting.

Ado

With a proper caliber, there is no "hopefully I don't hit big bone". The answer is in your trepidation over suitability of the cartridge.

Well said Diamondhitch, well said indeed.

Get yourself a good scope with bullet drop compensation marks, load up some ammo with A frame 180 grain bullets and go forth and slay mighty beasts. I would be willing to make a sizable wager your PH will be able to get you much closer than 300 meters Good hunting.

For what it is worth, No. I've shot 2 eland with a 300 win mag and 180 gr TTSX's but they were both around 100 -150 yards. The first was a lucky running shot that severed a main artery (DRT). The second was a monster . Took out top of heart and double lunged. Only went about 50 yards but it took too long to die. A bigger hole would have been nice. Watching an eland die is a sad thing. With a heavy for caliber projectile (180 gr) I think a 308 would be ok, just keep max range around 100 yards or so.

Shot mine with a Barnes TSX 350gr at about 100 yds just under the chin and into the lungs. He still ran almost half a mile before lying down. Took a couple more to finish him. They are huge and can really soak up some lead. I'd say nothing lighter than 9.3x62 and max range about 150 yds.

.308 Win, 300 yards, Eland bull, big one 1000 lbs....200 more than a Cape buffalo....

Open plains areas NW or Freestate maybe....
Anything with a lot of bush..no..

What bullet?

I would not....not at 300 yards anyway....

Shot mine with a Barnes TSX 350gr at about 100 yds just under the chin and into the lungs. He still ran almost half a mile before lying down. Took a couple more to finish him. They are huge and can really soak up some lead. I'd say nothing lighter than 9.3x62 and max range about 150 yds.
Good advice but a 300 H&H with a 200gr bullet is a very good starting point.....

Why are people digging up 6 year old threads?

I should say threads that haven't been posted on in 6 years.

Hello!

If all goes well, next year I might be going to South Africa with my dad for plains game hunting. I've been craving a nice, light .308 for about a year and I'm getting to a point where I'm feeling a firearm purchase might be justified. I live in Sweden and our unarmored moose are no match for .308 boomsticks. Neither are our brown bears. I want to get the 20" .308 to use as my "only" hunting rifle. It will be enough for all Swedish hunts, and this South Africa trip won't be a frequently reoccuring thing. I might get a .300 win mag in the future but it's not at the top of my "to buy" list. I don't want to have to buy two rifles, I'm on a student budget.

I believe in volume practicing and marksmanship. I often hear people say any caliber is good enough for any animal, only to find out they are talking brain shots. I'm not comfortable with brain shots, to me shot placement means lungs and/or shoulders and lungs. The heart is a bonus.

I know this subject is old and rehashed, but would you consider the .308 enough for eland, even at a range of 300 yards, even if you were intending to go for the shoulder?

Would I be fine hunting Eland with a 20" .308 that I had practiced a lot with?

Thank you.
@Technologist
The 308 is in now way a 300 yard eland rifle it just hasn't got the power. Even with my 35 Whelen that hits a lot harder I personally wouldn't use it at that range on eland even tho both the gun and shooter are capable of doing it.
It's not worth the risk of losing an animal. You should be able to get a lot closer to garruntee your shot.
Bob

If your PH is asking you to make a shot at an Eland at 300 yards with a 308WIN...
You don't need a bigger caliber, you need a new PH.
One who can get you closer AND wouldn't let you bring a 308WIN on an Eland hunt.

Eland are HUGE animals and wicked tough.
The good Doctari recommends starting at .338 caliber, with a minimum of 220 grain bullets.
Although he really likes the 9.3mm's and .375's better.

Took mine with a 375H&H with 300 grain Swift A-Frames at 100 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg