2014 Bow hunt in SA... What time period?

C5ken

Reaction score
I'm in the process of booking a 2014, 10 day (dark of the moon) plains game bow hunt with Limcroma Safaris in SA. The June, July, Aug & Sept time periods are open as of this time.

What 10 day period would you guys recommend I book?
I'm interested in Kudu, Gemsbok, Warthog, Zebra & Impala.

Bowhunting from blinds are good in the dryer times. These are all good months. June and July is ou Winter where the early mornings and early evenings can be a little cool. Limcroma run a first class outfit and I am sure you will havegoid success in any of these months. Aug and Sep the days will be warming up and you have more daylight hours , or more shooting time for that matter.

Good Luck !

Happy Hunting !

Richard,

It's very nice to see a competing outfitter respond to a client's inquiry and pay a compliment to the competition. That is a very classy and professional thing to do, and I applaud you for it...I'm a long-time Limcroma client and friend of Hannes Els'. I'm sure he appreciates it, and would do the same for your outfit as well....

Very best regards, Dan L.

Personally, I would hunt August during the dark moon. It will be pleasant temperatures and dry. Dark moon....jury is still out but it can't hurt for sure.

Thanks Dan ! We all have fight for our spot in the sun but I have no problem recommending class Outfits !

Happy Hunting !

Personally, I would hunt August during the dark moon. It will be pleasant temperatures and dry. Dark moon....jury is still out but it can't hurt for sure.

I agree with you Tom on the moon thing... My first trip over, I went to great lengths to make sure my 7 days of hunting fell on the week of the dark moon. It was August, and we had great hunting and the animals were moving at the water holes all day...Then, on our next trip we hunted early May on waxing full moon, and still had a great hunt and saw animals moving all day. I have since hunted June and September on other various phases of the moon and always had good action and no shortage of opportunity.....

My conclusion...? If you are hunting a well managed consession with ample heards of game animals, It really doesn't matter about the moon phase so much..... If I could pick my dates on the dark of the moon every hunt, I would try for the dark moon periods of course, but it's certainly not as vital as the time of year for bowhunters anyway...At least in my experiences...

At one time I would have disagreed with you. My hunt in 2010 was durring a dark moon and we had a great hunt but in 2012 I went durring a full moon and we had a hard time finding anything durring the day but I could go out at night and game would be everywhere. I didn't think it would matter that much on a game fame but it does.

Nice thread , i was just curious why do you want to hunt at night from a blind with a bow ?

You will have problems tracking the blood trail and im not sure if many ph's will recommended this ? Could end up losing you r trophy. On a hunting safari with high fences you always have all the game coming to a waterhole late afternoon or early morning anyway.

I hunted kudu at night using a old farm house as my "blind" near a crib with water and hay with full moon light it was great , only reason i did it was because the farm had low fences and i knew it was their route they took at 1/2 AM and the rifle dropped them in their tracks so i didn't have issues to track them.

cheers Mike

holland

Nice thread , i was just curious why do you want to hunt at night from a blind with a bow ?

You will have problems tracking the blood trail and im not sure if many ph's will recommended this ? Could end up losing you r trophy. On a hunting safari with high fences you always have all the game coming to a waterhole late afternoon or early morning anyway.

I hunted kudu at night using a old farm house as my "blind" near a crib with water and hay with full moon light it was great , only reason i did it was because the farm had low fences and i knew it was their route they took at 1/2 AM and the rifle dropped them in their tracks so i didn't have issues to track them.

cheers Mike

holland

Mike, Bob hunts with a rifle. They were probably out varmint hunting at night. Caracal, black back jackel etc.

Mike, Bob hunts with a rifle. They were probably out varmint hunting at night. Caracal, black back jackel etc.

Hi Enysse,sorry i should have used the "reply with a quote" i was reffering to the opening threads question not to Bob's post.

cheers Mike

Holland

Absolutely, the later the better and definitely over a dark moon.

I'm in the process of booking a 2014, 10 day (dark of the moon) plains game bow hunt with Limcroma Safaris in SA. The June, July, Aug & Sept time periods are open as of this time.

What 10 day period would you guys recommend I book?
I'm interested in Kudu, Gemsbok, Warthog, Zebra & Impala.

June, July and August are all good times, dry part of the year when hunting from a hide drier is better and the dark moon will help in having them at the water during the day insted of night.

All who have commented have given you very good advice! Well done.

In our experience June, July & August are good months to bow hunt from blinds, with July and August probably the best (much drier) with hides being much more active.

Definately pick a dark moon phase, you won't regret it.

Happy Hunting.

Malcolm

Thank you for all of the info.

I book today for July 21-31 (dark of the moon). Due to my buddies work schedule, we are unable to go this year. So, our deposit is in for the end of July 2014.... Now, all I need to do is wait!

I hunted in SA in September of last year and was able to take several animals with a bow without any problem including my favorite the Nyala. Most of our clients that hunted with a bow during that safari were also very successful. I would say a lot has to depend on the set up that the Outfitter has for bow hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross