Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member of,,Caribou Hunt Club, Stock and Barrel Pistol Range
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
In an attempt to make my Whitworth/Zastava 375 more versitle I've ordered some Sierra 200Gr bullets. In the past year Iv'e also loaded from 235 to 300 just to get and Idea of what the capabilities are from a 375. Any thought or ideas will be appreciated

Loaded up a bunch to use as a practice loads, very soft shooting. Sierra mentions in their manual not to use them in a hunting application, they might make a good varmit load as anything hit would more than likely turn into a grey mist..

No clue about the Sierra. GS Custom recommends their 200gr monometals and I believe they have been used on Cape Buffalo by Marius at KMG.

the 200gr sierra bullet will be VERY fragile so if taking game refrain from quartering and shoulder shots. im with Pheroze, if im going to use a 200gr bullet in a 375 it would be a monometal bullet. either the 235gr Barnes TSX or the 200gr GSC. although if your goal is to shoot at longer ranges the 250gr Barnes TTSX or 250gr GSC would be better choices then the lighter bullets. the heavier bullets will have better a better BC which will translate out to better performance at long range.

-matt

I've used 235 grain Speer semi-spitzers in the .300 H&H on deer and caribou with perfect results.
However, these days I generally prefer a bit heavier bullet in that cartridge, even out in open geography / sparse foliage conditions, just to be on the safe side.

I'm thinking of a one gun Safari Rifle 300Gr for Cape and 200-235 for plains game, I have practised with open sights for 50yds and in and up to 300yds with optics for Plains Game using quick release Mounts, this is just a thought. My future plans are for Cape Buff, Mountain Zebra and Gemsbock, all pretty tough animals,if this isn't feasible I can use them for range practise

a 250gr bullet will outperform a 200gr bullet at 300 yards. the better BC will help the bullet maintain velocity at longer distance.

i just worked out the math with the help of a balistic calculator and the 250gr Barnes will have twice the energy at 300 yards when compared to the 200gr Sierra (2452 ft/lb VS 1213 ft/lb). the 250gr Barnes will also drop 2.5" less then the 200gr bullet (14.9" VS 17.5" with a 100 yard zero).

the above math was assuming the 250gr bullet was moving 2700fps and the 200gr bullet was movin 2900fps. even if you increase the speed of both bullets the effect is the same. the 200gr bullet just isnt as suitable for long range.

-matt

Thanks Matt, I'll set up the Chrono this weekend and test some 250G and some 300s, I have the Whitworth set up to shoot about 4" high at 200yds and he groups look extremely good, can you work up the ballistics with a 300Gr load?

here is the calculator i used: http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

depending on bullet design a 300gr bullet can be used out to 200 yards. but if i was shooting primarily PG id use a 250-270 grain bullet that was designed with distance in mind. if ranges are short then 200gr and 235gr bullets will be fine but i wouldnt use them outside 200 yards.

-matt

Iv'e seen that and have messed with it a little,,Maybe I'll PM Marius a see if he will share his load secrets for 20gr loads

Marius uses the 200gr GS custom at 3200fps according to his posts in the 416 thread. according to that ballistic calculator this would work very well on PG out to 300 yards. those GS custom bullets are a different critter all together because of their unique design.

however, i dont think @KMG Hunting Safaris will be able to help you too much with hand loading data because SA uses their own powders. but maybe he can give some advice.

-matt

Use the 200's for practice they will fall apart unless you load them down to 2000 fps or less.
Here is a good drill for your 200's, set up three targets 50, 30 and 20yrds. Start with three rounds in your gun using a shot timer to add to the pressure, at the go put one round in the 50,30 and 20 reload then shoot the targets in reverse. The shot timer will put pressure on you to practice loading the gun from your belt and getting back on target.
For your hunt IMHO pick one of the many premium bullets in 270 or 300gr and shoot every thing with one bullet, a 300gr bullet at 2500fps is an honest 250yrd rifle which will do everything you need on a one rifle hunt.
Good Luck keep us posted.

Use the 200's for practice they will fall apart unless you load them down to 2000 fps or less.
I presume that you are speaking about the Sierras in the 200's. If so, I will agree with you. In a mono metal, they are quite a different beast. Just ask these fellas.

14_zpsswwdjju5.jpg

DSC_0508_zpsetuw0axt.jpg

DSC_0277_zpsjfzhmfmr.jpg

Attachments

• 14_zpsswwdjju5.jpg
    14_zpsswwdjju5.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC_0277_zpsjfzhmfmr.jpg
    DSC_0277_zpsjfzhmfmr.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC_0508_zpsetuw0axt.jpg
    DSC_0508_zpsetuw0axt.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice!! Did you notice any difference at all between these and regular bullets? Did these result is a longer track and did these go through large bones?

Photo 1 was a frontal chest shot, one shot. Photo 2 was a broadside shot, on the shoulder and exit on the other side. Two more shots were taken, but they were not needed. Photo 3 , broadside, on the shoulder, bullet exited. Backup shot was taken while the bull had already gone down, hit a tree, and entered the bull's neck.

DSC_0278_zpsynggypok.jpg

DSC_0279_zpscfdokvyh.jpg
DSC_0282_zpssvqq2ui7.jpg

DSC_0285_zpsj73lithr.jpg
DSC_0287_zpsacfpq9op.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0282_zpssvqq2ui7.jpg
    DSC_0282_zpssvqq2ui7.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC_0278_zpsynggypok.jpg
    DSC_0278_zpsynggypok.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0279_zpscfdokvyh.jpg
    DSC_0279_zpscfdokvyh.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_0285_zpsj73lithr.jpg
    DSC_0285_zpsj73lithr.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_0287_zpsacfpq9op.jpg
    DSC_0287_zpsacfpq9op.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Marius, these GS Customs just confuse me lol. BTW, nice Buffalos too (y)

Great pics thanks for sharing
You are correct I was referring to the Sierra 200 since that is what the original question was about but some times these post wander a bit

Marius,,Thanks of jumping in here ,So are you saying you can use 200gr 375s with success just not Sierras, as previously stated my plan is to use my 375HH as a plains game as well as a Buffalo rifle and just load use different weight bullets, Bullet seating is another concern as the 200Gr is pretty short, I can crimp it but it would seem that a bullet that short would sit off the lands quite a bit,,I have only been re-loading for 4 years or so, and it's no problem setting up rifles to shoot one weight of bullet but this is the first time I thought of one rifle serving as a multi purpose tool

You will not have a problem with the oal of the 200gr as a mono metal bullet is long enough that by the time it has engaged the lands it will still be in the case mouth
One thing to consider shooting a 300gr at 2500fps bullet and a 200gr bullet at 3200 fps is the POA/POI
It may be considerable enough that you have to change scope setting
Still curious why you won't shoot a good 300gr bullet for all species. You still might have to factor in a 300 gr solid if you go with a conventional 300gr soft.

You will not have a problem with the oal of the 200gr as a mono metal bullet is long enough that by the time it has engaged the lands it will still be in the case mouth
One thing to consider shooting a 300gr at 2500fps bullet and a 200gr bullet at 3200 fps is the POA/POI
It may be considerable enough that you have to change scope setting
Still curious why you won't shoot a good 300gr bullet for all species. You still might have to factor in a 300 gr solid if you go with a conventional 300gr soft.
Outside of the thought that if you don't need it why use it I don't have a reason. The deeper I get into re-loading the more questions and answers I look for thats why I ask. As for POA/POI carrying 2 scopes with quick release mounts would be my goal. My next trip to Africa is a few years off so I have time to see if what I want to do works and maybe sounds like a waste of time and most likely a 250-260gr is the right way to go and I may be a bit stubborn in my thinking (my heritage permits this)Hell why not. Thanks for the heads up on the lands thing It was a concern I'll have to get the caliper out and do some measuring, Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RosalineCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg