.300 H&H

Von Dutch

Reaction score
Media
Dear Forum , I have recently acquired a .300 H&H and would value the opinions of any memebers that have experience with the .300 H&H and RWS Cone Point projectiles & Norma Vulcan projectiles.

regards
Von Dutch

Cant help with those projectiles but I do like the round, have had a few over the years, currently own a pre 64 model 70 Winchester.

Cant help with those projectiles but I do like the round, have had a few over the years, currently own a pre 64 model 70 Winchester.

Got any loads you'd be willing to share?

I am still finding my way with this one but in my former Rem 700 Classic I had great luck with Re22 and 200 gr Nosler Partitons. 68 grs which is max (silly disclaimer inserted here) gave about 2850 fps. Hits game hard.

Just had one built and it is being shipped tomorrow.

Hello Von Dutch!

The Cone point bullet of RWS worked fine for me in 375 H&H to european games. ( more than a hundred times)
You can trust it.

I don't have one but it's a great round! A classic. Kinda like saying I own one of Rigby's calibres.

Norma Vulcan is rather soft bullets.Used them in 7mm rem for moose
before oryx came. They always separated.
They are still popular here for pigs and bears where you
want fast effect.

The 300 H&H a true classic and one of my favorites. I have a lovely Pre-War Model 70 and it shoots great. I would experiment with H-4831 and magnum primers and tweak it with the 200 grain pill it likes the most. Mine will shoot 200 Grain Sierra boat-tails into one hole at 100 yards and seems to hold MOA grouping out to extended distances. Although the Sierra bullets is a winner for accuracy I discard it when going after big game. The Sierra driven at the top velocities that the H&H can muster comes apart quickly on game at shorter ranges and ruins a lot of meat, and it also may fail to reach the vitals if heavy bone is encountered. Although I can't quite duplicate the accuracy potential with a 200 gr. Nosler Partition it still shoots very well and has proven to be an outstanding killer of light to medium game(Mule Deer, Elk, and Oryx) as close or as far off as one should make a try on a fine game animal.

I have a good friend who hoards 300 H&H rifles (has four Pre-64 Supergrades. ( the bum and won't sell me one. LOL! He swears by 200 Gr. Barnes X in this cartridge and he has almost convinced me to switch from my Nosler Partitions). Almost.....

I have used other 300's the great Weatherby, the Winchester, and they are great tools but for shear sex appeal and performance you won't go wrong with the classic 300 Holland!

Dear Forum , I have recently acquired a .300 H&H and would value the opinions of any memebers that have experience with the .300 H&H and RWS Cone Point projectiles & Norma Vulcan projectiles.

regards
Von Dutch

Hello Von Dutch,

Welcome to the best forum on earth.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with RWS and Norma ammunition.
By reputation, something called the "Torpedo Bullet" or "TUG" bullet, (German made by RWS?) is reportedly very effective on game, appropriate to whatever caliber and bullet weight you are using, when a soft point is called for.

In regards to the .300 H&H, as others here have already said, it is a very fine hunting cartridge.
Over my lifetime, I have owned Three of them, Two were older Remington Model 721 and One was built for me by an excellent Gunsmith (Dave Cabboth), on a 1950's vintage FN Mauser '98 action.
The Mauser I took to Africa, (Namibia) for my first Safari, about 13 or 14 years ago, with 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets, at a little over 2800 feet per second.

This Mauser was fitted with a 4x Zeiss scope, containing standard straight crosswires, mounted in low rings.
This combination proved extremely effective on 12 animals, from somewhat larger ones such as, Burchell's Zebra and Common Kudu, down to smaller ones such as, springbok and steenbok.
The ranges included very short range (about 40 or 50 paces), clear out to over 400 metres (according to the PH's laser range finder).
The .300 H&H and 180 grain pointed bullet, leaving the muzzle at about 2800+ fps, is my favorite caliber when hunting deer/antelope/zebra/swine and such, when the land / foliage is more open, as is the case in much of Namibia (and many parts of Alaska, where I live.)

With it I have taken animals on two continents and would happily also take it to Hawaii as well, where I have a couple of times, hunted sheep and goat.
Hopefully, a Hawaiian boar hunt, will be in my future there one day.
However, Hawaii gun laws are simply ridiculous and the abundance of thieves preying upon Tourists there is out of control so, I just rent a rifle from the Guide each time.

You cannot go wrong with the .300 H&H, provided you choose the right bullet for it, according to the types of animals sought and the conditions you plan to hunt in.
My personal feelings are that, it is the very best of the .300 Magnums, in that it has a long, gradually sloping shoulder, resulting in very slick feeding/extraction, also a bit less recoil than most of the newer-faster .30 Magnums, and rifles in the original H&H version just seem to always be exceptionally accurate, for some unknown reason.
Among a select few other "naturally accurate" cartridges, the .222 Remington caliber seems to enjoy this same difficult to explain consistent exceptional accuracy - no matter how cheap the rifle was to purchase in the first place - phenomenon.

At any rate, you have bought a rifle, chambered in one of the very best hunting calibers ever conceived, no doubt about that.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Excellent Gunsmith, Dave Caboth, not "Cabbot".

image.jpeg
180 grain SST at 360yards on 2" bull
image.jpeg
180grain SST running at 2,880 fps at 100yards

I am loving this caliber.
Tried to bump the 180grain up to 3,000fps but can't get the group.

image.jpeg
This is the 200grain Nosler running at 2,750 fps on a windy day but still have sub MOA at 100yards.
@sestoppelman you think it's worth me trying to get that extra 100 fps???

Will Be trying 200grain TSX next.
Good luck & enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 160120 180 grain SST at 360yards on 2" bull
View attachment 160118 180grain SST running at 2,880 fps at 100yards

I am loving this caliber.
Tried to bump the 180grain up to 3,000fps but can't get the group.

View attachment 160121 This is the 200grain Nosler running at 2,750 fps on a windy day but still have sub MOA at 100yards.
@sestoppelman you think it's worth me trying to get that extra 100 fps???

Good luck & enjoy

Very nice! What powder are you using?

I am in South Africa using S365 on 180g and S385 on 200g
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html

Thanks. While you're velocities may be a bit on the low side, it's darn hard to argue with the accuracy which is fantastic. I'd stick with what you have.

One other note, if you've bought the 200gr TSX bullets, well then go ahead and give them a go. But they are very long and you may not be able to get the good speed to stabilize them. As such accuracy may not be that good. Furthermore with the very high weight retention, 180gr should be plenty in that bullet.

Last edited:
Gents , thanks for the replies , work commitments have prevented me from actually shooting my .300 H&H , I have owned it for almost 2 months and have not fired a shot in anger.
I have acquired some 180 Grain Vulcans, 220 Grain Sierras and some 165 grain Hornady Interlocks which I intend to use on feral pigs. I have a good supply of N160 which I intend to try first as a starting powder.

regards
Mike.

I tried some Barnes TTSX 180 gr bullets with R22 and H4831. Liked the R22 better, no real surprise there to me at least. One load was all touching. And my old standby load of a full charge of R22 with the 200 gr Nosler Partition groups right around MOA for 5 shots which is plenty good.

I've found these to be extremely accurate in my H&H - pushing them with S385 too. Unfortunately the local cost on these has blown out as the ZAR has tried to copy its Zimbabwean cousin...
So I'm now trying the Peregrine VRG4 in 200gr, still early days in the load development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg