2016 375 hunt report

MichaelTQS

AH member
Reaction score
Website
quietsurvivalist.com
Hunted
USA, Vermont, Wyoming , Arizona
Hi guys, its been awhile since I posted here but since I blame you all for my new rifle I should let you know how it went Elk hunting

First off, the load. Simple and what was recommended here. Federal Blue Box 270gr soft point.

The Elk- roughly a 425lb spike bull

The result obviously was meat in the freezer.

My impressions? Well, Ive read extensively about the 375, I accepted the advice and replies to my questions and I am much more impressed by this rifle than I ever intended to be.

Ive never seen with a life time of big game hunting all over the US and parts of Europe in the 80's, bones protruding from an exit wound. Ive seen game drop from spine shots of course but never so completely dead on impact as I saw the 2 elk I witnessed shot with a 375 this year.

Mod 70 Safari Express purchased last spring and Im not looking back. I have developed a true love for this rifle and caliber. I understand completely the opinion of generations before me about the superiority of the cartridge.

Now you know why some of my Idaho friends that have hunted elk for generations consider the .375" bullet the best ever invented for elk, large or small.

Nice! Thanks for sharing and congrats

I have to agree, It sure does a good job

Congrats! Good to know a hundred years of testing on much larger and sometimes faster and sometimes more dangerous animals has proven to work on Elk too. I am a convert as well as I am taking mine for Kodiak brown bear in 5 weeks. What range were the shots? and yes, pics are great if you can.

Yes I forgot the range. First Elk was at about 100 yds, second was around 160-175

My hunting bud and I decided to use the 375 this year and they both dropped literally like hit with a hammer

Im trying to get pics from my hard drive to this site, but they are a little bloody and I try not to post things like that. Respect to the animals and to the forum as well

Congrats on your elk!

Congratulations on the Elk! The .375 H&H really is the king of the medium bores!

Congratulations. You did good.

Heading to Colorado for elk with my .375 Ruger in just a couple of days. Hornady Superformance 250 grain GMX will be the load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg