300 RUM

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by BARTFRNCS, Jun 14, 2011.

1. BARTFRNCS

BARTFRNCS AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RMEF DU SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
    Whats the general opinion of this round from those who have used it on game?

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Friend has one and he loves it. Claims the ballistics are better than the 300WM. He is a little guy and hunts everything with it. Personally, I have no idea.

3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    It's a very strong caliber for big game. A lot of people love it because it shoots a 30 cal. bullet very flat, very fast and kills game quickly. It does have a lot of recoil and noise to me. Good for most plains game and North American game or sheep hunting in the many other spots around the world.

4. TERMINATOR

TERMINATOR AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA (Life), EX Member Safari Club Intl
    Hunted:
    USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Namibia, Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right) and R.S.A.
    If a guy can shoot it without shutting his eyes, jerking the trigger and flinching....

Same with .300 Wby, same with .300 Win Mag and the short mags.

I am a fan of shooting the boomer cartridges as long as a guy can still hit with them. I love my .300 Wby and the .300 RUM is a shade hotter.

5. WST416

WST416 AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, Member of Denver SCI chapter, DU
    Hunted:
    US,Canada,Argentina,Botswana,South Africa
    Its an ok cartridge, just like all the 30 cal magnums. It excels a little on the heavier bullets over the weatherby and win but not really on the 180gr and down. When I shot one we had when they first came out through the chrono with factory ammo it was the same or within 15fps of the 300 weatherby we had with the 180s. I never did reload the 300RUM, so hand loading with different powders my produce a little more fps, and the newer factory ammo my be slightly faster then the old but for me I still prefer the Weatherby and even the Winchester.

6. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Had one, keyword is had. That was the hardest kicking rifle I've shot and was certainly the source of my caution when I first shot my .375 H&H. I'd much rather shoot the .375. A friend of mine has the .300 RUM and near as I can tell it is a killing machine. We both shot the same load, don't remember the recipe, but it was accurate.

The recoil was just more than I wanted to deal with. Shoot it with a muzzle brake and it's certainly tolerable but if you don't have hearing protection in, you're ears will be ringing for hours. Ask me how I know.

7. duckman90

duckman90 AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    DU
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, USA
    I have one... I love it, I don't think the recoil is all that bad... the effect it has on game is fairly spectacular... It shines in the long range department, It has more power at 400 yards than a 30-6 does at the muzzle... Mine has a removable break on it, I did that so I can shoot it with the break on here in the states, and when I go to Africa or Alaska where I am hunting with a guide I can take it off. On my rifle the POI doesn't really change that much... I still re-zero. I have never noticed the recoil when I was shooting at game... Given I am not a real big guy... 5'10'' 180lbs...

8. huntingbigun

huntingbigun AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
    Hunted:
    USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari & Limpopa)
    I have a Remington 700 Sendero with Jewell trigger and stock work, Flat shooting loves Retumba and 200 grains. ELk to Whitetail I use it, it is heavy barrel gun and large scope so that does offset the kick a little, it will bump ya but in THIS gun just heavy push. IF you have shot opportunity 500 yards and out it is the ticket. Better reload as pricey ammo

9. arizona

arizona SILVER SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africia, Botswana, Alaska, Canada, Most Western US
    Great round IMO, used one in Bots and both my 14 year old grand daughter and I had one shot kills on everything except 1 eland that took two to be sure, very flat shooting and accurate. I don't find the recoil to be a problem with the right rifle