Rhino poacher gets it
This is a discussion on Rhino poacher gets it within the News forums, part of the AfricaHunting.com category; Johannesburg - Law enforcement agencies on Friday seized R11m in assets from a Limpopo game farmer convicted of dealing in ...
07-20-2012, 03:30 PM #1
- Member of KZN Hunting & Conservation, CHASA, NRA
- Hunted USA,Zim,RSA,Russia,Moz
- saeng101 has no Articles
- View saeng101's Photos
Rhino poacher gets it
Johannesburg - Law enforcement agencies on Friday seized R11m in assets from a Limpopo game farmer convicted of dealing in rhino horns.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said the assets are believed to have been acquired by Jan Karel Pieter Els, from Thabazimbi, through criminal activities.
The assets included a Toyota Fortuner, a Toyota Hilux, a BMW motorbike, two Bombardier ATV motorbikes, and household goods.
Els further lost his game farm in Thabazimbi, company shares, and the contents of his bank accounts.
In March this year Els was convicted of illegally dealing in 38 rhino horns in 2009 and 2010. He had bought seven rhinos from the Limpopo Valley Conservancy in Musina, informing the environmental affairs department that he was taking them to Thabazimbi.
"Instead he dehorned five rhinos without a permit in Musina and moved some without horns," Malaudzi said.
Els also bought 30 horns from a manager at the Maremani Nature Reserve in Musina, Tommy Fourie. All were taken to Thabazimbi without a permit.
"All the horns involved were never recovered, since he claimed that they were all stolen from his farm," Malaudzi said.
Despite his claims of innocence, Els was convicted of illegally dealing in 38 rhino horns with a total value of R11.4m. The court also ordered him to pay R1m to the National Wildlife Crime Reaction Unit fund.
Els asked for leave to appeal, but this was turned down. He is currently serving a 10-year sentence at Sinthumule Kutama Prison. Two of those years were suspended.
Fourie committed suicide in November 2010, after being arrested with Els.
Friday's asset seizure was a joint effort between the endangered species unit of the Hawks, the National Prosecuting Authority, the Asset Forfeiture Unit, and Environmental Affairs.
07-20-2012, 04:24 PM #2
- Member of SCI
- Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan
- Diamondhitch has no Articles
- View Diamondhitch's Photos
Score 1 for the good guys.The journey is the reward.
07-20-2012, 04:55 PM #3
- Member of SCI, RMEF
- Hunted Limpopo, Eastern Cape,Natal
- Blue Skies Hunting Adventures has no Articles
- View Blue Skies Hunting Adventures's Photos
That is indeed some great news, hope they keep it up.Brian
Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
07-20-2012, 06:40 PM #4
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
thanks for sharing with usJames Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
07-20-2012, 08:48 PM #5
- Member of SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
- Hunted Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia
- RogerHeintzman has no Articles
- View RogerHeintzman's Photos
07-20-2012, 08:49 PM #6
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Gee they didn't believe he was a victim of theft!
One down, Now to get the rest of the crowd.Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
07-21-2012, 03:02 AM #7
- Member of SA Hunters, SA Wingsooters
- Hunted South Africa (Limpopo, North West, Free State, Mpumalanga, Kwa-Zulu Natal)
- View Articles by davidhein
- davidhein has no Photos
This is great news for the fight against rhino poaching.
Glad to see harsher sentences being handed down to those destroying our wildlife illegally and for personal gain. Greed after all is a deadly sin...
By DOC-404 in forum NewsReplies: 8Last Post: 10-09-2012, 11:40 PM
By saeng101 in forum NewsReplies: 20Last Post: 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
By tap in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 39Last Post: 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 2Last Post: 11-24-2010, 03:30 AM