300 H&H reloading help

damundsen87

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I just purchased a new rifle in 300 H&H mag and am looking for some advice on what works best with this cartridge as it is completely new to me. What powder/bullet combos work the best and any other info you might have to share would be appreciated.

I'm a little late to the party.

I suspect you have not heard back simply because your request is too general.

We don't know if you are hunting 80 pound deer in Florida or Eland in RSA!

In general, you will find powders ranging is burning rate from IMR4064 through IMR7828 or Reloader 19 through Reloader 25 to be most useful (for lighter to heavier bullets, respectively).

Without knowing how you plan to use the rifle, it would be difficult to make any specific recommendations.

Game type and typical range of shot would be most helpful.

I just realized as well I am not sure where you are. Some powders/bullets are unobtanium in some places.

Tim

I appreciate the reply after reading my post I see what you are saying. I intend the rifle to be for larger Game here in the states at ranges from 100 to 450 yards. I have a 7x57 and 6.5x55 that I use for deer and antelope so the H&H is for the big stuff, elk and so on, plus kudu and the like if I ever get to Africa. I am looking for 180 Gr. and larger I am especially interested in the woodleigh bullets because they just seem appropriate for this cartridge. I have had pretty good success with IMR 4350 and 4831 with speer bullets but I want to push a bit heavier bullet because it is my "heavy" rifle for the time being

Load up some 200gr Nosler Partitions ahead of Reloder 22 and you should find a real good load near the top end, check the manuals for max, I forget. My brother took this load to Namibia a few years back and it did great on game up to kudu and wildebeest.

Ok ill have to try that out I think I actually have some r22 around here somewhere and they had some 200 partitions at the sportsmans warehouse

My data:

ScreenShot2014-02-05at103314PM_zps52659ea0.png

ScreenShot2014-02-05at103329PM_zps6f7ec544.png

ScreenShot2014-02-05at103400PM_zps08f47f9c.png

Attachments

• ScreenShot2014-02-05at103314PM_zps52659ea1.jpg
    ScreenShot2014-02-05at103314PM_zps52659ea1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 510
  • ScreenShot2014-02-05at103329PM_zps6f7ec544.jpg
    ScreenShot2014-02-05at103329PM_zps6f7ec544.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 653
  • ScreenShot2014-02-05at103400PM_zps08f47f9c.jpg
    ScreenShot2014-02-05at103400PM_zps08f47f9c.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 609
180 TSX and 67.5gr. of Ramshot Hunter at 2,950 fps is what I took to Africa.

I have some 23o gr Burger Bullets that I want use to terminate some "griz" in Alaska next year with my Win. model 70 .3oo H&H pre 64 mag, and I would like some terrific info from the elite members of this organization on reloading some Norma Brass, using 250 CCI primers, using any powder you think is the best(name it), with an option on why you think and "KNOW" this is the best powder and load for this cartridge using a 230 gr VLP Burger Bullet with the above brass,primer, and powder to get a couple of "GRIZ" down for my hunt in Alaska next year! I may even take a wolf, wolverine, Barren Ground Caribou, Moose, and Dall Sheep, if the hunt goes right and the reloading is what I need to accomplish this good hunt! PS I have already hunted in Alaska, and taken a 39 and a half inch Dall Sheep and a Double Shovel Caribou! All of the above were taken with my pre 64 Win .300 H&H mag using 200 gr bullets with CCI 250 primers and Norma Brass, using H4830 powder. The sheep was taken at about 425 yds and the DS Caribou at around 185 yds.
Any data that anyone has about the above request from this great Hunting Organization would be sincerely appreciated!
Happy Holidays to one and all and may each of you have the very best hunting you have ever enjoyed in the coming new year!!!!!
Bob

I have some 23o gr Burger Bullets that I want use to terminate some "griz" in Alaska next year with my Win. model 70 .3oo H&H pre 64 mag, and I would like some terrific info from the elite members of this organization on reloading some Norma Brass, using 250 CCI primers, using any powder you think is the best(name it), with an option on why you think and "KNOW" this is the best powder and load for this cartridge using a 230 gr VLP Burger Bullet with the above brass,primer, and powder to get a couple of "GRIZ" down for my hunt in Alaska next year!
Bob

None of us here KNOW what will work best in your rifle. Try the usual suspects for the heaviest bullets in the 30 Super (Reloader 22 & 25, IMR 7828, H4831SC and others similar) and you will not be far off.

Have you used this Berger on heavy, potentially dangerous game?

I have no experience with it, so can't comment on it except to say I had no idea Berger made a bullet suitable for Griz.

Tim

Hello Damundsen87,

I have owned three rifles in this caliber, two unaltered Remington Model 721's and one custom Model 98 Mauser that, I had built for me.

Each one of them shot like target rifles with almost anything I tried in them but, I have only hunted in Africa with one brand/model of bullet in this cartridge, so far.

It was the 180 grain Nosler Partition in that Mauser and I shot it at a little over 2800 fps, for 12 animals in Namibia (I load for accuracy, not so much concerned with the last inch per second of velocity from any cartridge).

Shortest shot was about 50 yds/Texas heart shot on a running steenbok and longest shot was a bit over 400 yds/juncture of throat and brisket on a standing gemsbok (PH had early model Leica Range Finding binoculars).

There were no eland or giraffe where I was so, if I was to hunt that area again, I would not hesitate to use that same load again there (I have little to no interest in hunting giraffe at this stage of my life anyway so, I guess giraffe is a "pointless point" here).

In other words, I recommend the 180 gr N. Partition in the good old .300 H&H, for open country hunting conditions, as long as the animals hunted are not approaching the well-over 1,000 pounds or more body weight.

Merry Christmas,
Velo Dog.

FWIW I read years ago that the .257 Roberts, the .270 Winchester, and the .300 H&H Magnum had the potential to shoot bullets of the same Sectional Density at the same velocities. Just thought I'd purge myself of that little tidbit of information so I can now forget it.
Anyway, for the .300 H&H - powders in the IMR-4064 burning range for the lighter bullets, powders in the IMR-4350 burning range for medium weight bullets, and powders in the H-4831 burning range for heavier bullets. You can expand it from there according to the bullets and powders you can find or have on hand in your neighborhood.
I've found the .300 H&H is not too picky about powders or bullets. That's one of the great benefits of its mid-capacity case - versatility. So get out your favorite loading book, match what you have to what the book says, and go from there.
And don't forget to let us know what works for you and your new rifle.

Has anyone tried RL15? Barnes has it listed for WSM load data, and I have read that the two are interchangeable. It’s almost 10gr lower than any other powder for nearly the same velocity.

Very old thread, but fastest powder I have ever used in this round is IMR4350 and its one of the best. As I posted years ago now above, Reloder 22 works very well with 200 gr Noslers.
My model 70 likes the 4350 with 190g Sierra bullets, a lot.

I've got 2 of them. Most accurate load is 180 gr Hdy Interbond w/ near max load of H4350.
My hunting load is 180 gr Interbond or Nosler Acubond pushed by H4831.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!