30.06 Ackley Scope Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by 6MM, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 6MM

6MM AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Going over for Plains Game, and had this rifle built for dual purpose as I want to use it on deer, elk in the states. I have been pouring over the internet and am thinking about a Leupold Mark iV Illuminated Reticle in 3.5 x 10 x 40. Mark IV's are 30MM tubes but seem to have a lot of dials to adjust for hold over etc which is a good thing if you have the time. I am just not sure how much fiddling around I am going to have time to do for the shot. I am accustomed to just posting a drop chart on your stock and doping the wind. Any replies are appreciated.

2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I think your scope choose is fine. I'm not a fan of illuminated reticles but that's my opinion. I would just set the scope to a 150 yd or 200 yd zero....unless a animal is way out there. That's a flat shooting gun and close shots won't need adjustments.

3. B9.3

B9.3 AH Veteran

Do yourself a huge favor. Get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 #20 Z- Plex. You will not be dissapointed. It was these scopes that had me sell my VX 3s. They are crystal clear and amazing in poor light. I like it better than my Swarovski AV 2-10x42.

4. Stutz

Stutz New Member

Member of:
    Cape Hunt
    I also shoot with a 30.06 and due to the type of buck I tend to shoot, most of my shooting has been in very wide open spaces and anything from 100 to 320 metres.

Over those types of distances, I don't want to shoot in the 'general' kill zone. Call me anal or pedantic or whatever you like, but I want to see exactly where I am placing a shot. Then, if I am out a bit here or there due to windage or error of judgement in distance, the accuracy of my shot placement is still the highest I can achieve.

I use a Leupold Vari-X III 8.5-25x50 with a Fine Duplex reticule. I have had this scope for 14 years and I absolutely love it and have had many, many successfully placed shots. That said, I would definitely say that if I had to buy again I would go for a 6.5-20x50. This just makes it a little more useful for the closer stuff where the 8.5 is just that little too powerful.

Just my 2c worth.

Musgrave 30.06.jpg

5. GaryO

GaryO AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Suggest the Leupold 2.5X8 VIII(1), the best all around big game scope made for the price.

6. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    GaryO

Have a very good point on your rifle scopes... i have 4 of the 2.5 to 8 Leupold scopes...

AS far as lighted scopes...some states are changing the laws to band these scopes ...check before you purchase one...