243 win. for Baboon

MarkCZ

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Romania, Scotland , England, Namibia
What would you guys think of using this for Baboons out to 300 yrds. if it is viable what bullet etc. My 243 is incredibly accurate I am very confident of this gun that I have had for over 10 years and is set up for foxes.
Your thoughts. MarkCZ

A .243 is more than adequate for game the size of a baboon. If the rifle is going to be used only for baboons and just because Nosler Ballistic Tips always work well for me, I'd be looking at developing a load with them in about the 90gr size. But whichever was most accurate for me would be my choice. I'm sure there are plenty of other bullets that will get the job done with accuracy being the primary factor.

Now if the rifle is going to be used for other game, that could change which bullet I'd use. I'd then want to match the bullet that is most appropriate for the largest game it is to be used on.

Your .243 is perfect for baboons. I'd use 100 grain for everything and keep it simple. The velocity should be around 3000 ft/second even with the heavier bullet. It's a very underrated plains game calibre and is good for impala, blesbuck and nyala size antelope.

Your .243 is perfect for baboons. I'd use 100 grain for everything and keep it simple. The velocity should be around 3000 ft/second even with the heavier bullet. It's a very underrated plains game calibre and is good for impala, blesbuck and nyala size antelope.
+1, 243 is an underrated caliber. I've used it for years to take whitetail and mule deer as well as a slough of exotics of all sizes up to 300 lb merino Rams. 100 grain bullet would wax a kudu provided proper shot placement.

many thanks guys. Looks like the 243 will be with the 30-06 in Namibia this June.
MarkCZ

I do not shoot for cousins.
Witold

Must make for a pretty rowdy family reunion!:Wacky:

Mark what kind of 243 do you have?

People have used successfully the 243 for elk and moose (not a good idea) and they have proven very effective for deer and mulies so baboon wouldn't be a problem. Mine shoots berger 87gr into less than 1/2" and they would blow the crap out of a baboon.

Sounds like great fun. I would imagine the 243 would work amazing on baboons.

The only thing that I can add is to look at your bullet choice for just the chance that you blunder into a large animal while you are packing that .243 looking for a baboon. You just never know what is going to show up when you head over to Africa and start out hunting.

On the .243, I have seen them take down bull elk here in the states with the shooter shooting a premium type bullet and putting it where it needed to be.

Reactions: lcq
The only thing that I can add is to look at your bullet choice for just the chance that you blunder into a large animal while you are packing that .243 looking for a baboon. You just never know what is going to show up when you head over to Africa and start out hunting.

On the .243, I have seen them take down bull elk here in the states with the shooter shooting a premium type bullet and putting it where it needed to be.

That's great advice in my opinion. On a somewhat similar situation with my son, we got out of the truck to go after a Kudu with his .308 Win. I left my .375H&H in the truck. Got up the hill and no kudu, but there were 3 Eland bulls. He took one with his .308, but I was sure wishing the .375 was with me.

A different kind of situation, but similar in that you want to be prepared for whatever shows itself.

Mark what kind of 243 do you have?
it is a C.Z. 550. It now has a Boyds thumbhole varmint stock on it. It also is fitted with a Wildcat Predetor moderater.
MarkCZ.

The advice on loading for bigger game is sound advice. Unless you have a very specific baboon-only scenario the way it will play out will be that a dream kudu will magically appear while you have the 243 in hand. With that in mind, I would use a tipped triple shock. Bear in mind that a 243 may be under the legal caliber limit in Namibia for certain game; properly loaded it will certainly not be under the effective limit with proper bullet and proper shot placement at least on animals up to and including zebra and blue wildebeest.

That said, a 30-06 is pretty reliable or perhaps ideal on essentially all plains game and suitable for baboon. It is a lot easier to travel with one rifle than with 2. What does the .243 add that is worth the effort of carrying it? Unless I were bringing it for a youngster, I would just leave it at home and live happily with the '06. 300 yards is a damn long shot in Namibia, at least the places I've been.

Last edited:
the .243 is a brilliant calibre for baboon. shoot any grain that works well in your rifle and know your different aiming points at every range. Good luck in shooting one, they are clever animals

not much difference with one or two rifles apart from a bit more writing......i used to take three rifles and a shotgun, or four rifles, but i like to give as many of mine as possible a chance to play....:E Big Grin: so @MarkCZ take them both and have a great time :D Beers:

I too think that the .243 is probably the most perfect baboon caliber out there. That being said, on my one and only trip to Africa (Namibia) we travelled as a group and doubled up our rifles, six hunters to three cases. So I shot my baboon with my 7mm Rem Mag. Worked really well for me, not so good for the baboon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you