Mtgoat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
Tomorrow at 3:30 AM (I can't bring myself to call that morning) a car is scheduled to arrive to take us to the airport. That will be the beginning of what is supposed to be roughly 53 hours of travel to get to Omujeve lodge in Namibia. It will include four commercial flights and 24 hours of layovers in three airports (IAD, LHR and JNB). I'm not looking forward to the early departure or the excessively long layover at Heathrow (15 hours). Other than that, I'm excited to get the trip started and can't wait to get there.

I think that we're ready. Bags packed - check. Credit card companies notified - check. Alarm company notified - check. Passports current and in our carryon bags - check. Car scheduled - check. Medical evacuation insurance - check. Health insurance coverage while out of the country confirmed - check. Candy and flashlights for staff - check. Double check and triple check reservations and seat assignments throughout trip - check.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice to help me get ready for my first safari.

Enjoy your Hunt ,,looking forward to your report and some Pics

Thanks. I certainly intend to take **a lot** of pictures and I'll share a few of the better ones. (For a trip like this 1,000 - 2,000 is likely. My wife will be taking her own set. We each have a camera, plus a backup - just in case.) Of course, I will post trip report.

Wishing you and your wife an amazing time in Africa!

You and your wife Enjoy the hunt we'll be looking forward to the report. But the trip "53hrs" wow! long trip is it the same coming back? My butt would be sore.

Thanks. We're both looking forward to it.

You will have an awesome time. My son and I made our first safari to the RSA in May. We took 10 trophies, 5 apiece. It was truly a life changing experience for us both.

All the best Goat. Don't worry about the time getting there (at least you're not traveling with a 5 year old :p) enjoy the hunt and take plenty of pictures for you AH buddies to enjoy. Best wishes to you and your wife. Enjoy all the sights, smells and sounds of Africa.

Good luck!! we will be awaiting your return! and stories! and pics!!

Have a great time. You:all have a blast with Corner and Nic.

Hope you have a most excellent trip my goat
Hunt well travel safely and absorb every moment
And you have a good time getting there

Coming back isn't as bad. The connection is shorter at LHR. However, we still end up with a long layover at Dulles and aren't scheduled to arrive in Denver until midnight. That means that we don't get home until 1:00 AM, best case. I'm not planning to go to work in the morning - perhaps in the afternoon.

Coming back isn't as bad. The connection is shorter at LHR. However, we still end up with a long layover at Dulles and aren't scheduled to arrive in Denver until midnight. That means that we don't get home until 1:00 AM, best case. I'm not planning to go to work in the morning - perhaps in the afternoon.

Good luck on your hunt. The dreaded "day after" is exactly why I book an extra day off after I return to recoop.

Thanks for the wishes for a great experience (which I expect). We've made it to Washington Dulles. We will have a 6 hour layover here. That's a tad long, but on the other hand, this morning, when the pilot announced that the computer was indicating a "small mechanical problem", I didn't have to worry about not making my connection to London.

I'm not sure if I have mentioned that I booked this trip with miles - and with difficulty. Also, I have a rule that on long flights I need to fly business class. Because of that combination, I ended up having to book the Dulles to Heathrow segment in first class (I generally believe that first class isn't worth the premium. However, I had no choice. The result is that in Dulles, we have access to the First Class lounge. The furniture is the same as elsewhere, but we have the place completely to ourselves! There is good selection of quality catered food (e.g., chateaubriand, caribbean chicken soup, cheesecake, etc.), five premium wines, and a full, well-stocked bar.

So far this is turning out to be a good experience. The staff in Washington told me that when we get to Heathrow, that we should also have access to the First Class lounge there. That would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smits

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg