200gr A-Frames in .300 Win Mag
I ordered some 200gr A-Frames for my .300 Win Mag a couple of weeks ago. During the first shoot of these my Leupold scope went down on me, going out of focus and not coming back. But that's another story.
I swapped out the scope with my Zeiss 4.5-14 Conquest. After bore sighting with some Nosler Partitions, I moved on to the A-Frames. I loaded up 3 bullets each in the following powders per the Swift manual at max load: RL19, RL22, IMR4350 and IMR4831. All loads were in Remington brass with Fed 215 magnum primers. Adding to this mix was using the Lee Factory Crimp Die, seating the bullets to allow crimping at the cannelure of the bullet.
The first 3 shots were the RL19 loads. The picture is really of three shots despite there appearing to be only two holes. These were after bore sighting and came in 3 inches low and 3 1/2 inches right of the bullseye.
The next shots followed adjusting the scope to be on the bullseye. Now I'm not sure what this is attributed too. But I found it very interesting that all four loads have basically the same point of impact. Whatever the case, I've heard it said that A-Frames aren't that accurate, I would disagree with that assessment.
I don't have a chronograph, but according to the loading manual the velocities should be in the 2800 fps range give or take.