Speer deep curl bullets?
This is a discussion on Speer deep curl bullets? within the Reloading forums, part of the Firearms & Ammunition category; I know these are relatively new, but I'm wondering if anyone has used these on plains game in Africa, and ...
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM #1
- Mr. 16 gauge has no Articles
- Mr. 16 gauge has no Photos
Speer deep curl bullets?
I know these are relatively new, but I'm wondering if anyone has used these on plains game in Africa, and how they performed. I'm working up loads now with Nosler accubonds in my .338 Win mag, and hopefully I'll find a good one, but I am always looking for opitions.........
Thanks in advance............
03-28-2012, 05:57 PM #2
- Member of RMEF DU SCI NRA
- Hunted CAR CANADA MEXICO USA RSA
- BARTFRNCS has no Articles
- View BARTFRNCS's Photos
Speer hasnt ever been accurate enough or consistant enough for me. I would switch to an Aframe Accubond or tsx.
03-29-2012, 08:21 AM #3
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozandjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Sounds like you like to fiddle around.
The target will tell you how your rifle likes your "experiment".
I have not seen many people posting about Speers. Mostly, Barts list gets used.
As bart says, he has not found them consistent enough for him.
Let us know how your experience goes on the range.
03-29-2012, 08:57 AM #4
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
Used Speer years ago had the worst luck with them, Don't care for them at all.Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
03-29-2012, 09:24 AM #5
- Hunted Namibia, Kyrgyzstan South Africa
- gillettehunter has no Articles
- View gillettehunter's Photos
Like Bob, I used Speer years ago and had some bad experiences with them. Went to Hornedy and now mostly Barnes. I wasn't familiar w/ the deep curls so I googled it. Didn't see any really bad reviews. Just not many at all... That in itself seems a little odd. The accubonds should work just fine for you. Lots of good bullets out there. I wouldn't use one I didn't have confidence in. Bruce
03-29-2012, 10:15 AM #6
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
I have used the Hot Cor and Grandslam. The Deep Curl is a new bullet. Sounds a lot like a Federal Fusion. They are economical bullet. I'm sure the TSX would out perform in penetration.
03-29-2012, 10:50 AM #7
- Member of SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
- Wolverine67 has no Articles
- View Wolverine67's Photos
I used Grand Slam many years with success. Has not tryed Deep Curl yet. Sure looks like something similar to Federal Fusion, wich I used on my last trip to Africa. I currently using Norma Oryx mostly. A great bullet IMO.The best hunt are the one in your dreams, the next best are the one in your memories.
03-29-2012, 11:57 AM #8
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Agree with Wolverine67, Norma makes some really good factory loads, and the Oryx is a great bullet.
Good luck in you search and keep us posted on your results with Speers new bullet..."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith
By North Wind in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 7Last Post: 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM
By Code4 in forum Up To .375Replies: 9Last Post: 06-18-2012, 11:05 PM
By 6thtexas in forum .375 & UpReplies: 8Last Post: 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM