12 hours and counting...

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Mtgoat, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
    Tomorrow at 3:30 AM (I can't bring myself to call that morning) a car is scheduled to arrive to take us to the airport. That will be the beginning of what is supposed to be roughly 53 hours of travel to get to Omujeve lodge in Namibia. It will include four commercial flights and 24 hours of layovers in three airports (IAD, LHR and JNB). I'm not looking forward to the early departure or the excessively long layover at Heathrow (15 hours). Other than that, I'm excited to get the trip started and can't wait to get there.

I think that we're ready. Bags packed - check. Credit card companies notified - check. Alarm company notified - check. Passports current and in our carryon bags - check. Car scheduled - check. Medical evacuation insurance - check. Health insurance coverage while out of the country confirmed - check. Candy and flashlights for staff - check. Double check and triple check reservations and seat assignments throughout trip - check.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice to help me get ready for my first safari.
  2. Rob44

Rob44 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    Enjoy your Hunt ,,looking forward to your report and some Pics
  3. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
    Thanks. I certainly intend to take **a lot** of pictures and I'll share a few of the better ones. (For a trip like this 1,000 - 2,000 is likely. My wife will be taking her own set. We each have a camera, plus a backup - just in case.) Of course, I will post trip report.
  4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Wishing you and your wife an amazing time in Africa!
  5. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    You and your wife Enjoy the hunt we'll be looking forward to the report. But the trip "53hrs" wow! long trip is it the same coming back? My butt would be sore.
  6. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Thanks. We're both looking forward to it.
  7. Custom

Custom GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    US (Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana), RSA
    You will have an awesome time. My son and I made our first safari to the RSA in May. We took 10 trophies, 5 apiece. It was truly a life changing experience for us both.
  8. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    All the best Goat. Don't worry about the time getting there (at least you're not traveling with a 5 year old :p) enjoy the hunt and take plenty of pictures for you AH buddies to enjoy. Best wishes to you and your wife. Enjoy all the sights, smells and sounds of Africa.
  9. RickB

RickB AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA)
    Good luck!! we will be awaiting your return! and stories! and pics!!
  10. Nevada Wapati

Nevada Wapati AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, NAHC, RMEF, NBU, WSF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, RSA
    Have a great time. You:all have a blast with Corner and Nic.
  11. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo) canada (b.c)
    Hope you have a most excellent trip my goat
    Hunt well travel safely and absorb every moment
    And you have a good time getting there
  12. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Coming back isn't as bad. The connection is shorter at LHR. However, we still end up with a long layover at Dulles and aren't scheduled to arrive in Denver until midnight. That means that we don't get home until 1:00 AM, best case. I'm not planning to go to work in the morning - perhaps in the afternoon.
  13. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
    Good luck on your hunt. The dreaded "day after" is exactly why I book an extra day off after I return to recoop.
  14. HuntingAgent.com

HuntingAgent.com SPONSOR AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Have a great trip!
  15. Mtgoat

Mtgoat AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Thanks for the wishes for a great experience (which I expect). We've made it to Washington Dulles. We will have a 6 hour layover here. That's a tad long, but on the other hand, this morning, when the pilot announced that the computer was indicating a "small mechanical problem", I didn't have to worry about not making my connection to London.

I'm not sure if I have mentioned that I booked this trip with miles - and with difficulty. Also, I have a rule that on long flights I need to fly business class. Because of that combination, I ended up having to book the Dulles to Heathrow segment in first class (I generally believe that first class isn't worth the premium. However, I had no choice. The result is that in Dulles, we have access to the First Class lounge. The furniture is the same as elsewhere, but we have the place completely to ourselves! There is good selection of quality catered food (e.g., chateaubriand, caribbean chicken soup, cheesecake, etc.), five premium wines, and a full, well-stocked bar.

So far this is turning out to be a good experience. The staff in Washington told me that when we get to Heathrow, that we should also have access to the First Class lounge there. That would be nice.