SA 2012, Another Great Safari
This is a discussion on SA 2012, Another Great Safari within the South Africa Hunting Reports forums, part of the Hunting Reports & Questions About Outfitters/PHs category; Ok here is my 2nd safari with Smith and Dunham out of Alldays in Limpopo, we got back Aug 11th ...
08-25-2012, 07:07 PM #1
SA 2012, Another Great Safari
Ok here is my 2nd safari with Smith and Dunham out of Alldays in Limpopo, we got back Aug 11th and like last year it was a great experience and now i am trying to figure out how i am going to make it back in 2014.... and you can bet it will again be with Smith and Dunham. Any ways of course the flights sucked, but its a means to and end. This year though, a couple buddies came with me and again we had some great success on the plains animals and i dumped a buff as well.
So my 1st morning i was after buff and after about a 40 minute stalk, i shot a heavy 15 1/2" bossed buff, it was a rush, i was in awe of the sheer size of the animal, it was quite the job getting him into the back of the cruiser!! Latter that afternoon i also took a great Impala, a 27" heavy horned ram. The next day i took my favorite animal to date, a 42 1/2" Sable, it took us a while to find it in the heavy bushveld, but once we located the bull, it was just a matter of a quick stalk and from my perspective, the most regal looking of all plains game was on the ground. After that, it took me 2 days to find and take a very good wart hog, as in 2011 it really didnt work out for me... For the next couple days it was us chasing the grey ghost again, as last year i took a very good heavy horned 52" Kudu, so i was looking for something special and late one morning we came across a great Kudu and a short time later a +58" was down and on its way to the skinning house.
I dont have any pictures of the other guys on the hunt (they have not sent to me yet..), as we were all hunting separate farms, but they also shot very good animals as well. Again Freddie Smith put us on some great animals, the lodging and the food were top notch, his staff never stopped until the day was over and for that matter, Freddie was not happy till we were all happy. It was great days hunting and then excellent nights around the dinner table and fire pit.
At the end of the day, i am hooked on Africa and i am already looking at and/or discussing my next trip, possibly Zim next time....
08-25-2012, 07:17 PM #2
- Member of SCI
- Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape)
- Diamondhitch has no Articles
- View Diamondhitch's Photos
Nice job, great Impala! Congrats, looks like the Browning Stainless Stalker served you well. That is the same gun My wife used on our first trip, in .270.The journey is the reward.
08-25-2012, 08:09 PM #3
Thxs, that all i shoot is Browning, the stainless 375 shoots like a dream, the buff only needed 1, the Barnes 300 gr TSX hit like a hammer!!!!!
08-25-2012, 11:00 PM #4
- Member of Sporting Shooters Association Australia. Australian Deer Association
- Hunted Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
- messmate has no Articles
- View messmate's Photos
Some very nice animals there. Sable are an awesome animal and that's a fine example you have taken.
Well done & thanks posting.
08-26-2012, 12:44 AM #5
Congratulations Gary! Thanks for the hunt report and pictures!
Jerome Philippe, Founder of AfricaHunting.com
Visited every month by over 300,000 hunters who view 3.7 million pages and generate 16.5 million hits (statistics Jan 2013).
Click HERE to Support AH & Go GOLD, SILVER or BRONZE
If you enjoy this site then tell fellow hunters about it!
Our community is a place for seasoned African hunters and those who dream of someday hunting in Africa. I hope that you will find AfricaHunting.com a great place to spend time preparing for or dreaming about your future African hunting safari or reliving your last.
08-26-2012, 01:48 AM #6
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
Congratulations Gary! Those are some awesome trophies that Impala and Sable really stick out.Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
08-26-2012, 02:01 AM #7
- Member of diana
- Hunted namibia,southafrica,zimbabwe,sweden,france,mauritus,switzerland
- teenhunter has no Articles
- View teenhunter's Photos
great trophies seems like you are very lucky with kudu!!!
08-26-2012, 04:12 AM #8
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
08-26-2012, 06:18 AM #9
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi) South Africa ( Limpopo, Kwazulu Natal, Northern Cape) Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia) USA (Montana, Washington, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Hawaii)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Congratulations on some more "representative" animals. sheesh...
Wonder why you're happy!Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
08-26-2012, 07:41 AM #10
Thxs, yeah a bit of a horseshoe right now on safari's to say the least, but when your PH is the outfitter and the plan/stalk works out, well sometimes a guy gets lucky and takes a good animal. It also helps that this area has not been hunted a lot in the last few years and there seem to be an abundance of mature animals, it seems to be a well managed area.
08-26-2012, 10:20 AM #11
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
all are nice trophy's - however i like the sableJames Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
08-26-2012, 12:26 PM #12
- Member of SA Hunters, SA Wingsooters
- Hunted South Africa (Limpopo, North West, Free State, Mpumalanga, Kwa-Zulu Natal)
- davidhein has no Articles
- davidhein has no Photos
That sable is awesome! So are all the other trophies. Congrats!
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM #13
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Congrats on such a successful hunt, great animals, and a very nice sunset to boot."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche
What a hunt! Great pics. Nice Gary..nice.When I am not hunting, I am thinking about hunting....I think I'll go hunting.
08-26-2012, 08:10 PM #15
Thxs it was a great hunt for sure, now i just have to figure out how to get back to Africa in the next few years and still say married..... yikes its going to be a long few years
08-27-2012, 02:48 AM #16
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
- Norwegianwoods has no Articles
- View Norwegianwoods's Photos
Congrats with a great hunt.
Thanks for sharing.
08-27-2012, 03:22 AM #17
- Member of SCI
- Hunted USA, Namibia, RSA
- Ethan has no Articles
- View Ethan's Photos
Very nice - CONGRATS on the great trophies. Thanks for the update!
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM #18
Thanks for sharing the hunt report & the exquisite pictures , that kudu is a monster ....& the sable very handsome ...
MonishITS NOT THE RIFLE BUT THE MAN BEHIND THE RIFLE
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM #19
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Congrats for a great hunt and very nice trophies, thanks for sharing !
08-28-2012, 09:49 AM #20
- Member of PHASA WRSA
- Hotfire Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View Hotfire Hunting Safaris's Photos
Your animals where all exceptional, well done and congrats.Patrick Fletcher
Hotfire Hunting & Fishing Safaris
By NYAMAZANA SAFARIS in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 1Last Post: 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
By Cliffy in forum Reviews for Hunting Books, Hunting Videos / DVDsReplies: 1Last Post: 05-04-2012, 02:25 AM
By Siegfried in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 6Last Post: 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM
By Caracal in forum Hunts OFFERED or WANTED WorldwideReplies: 10Last Post: 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
By BigBullet in forum Hunts OFFERED or WANTED WorldwideReplies: 5Last Post: 07-19-2011, 06:41 AM