1st timers animal choice!

I'm in the same boat as I'm planning my first safari ... also to Namibia. I like the idea of hunting game in its natural habitat so I'll be concentrating on kudu, gemsbok, zebra, impala and springbok. I will also be taking some extra money reserved specifically for the chance of the PH tapping me on the shoulder and whispering, "That's a very nice eland." Although eland is not a priority for me, I think I'd be remiss if I hunted good eland country and didn't take a fine trophy if presented the opportunity.

If the outfit I end up booking has Damaraland Dik-dik available, I'm sure I'd want to try for one. I'd also consider red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, steenbok, warthog and blesbok.

So, after getting some advice from those with plenty of experience, I'll concentrate on indigenous game and have some extra cash on hand for being able to hunt what the country offers. It seems what most say is the best course of action.

I made a classic young guy mistake on my first trip. I could just about afford the hunt package and the travel but not much else. The hunting was great but I left with a nagging feeling that I had shorted myself by not having a bigger list and wallet to go with it. I took seven species of plains game with a black wildebeast being the high point for that hunt.

My second trip was better planned and funded and is to this day what I think of as my “first” real safari trip. Plains game and dangerous game combined. Don’t short change yourself. You will see animals and trophies that you have only read about in books. I think the best advice I’ve ever been given and not followed was my father’s, he tried to convince me to wait a year before that first safari and save up more money. Like so many kids will tell you “what’s dad know”? He was right.

My dream & desire - kudu, gemsbok, Warthog, and definitely a leopard. If I have money left, it would be spent on eland and other antelope. I definitely want a caracal. Zebra is not on my wish list & nor are baboon or ostrich.

The reason I have leoplard & caracal on my "MUST" list is because I am originally from India and these animals are not available to hunt in India any more!

I made a classic young guy mistake on my first trip. I could just about afford the hunt package and the travel but not much else. The hunting was great but I left with a nagging feeling that I had shorted myself by not having a bigger list and wallet to go with it. I took seven species of plains game with a black wildebeast being the high point for that hunt.

Just as an aside, my group of hunters and I have decided to postpone our trip to Africa for 2 more years. Like Macs B said, we are going to save up the money to do it right. Our original plan was to shoot 3-4 animals and be happy with that but after getting "informed" on these forums, we chose to wait. Now we have dangerous game on the table, along with extending our stay in africa to 21 days instead of 10. Thanks for the good advice everyone.

I would defiantly take every good opportunity that comes my way. Waterbuck and Kudu is a must in my book two of the most beautiful animals in Africa.

Good luck and enjoy.;)

A big part of any African trip in cost, time, and comfort is the transportation. Depending where you live and where you are hunting in Africa, the dollar cost of getting there and back can equal the trophy cost of the animals that you shoot. Time wise it can amount to 2, 3, or more days each way. And there is alot of uncomfortable sitting in planes and airports.

Africa has a great variety of animals, but many animals are only found in certain areas. Make a list of the animals that you definately want, but be open to something else if the opportunity arises. It may be only a few hundred dollars in trophy fees, but that animal may not be available in the area of your next safari. And trophy fees seem to increase each year.

My first African safari was to the Limpopo Province of South Africa. I went over there with a #1 list and a #2 list. My #1 list was Kudu, Impala, and Warthog. My #2 list was Gemsbok, Waterbuck, and Bushbuck. I had animals of opportunity of Zebra, Red Hartebeest, and Blesbok. I did not shoot the Zebra or the Hartebeest bull, and after thinking about them for several years, they were high on my #1 list for my second safari.

After three trips to South Africa and to Zimbabwe, and 30 some days of hunting, I still have not found a Warthog with tusks that I like enough to shoot.:(

I would echo the thoughts about having the cash and doing it right - BUT you never know what the future holds - seize the opportunity.

I hunted for the first time in Africa last year - I hadn't dreamed of being able to do it for 10+years but my gf was sent to Namibia for work - the flight was paid for so I can't go to africa and not hunt.

So I was forced to a limited bag but I would say be open for opportunity and take it if it comes. Have a long list but prioritize it - ie must have, like to have, if it is really special.

For me I couldn't dream of going to Nam and not hunting Kudu Oryx and Eland, Hartman's (MTN) zebra. these are some of the most exclusive animals not found in other places - jsut a thought.

Oh and by the way oryx is a very tasting animal.

For Namibia, I would say Gemsbok. I will hunt Gemsbok everytime I return to Namibia.

A big part of any African trip in cost, time, and comfort is the transportation. Depending where you live and where you are hunting in Africa, the dollar cost of getting there and back can equal the trophy cost of the animals that you shoot. Time wise it can amount to 2, 3, or more days each way. And there is alot of uncomfortable sitting in planes and airports.

Africa has a great variety of animals, but many animals are only found in certain areas. Make a list of the animals that you definately want, but be open to something else if the opportunity arises. It may be only a few hundred dollars in trophy fees, but that animal may not be available in the area of your next safari. And trophy fees seem to increase each year...

I agree with you a 100%. The hunting in Africa is incredible compared to the badly managed U.S. But there is a lot of money that goes into hunting Africa in transportion fees. Getting to Africa, Getting Home and Getting your animals back. And of course the trophies fee going through the roof in inflation compared to other things you buy daily. This keeps a majority of people from hunting Africa only a few times in there lifetime.

I have not found a great warthog in my sights yet either after spending a lot of time in the bush. The next time I get to Africa...Warthog with big tusks will be very high on the list!

My first trip was not typical compared to what most do. My first african hunt was in Zimbabwe for 24 days. I took elephant, leopard, 2 buffalo, kudu, sable, waterbuck, zebra, a phenomenal klipspringer, warthog, impala, duiker, grysbok, and several other animals that don't come to mind at the moment. I also took my fiance on that trip and bought her a short hunt to see if she'd like hunting. She shot a kudu, impala and sable.

If I were doing my first hunt now, I'd definitely try to take more than 3 animals, probably 5-6 would be a nice bag. The only added expense will be trophy fees, and some extra dip and pack fees. That said, I took my family of four on a 2 week vacation to South Africa in May/June. We only hunted 5 days and it was my son's first hunt there. He's 21, so I didn't want him to shoot too many animals, but to just get a taste of african hunting. He shot a warthog, impala and kudu. I took an nyala and that was totally satisfied with that one animal.

As a first timer to any African country, I'd highly recommend hunting Kudu, they're fantastic! Here is a photo of my son's bull.

DannysKudu-2.jpg

If in doubt, hunt a few extra days and take an extra animal or two if available on quota. You will NOT regret it.

Attachments

• DannysKudu-2.jpg
    DannysKudu-2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 106
I am again going to be the odd man out. I am a 1st timer to Africa this year as well.

My list is simple: Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino and Cape Buffalo.

I grew up reading Chapstick, Heminway, Ruark and others. Too me, the Dark Continent is about the Big 5. I will be back after this year for the many other species Africa has to offer but for my first time out, I am going deep inot the bush to try and experience as much of the "traditional Africa" as ne can in the 21st Century.

No offense intended to the PG hunters, I am looking forward to going back PG hunting, but I am fortunate that I can start with the Big 5 and therefore will be.

I am again going to be the odd man out. I am a 1st timer to Africa this year as well.

My list is simple: Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino and Cape Buffalo.

I grew up reading Chapstick, Heminway, Ruark and others. Too me, the Dark Continent is about the Big 5. I will be back after this year for the many other species Africa has to offer but for my first time out, I am going deep inot the bush to try and experience as much of the "traditional Africa" as ne can in the 21st Century.

No offense intended to the PG hunters, I am looking forward to going back PG hunting, but I am fortunate that I can start with the Big 5 and therefore will be.

I am truly envious! I'll be starting out with tuskless cow elephant, cow cape buffalo, and AT LEAST tag an impala and warthog atop that. I'd love to make this a bi-yearly venture if possible.

1st timers animal choice

I'm going to RSA next May for first time with Kudu, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, & Nyala at top of my list --if I'm lucky with these I'll try for Bushbuck, Impala & Warthog. Love the look of all these.
2nd trip in 2-3 years will be for Buffalo & Buffalo ...& Buffalo.

2nd post for me ...great site...Regards to all.

35 days until I leave! The animals on my list: Gemsbok, impalla, blesbok, baboons, jackals, and though I'll probablly get flamed for the "canned hunt", lion. I also have enough $$$ to pay for a kudu if a nice one steps out.

I ended up shooting an impalla on my first day & last day...(a cull that a poacher had wounded), a gemsbok, a kudu, blesbock, & a lioness the thrill of my life having been charged by one the day before by one. Damn near crapped my pants & DID puke afterward. Call me anything you want my "canned lion hunt" was A LOT of work and scary as hell.

Karamojo Bill the lion story is good loved it and it is great to hear that you overcame fair and got your lioness well done sir!:thumb:

Karamojo Bill,

Thank you for posting your story on here especially about the lion as a lot of people think it is an easy hunt, that is the biggest mistake they make! It is a HELL of a hunt and is a quarter of the price of a male lion!

My advice would be that a package I will have in Namibia would be animals that is Indiginouas to Namibia....

That would be a Gemsbuck, Hartebeest and a Springbuck. You will shoot a real good trophy's of each of these animals in Namibia.

I am going for the first time this year also will be hunting Nyala, Blue Wildebeest and Impala. I am hunting Kwa Zulu and not sure what other animals to add would like to add a couple more but not sure what.

40 days to first safari

I leave in 40 days for my first African safari. We will be hunting in Limpopo for 10 full days. My trophy list is 1 or 2 Warthogs, 1 or 2 Impalla, Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Waterbuck & Blesbok. I will have extra funds for extra animals & tips.

Hi Husb 0023

Tanzania was where I treaded upon for the first time in AFRICA , took gemsbok , kudu, impala, warthog, duiker, and blue wildebeast. Its was a first memorable 7 day safari and was bitten by African hunt bug, can never stop thinking about the upcomong safaris this year.

Monish

DLS,

Classic Kudu trophy .

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross