Therack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA PF DU NWTF
How are the star ratings determined? Is there some type of standard to go by for each rating so a hunter can know roughly what to expect for food and accommodations ? Do the owners/outfitters determine their own star rating? It would seem easy for an operator to overstate his rating.

They do not rate themselves. There is a set standard for each rating and there is a agency that rates them. I do believe from what I have been told the big difference between 4 or 5 stars has a lot to do if there is like 24 hour service and some other small stuff. I could be wrong about that though.

Must places get 3 stars or better unless they are more rough camps with limited services and not as fancy lodging. I dont think I have been at one less then 3 stars.

If you are trying to compare to the USA in Terms of a hotel rating take a star off In Most cases. IMO. Any way you look at it the lodges in Africa will be much better than you average deer camp!

How are the star ratings determined? Is there some type of standard to go by for each rating so a hunter can know roughly what to expect for food and accommodations ? Do the owners/outfitters determine their own star rating? It would seem easy for an operator to overstate his rating.

No doubt other countries tourism boards have a system.
The credibility of each system, You have got me.

http://www.tourismgrading.co.za/get-graded/whats-in-it-for-me/grading-criteria-3/

For your convenience, we have briefly explained our Grading Criteria and Minimum Requirements below.

Game/Nature Lodges

A Game / Nature / Wilderness Lodge (incl. Private Nature Reserves) is a formal accommodation facility providing formal and informal services, located in natural surroundings beyond that of an immediate garden area and located in a natural setting usually, but not always, away from human settlements.

• Scenic or natural vista (beyond that of the immediate garden area) e.g.: water view, rural outlook, mountain view or natural bush setting offering some Safari Activity such as Game Drives, Walking, Cycling, Horseback, Canoeing etc.)..
  • If the hosts/managers are accommodated in the same facility, then there needs to be separate living areas for them. The host / representative must be contactable 24 hours, 7 days per week.
  • The Host / Manager on duty must be available to check guests in/out or within a maximum of 10 minute drive from the property.
  • Daily servicing of the rooms must be included in the tariff.
  • Shared facilities (not with host) must be a minimum of a guest dining room and guest lounge area.
  • Bathroom facilities must be en-suite. If not, exclusive use of bathroom facilities per room is ensured.
  • Meals and beverages must be provided (may/may not be prepared by the property).
  • Servicing of rooms 7 days a week. (This includes linen/towel change, removal of rubbish and cleaning) For linen / towel change, a 'No change' option may be available (i.e. eco-wise policy).
  • Provide at least one guided experience and or activity i.e. natural or cultural experiences to the guest organised by the establishment which may or may not be included in the rate.
  • Guests should have a reasonable probability of seeing / experiencing i.e.: flora and fauna, viewing specific species of animal as stated in the marketing of the establishment.
  • If the lodge specified is advertised as a 'Game Lodge'. The animals provided on the Game Lodge need to be free roaming and not contained in enclosures. An endangered, indigenous/ specific specie can be housed in adequately spaced viewing areas, which should as closely as possible resemble the natural environment of the animals.
  • Convenient, secure and well lit car parking facilities must be made available when required. Due consideration to be given to the customer-friendliness of the parking facilities and the proximity to the accommodation facilities. Should no parking be available, a guest shuttle service should be provided.

Here is the TGCSA grading requirements for a game lodge.

Attachments

• Game-NATURE-Lodge-Criteria.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 257
By the way, many of these star ratings are voluntary and cost the Outfit. (at least in some countries)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross