Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Hello everyone, next year God willing I'll be back on African soil to hunt buffalo and plains game. I've got the buffalo covered shooting my 375 Ruger with A frame Ammo. I'd like to take along my 270 wsm with factory 140 gr accubond Winchester Ammo. What are the thoughts on this Ammo for plains game. On the list will be waterbuck and possibly giraffe with a variety of other plains game. I've taken moose ,caribou, sheep, etc with my old 270, but now upgrade to the wsm.

The 270 will be fine for all plains game but will be on the light side for giraffe. The accubond at the distance you take giraffe at maybe to soft. May want to use the 375 on the giraffe. I am not sure how giraffe got on your list all of a sudden. LOL

The 270 will be fine for all plains game but will be on the light side for giraffe. The accubond at the distance you take giraffe at maybe to soft. May want to use the 375 on the giraffe. I am not sure how giraffe got on your list all of a sudden. LOL
No problem with the 375. I think you know how the giraffe got on my list. Lol. Seeing yours and speaking with Paul. Just need to buy my house in Georgia first. Definitely don't have the room right now with everything else I have

Actively looking bro. I get new listings daily. If we find something we will buy now and most likely move next year. We may be neighbors..lol

@johnnyblues, the Accubond is a confusing bullet to me. I've had wonderful success developing very accurate loads for it, but that tends to be the case with any of Nosler's offerings and I'm using their manual.

But hunting reports seem to be all over the map. Some saying how great it's performed all the way to those swearing off of and at it. Mostly the reports I've read are positive, but when they're negative, it's in a big way If you could find factory ammo for the 270WSM in the A-Frame and it's shooting at least close to the same accuracy at the AB, I'd stick with the A-Frame.

Doubt you can find AFrames factory loaded Phil. At least not to my knowledge.

Phil I wonder how the Barnes TSX in 140 grain would perform.

Like no tomorrow. I would not hesitate to use it. I think of the 270WSM as a short action 7mmRM. Nice little round. Or just more of the 270. Good cartridge.

I use 140 grain TTSX in my 270 WSM, I was thinking of taking it this year possibly. They are $40 a box at Cheaper Than Dirt....then there is mail in rebate, so it's even cheaper.

I personally love the 270. After shooting the barrel out of it I bought the 270 wsm and had hill country rifles work on it. Absolute tack driver.

Should work well would be my guess. I used 180's in my .300WM on my first hunt with no complaints.

Besides, didn't we determine in another thread that a .270 is beyond a shadow of a doubt not suitable for Africa under any circumstance? :A Stirring:

Besides, didn't we determine in another thread that a .270 is beyond a shadow of a doubt not suitable for Africa under any circumstance? :A Stirring:
Really? Hmm... I just don't agree with that. I wouldn't use it on eland but with the right bullet I'd have faith on wildebeest ( since I shot one already in Texas some years ago) ran 75 yards and dropped as well as the smaller plains game.

Really? Hmm... I just don't agree with that. I wouldn't use it on eland but with the right bullet I'd have faith on wildebeest ( since I shot one already in Texas some years ago) ran 75 yards and dropped as well as the smaller plains game.

NO!!!!!

Was totally cracking a joke! I have zero issue with a .270, although as you state there may be better choices for some animals. But at the right range and shot I'd have no issue on an eland.

Once you see the hide thickness of a giraffe you will understand why I say it may just be to light. If your going to use it on giraffe I would do the a-frame which is what I used out of my 300 mag or the ttsx. The 270 will kill it if all goes well and will take any plains game even eland.

Your could be doing a neck shot or body shot on a giraffe. Plus the shot will more then likely be 75yds or under so need a bullet that will not blow up and drive deep.

Good advise Bill. if I have the opportunity to hunt a giraffe I ll use my 375.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this subject from the PH's on the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you