300 H&H reloading help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by damundsen87, Oct 31, 2013.

1. damundsen87

damundsen87 New Member

I just purchased a new rifle in 300 H&H mag and am looking for some advice on what works best with this cartridge as it is completely new to me. What powder/bullet combos work the best and any other info you might have to share would be appreciated.
  2. tarbe

tarbe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

I'm a little late to the party.

I suspect you have not heard back simply because your request is too general.

We don't know if you are hunting 80 pound deer in Florida or Eland in RSA!

In general, you will find powders ranging is burning rate from IMR4064 through IMR7828 or Reloader 19 through Reloader 25 to be most useful (for lighter to heavier bullets, respectively).

Without knowing how you plan to use the rifle, it would be difficult to make any specific recommendations.

Game type and typical range of shot would be most helpful.

I just realized as well I am not sure where you are. Some powders/bullets are unobtanium in some places.

Tim
  3. damundsen87

damundsen87 New Member

I appreciate the reply after reading my post I see what you are saying. I intend the rifle to be for larger Game here in the states at ranges from 100 to 450 yards. I have a 7x57 and 6.5x55 that I use for deer and antelope so the H&H is for the big stuff, elk and so on, plus kudu and the like if I ever get to Africa. I am looking for 180 Gr. and larger I am especially interested in the woodleigh bullets because they just seem appropriate for this cartridge. I have had pretty good success with IMR 4350 and 4831 with speer bullets but I want to push a bit heavier bullet because it is my "heavy" rifle for the time being
  4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Load up some 200gr Nosler Partitions ahead of Reloder 22 and you should find a real good load near the top end, check the manuals for max, I forget. My brother took this load to Namibia a few years back and it did great on game up to kudu and wildebeest.
  5. damundsen87

damundsen87 New Member

Ok ill have to try that out I think I actually have some r22 around here somewhere and they had some 200 partitions at the sportsmans warehouse
  6. rnovi

rnovi AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    My data:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. rnovi

rnovi AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    180 TSX and 67.5gr. of Ramshot Hunter at 2,950 fps is what I took to Africa.