1st time, trying to plan a trip to South Africa...need info

MattBrad

Reaction score
Hello All-

Just got on this site the other day. I'm planning a trip to South Africa for next Sept., during the dry months due to me being a bowman. I have read many outfitters/safari sites and believe I'm going to go with Hartzview. Has anyone been to Hartsview, and if not, heard anything about them? Going to go for the 10 day hunt for plains animals and am looking for some info about expenses, ect. I have read many forums and blogs about the added expenses and am somewhat aware of what I'm going to be spending, kind of guessing really, but would certainly like to hear from someone who maybe has been to Hartzview and would have any insight for me.

Thanks All

Matt

I was there with my son in 2011 after winning a free hunt .I can tell you that you will be one happy hunter there.What jaques tell you is the cost is the cost unless you add some days or animals.You can find many of my reports here about the hunt and others.They also do have some nice bow blinds there.Feel free to PM me here if you would like more info.I would tell you if you can take 10 days to enjoy yourself not the 7 most take for trips.

I was there with my son in 2011 after winning a free hunt .I can tell you that you will be one happy hunter there.What jaques tell you is the cost is the cost unless you add some days or animals.You can find many of my reports here about the hunt and others.They also do have some nice bow blinds there.Feel free to PM me here if you would like more info.I would tell you if you can take 10 days to enjoy yourself not the 7 most take for trips.

Thanks Billc for the reply. Yes, I have heard great things about Jaques and am looking forward to the trip. So as I understand you, you would certainly go back to Hartziew...lol.. good!
Anything you would suggest about the taxidermy and shipping? do's and dont's who and who not to use down there.

Thanks again Bill. Oh, The hunt I'm planning is just under 8k. How much additional should I be saving up to cover all the airfare and misc. things involved. Since you've 'been there, done that', especially to Hartz, what should I expect..

Thanks again Billc

welcome and enjoy the site mattbrad
Jacques is very well received here and if you want to know anything about extra costs and expenses with his outfit id just ask him as from what seen here what you see is what you get with him and every other outfitter here .
these guys are there to make your hutn one to remember not rip you or any one off .
good hunting

Thanks bluey! I believe Jacques is hunting lion right now and hopefully he will give me a call or email me when he returns. I look forward to speaking with him about a few things. Yes, I have heard Jacques is a straight shooter.. (no pun intended..lol)
In your opinion, is it better to do a package deal or not? some insight for me?

Thanks

Matt

Well save some money and call lori at travel express she is on here did my airfare.Get the extra flight to kimberly it is a cheap flight and saves some driving time.I did not have much time to save like 6 month so we did not hunt everything we wanted to.Animals you may not want now but when you see them in person walking they all of a sudden look real good.Lets here what is on the list and then i will help you try to add.lol Jaques will take you to the place he likes for taxidermy and they do good work and stay in touch with emails.I was more then happy with the work they did.Is there better in the states yes but cost more even with shipping the finished mount back to the states.The animals i will never hunt again and took what I thought were very good animals I am having done here in the states.Other then tips you will to give the staff and PH there will be no hidden cost there.I will add more as I think of stuff

Just for the record I never told you he is a straight shooter(LOL) but he does have a good tracking dog and i think two now as he added one after we hunted there.Bullet the wonder dog is amazing and added alot of fun to the trip for me but alot for my son.With any kind of good shooting those dogs will find that animal.Also if you last more then a day with out already thinking of how to get back for the next trip your a better man then me.

lol.. thanks billc! do you think its better for a package or daily rates? been doing some math and appears to be almost the same.. suggestions?

M

His package for 7950.00 covers some good animals.I did not think much of the blesbuck but it maybe fun hunting one with a bow.Was a great animal for my son to take.What makes a package good is if it has what you want to hunt in it.He will work you out a package to if you want other animals.Must animals not in that package are not animals must look for on there first trip.Eland,nyala,red hardbeast are mostly taken on peoples second trip for what i have seen.I am sure if you are having ahard time taking a certain one he will work with you on maybe changing to another one at that price range.I would make a list if most have animals and then ask for a quote on a package.Being your bow hunting some animals will be much harder then others.But in sept in will be dryer then when we were there so the waterholes will have them coming in.Plus the ranch has alot of cover so you can spot and stalk also.

it depends if the animals you favour are in the package or not .
the first time me and my son went in 2010 we both had the same package that was good but eneded up with double everything
on aug one me and my wife fly back to gods country and ive got another package deal but with some extra animals and the little lady as an obrever but weve spoken to the out fitter and theres some animal that she can take on my package and 2or 3 others that have sparked her interest .
of what ive worked out talking to the outfitters is the best way to get what you want , when every thing is out on the table and both parties are aware of the terms then there cant be any
misunderstanding or surprises
its your hunt ,talk to your outfitter and im sure he will steer you on the right path .
what animals are you wanting to hunt ?
if its all plains game see if jaques can tailor a package to suit your needs/wants
you are going to have a great hunt with memories you will cherish
and the planning /communicatoin from the very start is all apart of it
any question you ask will be answered ,yes even the silly ones I believe that he would've been asked every one that you can think to ask before proberly several times .
there many threads on this great site that will help you from packing your suit case to tipping after the hunt and im sure there will be even something about bringing your trophies home and how to do it
that with heaps of friendly help full members that will do everything they can to help .
coming here was a great first move

Hello All-

Just got on this site the other day. I'm planning a trip to South Africa for next Sept., during the dry months due to me being a bowman. I have read many outfitters/safari sites and believe I'm going to go with Hartzview. Has anyone been to Hartsview, and if not, heard anything about them? Going to go for the 10 day hunt for plains animals and am looking for some info about expenses, ect. I have read many forums and blogs about the added expenses and am somewhat aware of what I'm going to be spending, kind of guessing really, but would certainly like to hear from someone who maybe has been to Hartzview and would have any insight for me.

Thanks All

Matt

Matt,

I will be leaving for HartzView on May 25th arriving on May 27th, hunting no later than the 28th for 8 days. That is if work doesn't kill me first. As a matter of disclosure I am working on being a booking agent for Jacques. I have not been actively working in this manner as I'd like to hunt there first before doing any marketing work for Jacques.

So obviously I cannot yet give you first hand experience. That said, please feel free to PM me with your phone number and I'd be happy to call you and do what I can to get your questions answered. As mentioned I'm getting hammered at work right now and have not been as active on AH in the last month or two. But PM's lead to emails and I will be sure to get those.

Lastly, please do not feel you need to book the hunt through me if you do decide to send the phone number. I'd be happy to do that for you of course, but either way I'm also happy to help you out.

Hello All-

Thanks All

Matt

Matt

Great guy and friend you'll have an awesome time.........

My best always

Hello All-

Thanks All

Matt
look in the upper right corner very quickly, post a hunting picture and win a free hunt. It's just that easy.

Hi and welcome,you are going to enjoy your hunt over here in Africa.

Welcome Matt

Have only read good stuff about Jacques. I am sure you will be very happy booking with them and you will have a great time hunting South Africa as you chose a top notch outfit

Cheers

Welcome to AH Matt! You've chosen well, you'll have a great time and it is by choice but I do nothing but package hunts as I have a budget as well, I like to know what I've got to spend up front tickets will depend on when you book them but keep tips, taxidermy and shipping of trophies in mind as well. Jacques will be able I'm sure to give you plenty of recommendations and you can bet they'll be good ones check with Lori at express travel she'll be able to give you a better idea of prices for tickets.

Welcome to AH, Matt, you ll have a great time in Africa !

Welcome to AH, Matt, you ll have a great time in Africa !

+1.
Your largest added expenses will be taxidermy, shipping and added animals you suddenly get a huge urge to shoot when you are out hunting :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross