30-06...Which Rifle?

Moisin - Congrats on planning your safari! I went last year & am already planning on going back. I used a borrowed rifle from my PH - a Sako 375, older gun with control round feed, even though we only shot plains game with it. Loved it & glad I did use the rifle he suggested. Main reason I went rented was because I was traveling in Senegal 2 weeks prior to safari & Senegal would not let me bring the gun in w/o a reason...

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth. A bit of background: I am 57, a shooter & a hunter for 30+ years & own a retail gun shop. I only say this to say I get to handle a lot of weapons; I am not trying to use the board to sell you anything.

I own 2 CZ rifles: both 527 mini Mauser model. One in 22 Hornet & one in 204 Ruger. Both boringly accurate. Love them. Mainly use them for varmint, target & bench shooting & keeping me tuned up. Did I say I love them??? Only drawback - to me - the safety is reverse of what most American guns are: push forward for safe, pull back to fire. To me, it's a non issue as I usually shoot off a bench & when we are not shooting, changing targets etc., the bolt is open & mag is out of the gun. Other than that, I love them (have I mentioned that???) Very sweet handling, accurate, great value & wonderful trigger & workmanship. Their 550 series is VERY hard to beat - very good quality & value.

For hunting, I have settled on Sako rifles. As a Sako Select dealer I I get to handle & shoot alot of these. Again -boringly accurate! My 1st Sako was a Finnlight in 243. One would assume a 20" pencil barrel in a light platform would not be the most accurate. Mine was a sub MOA gun (shot under 1"),..... at 200 yards. I love the platform. The scope mounts are rock steady, come off easy & re-install & maintain zero. I like the safety, is quiet & allows you to open the bolt with the safety on. The magazine is metal & allows top loading. The wood stock guns are oil finished & VERY stable; they impregnate the wood well so it doesn't move or allow water to soak in. The stock fit is well thought out, the triggers are adjustable (I never need to adjust them) and break very well. Balance is excellent. I am currently using one in 30-06 & a second in 375 H&H. The 30-06 is a synthetic stock model called Black Bear. The 375 is the Kodiak model. Both have EXCELLENT iron sights. Both have a front barrel band for sling attachment, the black bear has a fluted barrel.

Whatever you choose, I STRONGLY suggest having both rifles made by the same maker. Shoot them often; get familiar shooting in unconventional situations and practice with shooting sticks.

I wish you great success! If you want more advice, please feel free to ask or post here - this is a great resource!

I have a CZ 550 American in 30-06 I have hunted Africa twice, never let me down. It is my go to rifle. Scotland to Africa. I love it.
MarkCZ

Thanks for all the GREAT replies everyone! It sounds like there are some good contenders for the 30-06 spot from CZ to Ruger to Sako to Winchester. If I wasn't wanting to "match" this rifle to an upcoming 375 H&H, I would just run and pick either one of these and call it a day. So based on the advice above, I'm gonna hit the nearest dealer/retailer and get a feel for all of the recommended brands (some I've held but some I haven't) before bringing one home. I hope it doesn't sound too crazy but I've got this idea in my head of collecting several rifles of varying calibers (30-06/9.3/375/404) but of the same manufacturer that would cover all of my future African adventures (PG & DG) and would be on display with the mounts/pics in the "trophy room" of the house. Be it whatever brand that personally has the best feel/balance/shootability, it would just be a matter of deciding how much "thump" I needed across the same platform. With that said, I really appreciate everyone's input as that narrows down the playing field a bit when I roll down the gun rack at the store.

What Earnie said!
Except the word "settled" One does not "Settle" on SAKOs. Period.

I have 5 (I think??? - no 6!) .22 LR, .223, .243. 7mm Rem Mag, and a 375 H&H. The 6th one is a 300 Win MAg that was going to become a 416 Taylor, but may become a 458 Win Mag???

If you are into several calibers in the future, also you could consider system rifles like Blaser R8/R93, Mauser M03, Merkel Helix or Sauer.
And practice and practice and practice at the range :)

If you want a 375 as well, why not do it all with the 375. Get a nice rifle in that cal and practice with it.

Many options;

Merkel, Chapuis, Fausti.

If you don't mind over/unders, merkel, Chapuis, Verney-Carron, beretta if you can find one, several other Italian varieties.

If you're really on a budget, Baikal.

:)

Mosin I think handling the different brands and consider their accuracy is the way to go. I'm not too certain I'd want a 06 that felt and handled like the CZ 550 Safari. Great gun but a bit heavy and long in the barrel. Just mhos. I selected the Sako for my 06 all around gun.
I wouldn't worry about different brands you'll know where the safety is and the bolt will operate about the same in all.
Great problem to have. Please do follow up with some pictures and print when you decide.

Don't be afraid to try a Kimber. Personally a 84L Montana in 30-06 and a 8400 Talkeetna in 375 would be pretty sweet. Actions and the stocks are the same, just a different scale.

Good choice of calibers!!!! probably the 2 most versatile rounds ever made.

I own both the CZ and the model 70 in both calibers. The model 70 quality and accuracy is MUCH better than the two CZ rifles I own.

I would take a harder look at the M70 and the Kimbers in these calibers.

Like another poster stated, the 250gr bullets in the 375 are the cat's meow. I really love the 250gr TTSX for the H&H. This is my favorite bear medicine!

Just got the Kimber .375, its sweeeeeettttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winchester Model 70, never failed me in 36 years of hunting Africa, Asia and North America. I'll never forget my first safari in '86 - my PH loaned me some solids he had to shoot my grey duiker with. I asked him "Why do you have these?" He said "brain shots on elephant"!

I have a two of the " new" model 70 in 3006 and 375 and there awesome. I just wish the people and winchester would build a 404 jeffery or a 416 rigby on this action!

If you want a rifle to tinker with go the CZ if you want a well built rifle with no tinkering go the Model 70

cheers
TW

I own a CZ in 404Jeff and a Mannlicher stocked 308, I like the idea of one size fit all, a 375HH shooting 250gr to 300gr would fit the bill

30/06 & 375H&H. CZ's are good solid rifles, SAKO's are nice but pricy. I would give consideration to either a Steyr with Mannlicher stock, Winchester M70 Alaskan (I have one in 338WM.....really nice rifle) or Win M70 Stainless.
It all comes down to what fits you best, and your comfortable shooting.

Probably the finest 30-06 ever made in the USA on a semi-custom basis would be either a Griffin & Howe based on a mauser action or a Griffin & Howe based on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action.

The Griffin & Howe model 70s with the G&H side mounts are considered offensive to the winchester collectors because they late someone drilling a hole in the receiver thus lowering "original winchester" values.

Griffin & Howe guns in lovely condition from the 40s to early 60s normally fetch about $8000 on the market. The 30-06 models are so incredibly common as they made many of them over the years so I bet for between $2500 and $3500 you could have a gorgeous collector rifle that is indestructible, goes up in value, and has a return to zero G&H side mount and optic included.

If you're contemplating a decent CZ ($1800-$2500) and an decent optic with mounts ($500) you're in the zone. You can have a gun that would cost you $25,000 to buy new bespoke today (the 30-06 griffin and howe) used as a functional vintage piece for roughly the same money as a functional but soulless piece of modern technology.

I saw many nice ones on guns international recently including a peach of a Model 70 by Griffin and Howe that was in your ballpark.

Let me give you some examples of rifles that you could recover your money from in large part (or profit) that are working masterpieces.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...06-1939-griffin-and-howe.cfm?gun_id=100700927

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...-howe-m70-375-h-h-scoped.cfm?gun_id=100682486

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.