6MM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Going over for Plains Game, and had this rifle built for dual purpose as I want to use it on deer, elk in the states. I have been pouring over the internet and am thinking about a Leupold Mark iV Illuminated Reticle in 3.5 x 10 x 40. Mark IV's are 30MM tubes but seem to have a lot of dials to adjust for hold over etc which is a good thing if you have the time. I am just not sure how much fiddling around I am going to have time to do for the shot. I am accustomed to just posting a drop chart on your stock and doping the wind. Any replies are appreciated.

I think your scope choose is fine. I'm not a fan of illuminated reticles but that's my opinion. I would just set the scope to a 150 yd or 200 yd zero....unless a animal is way out there. That's a flat shooting gun and close shots won't need adjustments.

Do yourself a huge favor. Get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 #20 Z- Plex. You will not be dissapointed. It was these scopes that had me sell my VX 3s. They are crystal clear and amazing in poor light. I like it better than my Swarovski AV 2-10x42.

I also shoot with a 30.06 and due to the type of buck I tend to shoot, most of my shooting has been in very wide open spaces and anything from 100 to 320 metres.

Over those types of distances, I don't want to shoot in the 'general' kill zone. Call me anal or pedantic or whatever you like, but I want to see exactly where I am placing a shot. Then, if I am out a bit here or there due to windage or error of judgement in distance, the accuracy of my shot placement is still the highest I can achieve.

I use a Leupold Vari-X III 8.5-25x50 with a Fine Duplex reticule. I have had this scope for 14 years and I absolutely love it and have had many, many successfully placed shots. That said, I would definitely say that if I had to buy again I would go for a 6.5-20x50. This just makes it a little more useful for the closer stuff where the 8.5 is just that little too powerful.

Just my 2c worth.

Musgrave 30.06.jpg

Suggest the Leupold 2.5X8 VIII(1), the best all around big game scope made for the price.

GaryO

Have a very good point on your rifle scopes... i have 4 of the 2.5 to 8 Leupold scopes...

AS far as lighted scopes...some states are changing the laws to band these scopes ...check before you purchase one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross