Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am just learning about sheep hunting and all that entails (very cool BTW). I came across this article in which Craig Bodddington seems to dismiss the '06 in favour of..well pretty much every other cartridge I can think of. Is the '06 really not an appropriate sheep cartridge when you consider all the other cartridges he says are workable?

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/featured_rifles_sheep_061305/

If a 270 will work, and Jack O'Connor got a lot of sheep with his, the 30-06 will work fine. 165g accubond long range bullet at 2900 fps should do just fine. I have a 270 Weatherby but rarely use it, it's just too heavy for the amount of extra range/power over my 7.5 lb 270 Win.

Three things I consider:
Weight, (you have to pack that thing up the mountain.)
Flat shooting is the key.
Confidence at distance.

Options for reloading the 06 have changed, as colorado noted.

I like my 270. I have packed the 300WM up the hill sometimes though.

Brickburn is right - considering these factors more of an issue than the particular caliber.

Brickburn is spot on I have several killed sheep and goats mtn hunting is tough the shots are 200-350yds so you need a flat shooting gun that you are good with and can carry around in the mtns. choice is yours. fyi I always take a 300WM it is a heavy beast but it reaches out and touches a long ways! sheep aren't hard to kill but mtn goats now thats a diff story!! I advise a bipod and prone as usually plenty time to shoot and it all wide open. enjoy the mtns which sheep are going after?

Jack O'Connor killed a sheep with a .348 Winchester lever action!

Thanks guys. I was envisioning 150gr GS Customs for a flat shooting round and then Mr Boddington poured cold water on my little fantasy.

Brickburn is spot on I have several killed sheep and goats mtn hunting is tough the shots are 200-350yds so you need a flat shooting gun that you are good with and can carry around in the mtns. choice is yours. fyi I always take a 300WM it is a heavy beast but it reaches out and touches a long ways! sheep aren't hard to kill but mtn goats now thats a diff story!! I advise a bipod and prone as usually plenty time to shoot and it all wide open. enjoy the mtns which sheep are going after?

I have not lined up a hunt yet, it is in line behind a spring bear hunt in Northern BC, but I am getting more interested in it every day.

If you look around enough you will find a gun writer or somebody that will tell you that all the calibers out there won't work on certain animals.

It makes you wonder how they killed them before all these fancy magnums showed up.

I didn't read the article but Craig loves the .30-06 so I suspect his point is that there are more suitable rounds for mountain sheep hunting and that would be correct, there are. The .270 or fast 7's should be ideal, but I would not leave the '06 home over an article if that is what I wanted to use. With a good spitzer 150 gr bullet moving at a good clip it will be just fine. Lots and lots of sheep have been taken with an '06.

I've seen several sheep killed very dead with a 30-06. With a ballistic reticle or hunting turret scope it's easily a 500 yard rifle.

30-06 would get my vote, no problem.

30-06 not suited for sheep?? Really??? That is the silliest thing I have heard today... An accurate rifle shooting 150g going 2900fps or 130g at 3000fps and you have a perfectly good sheep gun. Is there better options out there? Probebly... The "cool" "latest" "greatest" caliber the last few years seems to be the 280 AI which is based on the 30-06 case. If I had a good dependable, well shooting, reasonably lightweight 30-06 I would load up some 150g NP, or maybe even 130g TSX and start worring more about how to drag my out of shape butt up the mountian than about if a 30-06 is going to kill a sheep if I get there.

I am just learning about sheep hunting and all that entails (very cool BTW). I came across this article in which Craig Bodddington seems to dismiss the '06 in favour of..well pretty much every other cartridge I can think of. Is the '06 really not an appropriate sheep cartridge when you consider all the other cartridges he says are workable?

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/featured_rifles_sheep_061305/

The article is a bit dated and CB may have not taken into account at the time the newer scopes with reticles like the BDC in Nikon and others like it. So while it wouldn't be my first choice either, I think I'd prefer my 7mm Rem Mag, invest in one of these scopes, characterize the horizontal stadia wires and I'd say Bob's your uncle.

I found something you might find interesting. In my Nosler manual, CB extolls the virtues of the 30-06 thus, "with light spitzers the .30-06 is perfectly at home in the SHEEP MOUNTAINS". Load it up and take it.

I'm with JimP on this one:

If you look around enough you will find a gun writer or somebody that will tell you that all the calibers out there won't work on certain animals.

It makes you wonder how they killed them before all these fancy magnums showed up.

If you read enough, long enough you'll find writers will contradict themselves more than one would think. Couple your own '06 experience with the a little practical thinking and you've got all the confidence you need.

Good hunting.

Great! Thank you all of the input. I was hoping that the pairing of a 30-06 and a 375 H&H was all I needed for hunting this planet. A sheep hunt is not cheap so this is very good to hear.

I find it funny when people make an argument for a flat shooting rifle and then they throw out a range of under 400 yards.....

For those of us who shoot a lot we all know with a 250 yard zero there just isn't enough difference to even worry about much "difference" when sub 400 yard shots are a concern.

As far as a lightweight rifle goes and climbing....take whatever rifle you shoot best and have the utmost confidence in.

Seems strange to me how anyone can doubt the ability of the 30-06

With a high BC monometel 150 at 3k? Or a lower BC pointed soft point it won't make a damn bit of difference on any sheep or goat.

I've claimed a lot of tall Rocky Mountains and believe me.....at 11k on up your rifle won't be on your mind at all......there will be plenty of pain to take your mind of of that.

Never been sheep hunting, but a 30-06 should be fine, or a .270, .280. .300 in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!