Jan Oelofse has passed away
This is a discussion on Jan Oelofse has passed away within the News forums, part of the AfricaHunting.com category; It is a sad day within the hunting community in Namibia as I have just heard that one of the ...
10-15-2012, 01:27 PM #1
Jan Oelofse has passed away
It is a sad day within the hunting community in Namibia as I have just heard that one of the great PHs and modern day legend in hunting Jan Oelofse from Jan Oelofse Hunting Safaris of Mount Etjo Safari Lodge has passed away today. He was a great man, conservationist and humanitarian who will be missed.
My sincere condolences to his wife Annette Oelofse and his family.
Jan, Annette & Alex at the Oelofse Safaris booth in Reno
Jan Oelofse and John Wayne
Jerome Philippe, Founder of AfricaHunting.com
Visited by over 240,000 hunters monthly, viewing 2.5 million pages, generating 14.5 million hits over 11,000 members (statistics Jan 2014).
Click HERE to Support AH
If you enjoy this site then tell fellow hunters about it!
Our community is a place for seasoned African hunters and those who dream of someday hunting in Africa. I hope that you will find AfricaHunting.com a great place to spend time preparing for or dreaming about your future African hunting safari or reliving your last.
10-15-2012, 01:36 PM #2
- Member of Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
- Hunted Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Rest in peace Jan! Condolences and prayers to the family.
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM #3
- Member of LZS/ZLDGorenjske/LD Begunjscica
- Hunted Slovenia, Croatia, Austria
- JANEZ L has no Articles
- View JANEZ L's Photos
R.I.P. Jan ...
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM #4
Sadly this has been a tough year . . . another legend gone. Salute to Jan, condolences to the family.
And thanks for posting the great photos of Jan and family/friends. You don't see many hunting pics of "The Duke" . . . and that speaks highly of Jan!A self-guided resident hunter in several African countries for 25 plus years
Life Member NRA & Life Member SCI
10-15-2012, 07:15 PM #5
- Member of SCI
- Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
- Diamondhitch has no Articles
- View Diamondhitch's Photos
RIPThe journey is the reward.
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM #6
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
Rest in peace Jan! Our prayers are with you and our condolences to the family.Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
10-16-2012, 02:44 AM #7
- Member of PHASA WRSA
- Hotfire Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View Hotfire Hunting Safaris's Photos
Our condolences are with Jans Family. RIP JanPatrick Fletcher
Hotfire Hunting & Fishing Safaris
10-16-2012, 03:17 AM #8
I had the privilege of meeting Jan and Annette last summer in Omaruru. Also picked up a copy of his remarkable memoir in Swakopmund. Both our sport and a unique connection to a somewhat simpler post-war world have been lost. After reading the book, I had to watch Hatari again and the bath scene is funnier than ever knowing that Jan is hiding behind the tub and Elsa Martinelli in order to get the cheetah, Sonja, to perform her part. Sincerest condolences to his family and many friends."We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
10-16-2012, 06:37 AM #9
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
- DOC-404 has no Articles
- View DOC-404's Photos
Had the pleasure of having dinner with him at Mount Etjo last year. A remarkable man. Rest in peace, Oom Jan.
10-16-2012, 07:33 AM #10
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Thankfully his memoir does provide some connection to that simpler time.
my innige simpatie aan sy familie en vreinden.Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM #11
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
Rest in peace, Jan! Our prayers are with you and our condolences to the family.
10-16-2012, 08:42 AM #12
- baas303 has no Articles
- baas303 has no Photos
Rest in peace Jan! Our prayers are with you and our condolences to the family.
10-17-2012, 03:47 AM #13
- Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA
- Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
- Jaco Strauss has no Articles
- View Jaco Strauss's Photos
11-02-2012, 05:22 AM #14
Tha fall of another legend..... may his spirit live on!
"I have always been rich - in hapiness, experience, enjoyment" - Jan Oelofse
RIP oom Jan!
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM #15
Cheers to a gentleman who obviously had a great life.
11-10-2012, 04:24 AM #16
- Member of SCI ,NRA ,FGCT Brazil.
- bobbytm has no Articles
- bobbytm has no Photos
Our condolences are with Jans Family. RIP Jan