Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
So I was able to get the 250 TTSX to fly well but only for so many shots (5-10) before groups would open up. I can only attribute this to what I consider to be excessive copper fouling from the bullet. So I decided to give the 250gr North Fork bonded cores a go. I tried H4895 with good results last week. The best group was at 72.8gr of this powder. I went back to the range yesterday and tried it at 72.7, 72.8 and 72.9 grains to make sure it would hold due to any error on the loader. The first two pics are of the 72.7 and 72.9 grain loads, for whatever reason I forgot to get a pic of the 72.8 load, but suffice to say it was just as good. Velocities for these loads averaged right around 2840fps +/- 15fps.

IMG_0204.jpgIMG_0205.jpg

Not leaving well enough alone, I also loaded up these bullets with Varget. The next picture is of 75.8gr of Varget, velocity average 2850fps but the spread in velocity was +/- 25 fps.

IMG_0206.jpg

Next is 76.1gr of Varget, velocity up to 2860fps. Accuracy not quite as good, but not bad either. The spread in velocity was only about +/-10 fps.

IMG_0207.jpg

I then shot 76.4gr and 76.7gr loads and the groups opened up to the 1.5" range and I figured I had pretty much found my load. The spread in the velocities really picked up and perhaps this explains the wider groups. But then a funny thing happened. I still had 3 rounds left at 77.0gr of Varget and time on my hands. I wasn't seeing any pressure signs so I went ahead and gave them a go. Velocity was in the 2900fps range and there was still a fairly healthy standard deviation, but check the pic out.

IMG_0208.jpg

So after I got home yesterday, I looked on my bench to see I was down to 4 of these North Forks left. I was meeting a buddy at the range today and so I loaded these up with 77gr of Varget to see if the group would repeat, I'd say it did. A little vertical stringing but I'd attribute that to the shooter. Note I did make a scope adjustment before shooting these today to set the POI at 2" above at 100 yards. I think now my 375 load development for next years trip is complete.

IMG_0210.jpg

And finally just because I don't want to start another thread, here are a couple of pictures of a friend of mine's Coues deer from last year. If you wanted to know what a 112 5/8" Coues buck looks like, well here you go. It's a minimum of 110" to make B&C record book. Pretty cool deer. It still had some velvet fuzz and the ends of the main beams were still very dark from dried blood.

IMG_0201.jpgIMG_0202.jpg

One last thing on the 77.0gr Varget loads, no pressure signs whatsoever. Easy bolt lift no marks on brass. That said, I have no intent on going any further. I probably could, but 2900fps and a 250gr pill I think is plenty. If you try these out, as always work up slowly from perhaps 74gr.

Well done Phil,
looks like you may have found the 'sweet-spot'.

That's one heck of a load you have there man !
(way over what most of my manuals list as max, but if you've checked them and they seem right then go to it)

A 250gn, .375 cal North Fork slug smoking along at 2900, wheew !!!!
Should be DYNOMITE on any thin skinned game, anywhere.

Careful you don't start any grass fires when you let that one off.

I hear you Paul. I think I'm going to go with the H4895 load as the velocities were more consistent and I think that may be an indicator that the pressures are a bit more in the safe range. What I've noticed with the chrono is that as I get to max loads the standard deviation begins to jump.

Phil, I think you'll find anything in and around the 2800 fps mark will still be EXTREMELY effective, particularily with that bullet.

That should shoot flat enough and hit hard enough for any and all pains game situations your likely to encounter, be damn good bear and moose gear too I'm thinking ?

Let me know if your gonna keep testing.
I might buy some shares in Nth fork before the next time you go down the range :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you