Results 1 to 12 of 12

SAA moves to piece baggage concept

This is a discussion on SAA moves to piece baggage concept within the News forums, part of the AfricaHunting.com category; Good evening gents! Just some interesting information should you fly with SAA. SAA moves to piece baggage concept Best Regards, ...

  1. #1
    KMG Hunting Safaris's Avatar
    KMG Hunting Safaris is online now AfricaHunting.com SPONSOR
    Joined
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,220

    Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club

    Hunted South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand

    KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
    View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos

    Default SAA moves to piece baggage concept

    Good evening gents!

    Just some interesting information should you fly with SAA.

    SAA moves to piece baggage concept


    Best Regards,
    Marius Goosen
    Marius Goosen
    KMG Hunting Safaris - South Africa, Namibia, Zambia
    info@huntsafaris.co.za
    www.huntsafaris.co.za

  2. #2
    James.Grage's Avatar
    James.Grage is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF

    Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa

    James.Grage has no Articles
    View James.Grage's Photos

    Default

    just the reg we use now while flying and checking bags...
    James Grage - New Mexico
    Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
    "Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne

  3. #3
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,287

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    BRICKBURN has no Articles
    View BRICKBURN's Photos

    Default

    Thanks Marius. You had me worried for a minute.

    I agree James., it looks like the same rules we have been flying on already.
    Good to see the Africa to Africa rules are the same as our overseas international flight.

    Can you imagine someone showing up with ten bags, all under one weight limit, under the other rules.
    Wow.
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  4. #4
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is offline AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,309

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Diamondhitch has no Articles
    View Diamondhitch's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKBURN View Post
    Thanks Marius. You had me worried for a minute.

    I agree James., it looks like the same rules we have been flying on already.
    Good to see the Africa to Africa rules are the same as our overseas international flight.

    Can you imagine someone showing up with ten bags, all under one weight limit, under the other rules.
    Wow.
    Feather smugglers! LOL
    The journey is the reward.

  5. #5
    saeng101 is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    234

    Member of KZN Hunting & Conservation, CHASA, NRA

    Hunted USA,Zim,RSA,Russia,Moz

    saeng101 has no Articles
    View saeng101's Photos

    Default

    Just came in on the ATL flight. SAA hit everyone for over 20kg, even the business class guys. Most unfriendly airline in the world.

  6. #6
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,287

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    BRICKBURN has no Articles
    View BRICKBURN's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saeng101 View Post
    Just came in on the ATL flight. SAA hit everyone for over 20kg, even the business class guys. Most unfriendly airline in the world.
    WT*? As usual, airlines.....
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  7. #7
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,197

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    enysse has no Articles
    View enysse's Photos

    Default

    Well the airlines make billions in baggage fees....so it a GOOD RACKET.

  8. #8
    James.Grage's Avatar
    James.Grage is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF

    Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa

    James.Grage has no Articles
    View James.Grage's Photos

    Default

    SAA is the only airline that i have seen that limits your carry on baggage...and i like it...keeps people from taking everything on board...and filling up over head bins...there and others...i have also witnessed the scale being brought out to weigh your bag for some passengers and when over weight they have to be checked...love it...

    As a airline pilot informed me...if baggage is over your seat and does not belong to your seat mate remove and place your up there...remember when airline checks take place you have to remove your bag for bin inspection...and replace when the check is completed...another item is when you do not have your luggage carry on above you you can not monitor it for theft...your meds should be in this bag for easy reach...basic information is the bin above you is for your and your seat mate...

    Also SAA has gone out of there way to help provide seating...even thought you have your tickets i have always had to re-ticket in Dulles and SAA has been very help full..
    James Grage - New Mexico
    Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
    "Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne

  9. #9
    Cliffy's Avatar
    Cliffy is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,067

    Hunted Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO

    Cliffy has no Articles
    View Cliffy's Photos

    Default

    If you can't get by on 100 lbs or less in 2 bags (coach class) for a 10 day to 2 week hunt you're packing WAY too much stuff. We get buy on much less and have never been short on anything

  10. #10
    Lure Jensen is offline AH Member
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47

    Member of ATA, NRA, SCI, REMF,PF

    Hunted South Africa, Zulu Natal

    Lure Jensen has no Articles
    View Lure Jensen's Photos

    Default

    Having flown most of my life, I found SAA above average as a carrier! Did have a problem with their ticketing in the US. I made a mistake on what day and time my flight into Joburg was. I called and corrected! They charged $43. A couple of days later I received confirmation and the date was still wrong. I called to correct it and they said it would be another $43. I asked to talk to a super, she said, "do you want the flight or not"? I paid. I got caught on the over 50 lbs in May. Paid the $35 and they gave me a wonderful flight!

  11. #11
    35bore's Avatar
    35bore is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,968

    Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever

    Hunted USA, South Africa, France

    35bore has no Articles
    View 35bore's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James.Grage View Post
    SAA is the only airline that i have seen that limits your carry on baggage...and i like it...keeps people from taking everything on board...and filling up over head bins...there and others...i have also witnessed the scale being brought out to weigh your bag for some passengers and when over weight they have to be checked...love it...

    As a airline pilot informed me...if baggage is over your seat and does not belong to your seat mate remove and place your up there...remember when airline checks take place you have to remove your bag for bin inspection...and replace when the check is completed...another item is when you do not have your luggage carry on above you you can not monitor it for theft...your meds should be in this bag for easy reach...basic information is the bin above you is for your and your seat mate...

    Also SAA has gone out of there way to help provide seating...even thought you have your tickets i have always had to re-ticket in Dulles and SAA has been very help full..
    +1. The most important stuff is in the belly of the plane anyway.
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche // That which does not kill me, better run like hell" Scott Smith

  12. #12
    Norwegianwoods's Avatar
    Norwegianwoods is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    988

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa

    Norwegianwoods has no Articles
    View Norwegianwoods's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saeng101 View Post
    Just came in on the ATL flight. SAA hit everyone for over 20kg, even the business class guys. Most unfriendly airline in the world.
    I have been flying rather much with lots of different airliners and the only one that has not charged for over 20 kg or 30 kg limit, was Lufthansa once when I had my then 2 1/2 month son with me and they said they would not charge me for my 20 kg overweight.

Similar Threads

  1. Rifle cases and oversize baggage
    By desertloper in forum Before & After the Hunt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 07:43 PM
  2. Tuff pak and Excess baggage fees
    By twf in forum Before & After the Hunt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
  3. CBS 60 Minutes piece on big game hunting
    By Eslabon Ranch in forum News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM
  4. Own a piece of Africa?
    By Michelle in forum Free Classifieds
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 11:32 AM
  5. Warning: Do Not Put Valuables in Checked Baggage
    By safari gal in forum Before & After the Hunt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •