300 wsm

clint21

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Ok,

After some good replys to my last thread about the 325 wsm, i will be sticking to a 300. But do many hunters in africa use the 300 wsm. I know the gun has not been around as lond as the win mag and from what i can see the ballistics are not that much different to the 300 win wag. The only bennefit is the shorter action and a little lighter. What do the african hunters think about the wsm.
Cheers Clint

Used it last week to take everything from Springbuck to Kudu & wildebeest... worked perfectly.

I have seen it in use by my hunting partner s daughter in two hunts, and it has performed perfectly.

Thank's for the reply's.

.325 WSM is a better caliber, just not a lot of ammo floating around. 300 WSM is another great caliber, my brother has one and I love his gun.

I can't imagine any of the PG after having been properly hit with a bullet from a .300WSM living to being thankful that they weren't hit with the same properly placed bullet from a .300WM. Go forth and hunt with confidence.

.325 WSM is a better caliber, just not a lot of ammo floating around. 300 WSM is another great caliber, my brother has one and I love his gun.
After studying ballistic charts, performance of the two are similar and the differences are negligible. Certainly game wouldn’t notice. I don’t own a 300wsm (I own 325wsm). But I have read that 1000 yard records were set with the 300. Some have said the 300 doesn’t do as well as the 325 with 200 and 220 grain bullets. Maybe in hunting rifles. Although, with long heavy barrels(30” plus), the 300 has set those 1000 yard records with 210s in weight. What I like about the 300 is I can do a simple barrel swap from 325 to 300 if I get bored or wear out my 325s. The 300 definitely wins in ammo availability, components and rifles being chambered in the cartridge. Performance pretty much the same. One distinct advantage of the 325 is that during ammo shortages, the less popular 8mm projectiles are easier to get early on during such shortages. Have fun, shoot safe.

The only thing I would mention is traveling and hunting, which is what this website is all about. For that, the all of the WSM chambering are lacking when it comes to availability.

I owned a 300WSM Savage model 16 Bear Hunter and consider it one of my weaker decisions when it comes to firearms. Not that it was a Savage or a Bear Hunter, because stainless and synthetic is on-brand for me. It was the caliber and lack of being able to shoot bullets above 180 grains without compressing the powder. Options that remain open for a 30-06 and 300WM without having to single feed.

Have used a 300 wsm on 2 trips to Africa out of 5. 1st trip I ran Barnes tsx. Everything needed a couple rounds put in it and they were placed right. Was thinking I didn't bring enough gun. Friend had me change over to accubonds for the next trip. Did an excellent job on everything . I wouldn't hesitate a bit on the round up to elend.
As far as avalablity of rounds in Africa I wouldn't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!