300 Wby mag. Good choice?

Well if you say so, but I dont see how its possible for a .300 WSM to kick less than a .243Win, unless the .243 weighs 2 pounds and the WSM about 15.:confused:

The 300 is a heavier gun compared to the others for sure. I think the combination of the brake, recoil pad and stock design definitely contribute to the lack of 'felt' recoil. When it came back from the gunsmith I thought we were shooting bad loads but more were reloaded, chrony'd them and was pleasantly surprised that it was the same as before he'd worked on it. My buddies 10 year old son shoots it as well as his 12 year old daughter. He's got a 300 min mag, I have my 300 Wby mag and I have a friend with a 300 RUM and they all boot compared to the short mag. Another friend has a 300 short mag and is scared to shoot it... A lot can be done with pads, brakes and design.

I too am a lefty with a long gun. I am right handed for every thing else, but am left eye dominant so as a kid I could not do the one eyed wink with my right eye. Strange how this stuff works. My Dad is a lefty but does everything with guns and sports right handed except base ball. I always avoided bolt action long guns because of this. I also don't care for semi autos. My solution was to use a pump rifles and shot guns. My deer hunting gun of choice is a Remington model 7600 in 30.06. It is the gun I am bringing to South Africa this August for a plains game hunt. It is available in a variety of calibers and would not be cost prohibitive ($400 to $500 new) for a first time rifle. It is surprisingly accurate for a moderately priced weapon too. I shoot 1 inch 3 shot groups with mine at 200 yards frequently.

I too shoot left handed. Remington and Browning both make good left handed models in 7-08, .270, 25-06, .308 and others. I have some of both brands and am happy with both, plus some custom built left handed wildcats and yes even some right handed rifles. If you are going for fast second or third follow up shots the left handed are quicker if shooting left handed. You can never have too many guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!