New Member From Georgia
This is a discussion on New Member From Georgia within the Introductions & Greets forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Main category; Greetings! I am new to this website but have been semi-active on the "other" widely-read African hunting website since 2000. ...
03-01-2012, 07:11 AM #1
New Member From Georgia
Greetings! I am new to this website but have been semi-active on the "other" widely-read African hunting website since 2000.
I'm a retired Army officer; also spent nearly 20 years in the real estate business and then taught in a public high school for a couple of years. Now, at 65, I'm "retired," which mostly means I am unemployed and a house-husband, as my wife is still in the workforce.
My first trip to Africa was in 1996 when I hunted the East Cape, up near Cradock, with Southern Cross Safaris. I took two of my sons, who were in high school at the time, and they ended up shooting about half my license.
My youngest son really enjoyed the 1996 trip and wanted to go back for dangerous game, so when he graduated from college in 2002 and got accepted to law school, I took him the summer after graduation to Zimbabwe, where he killed a decent Cape buffalo and a nice sable. We were hunting near Hwange and, unfortunately, about six weeks after we left the landowner's property was seized and he and his family thrown in jail.
I've also hunted free-range hill stags (red deer) in northern Scotland and was on a televised whitetail hunt in Texas some years ago.
Two of my military assignments were in Alaska, and I was fortunate to be able to hunt there on a resident license.
I live out in the country on four acres near Atlanta; we are just 30 minutes from the airport but can (still, for a while) legally gun hunt where I live, so my hunting these days amounts to going down to the creek on the back of our property and trying to ambush a deer for the freezer. I also try to quail hunt one a year but of course even in Georgia it is put-and-take; not many wild coveys left. And then there's dove season every September, but it's getting hard to find a good shoot these days.
Guess that's about it--my good friend Terry Blauwkamp recommended this site, and I'm glad to be here.
03-01-2012, 07:25 AM #2
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Welcome to the forum, lot of good guys on here. Love to hear some of your stories..."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche
03-01-2012, 09:16 AM #3
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
Nitro Express welcome to AH...James Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM #4
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi) South Africa ( Limpopo, Kwazulu Natal, Northern Cape) Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia) USA (Montana, Washington, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Hawaii)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Welcome to AH.
I second the motion about hearing your tales and seeing some pictures too.
Glad to see you are still hunting as much as you can.Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM #5
Welcome to AH Nitro Express! Looking forward to your participation on the site and reading your posts.
Thanks Terry for telling your friend about AH!
Jerome Philippe, Founder of AfricaHunting.com
Visited every month by over 300,000 hunters who view 3.7 million pages and generate 16.5 million hits (statistics Jan 2013).
Click HERE to Support AH & Go GOLD, SILVER or BRONZE
If you enjoy this site then tell fellow hunters about it!
Our community is a place for seasoned African hunters and those who dream of someday hunting in Africa. I hope that you will find AfricaHunting.com a great place to spend time preparing for or dreaming about your future African hunting safari or reliving your last.
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM #6
Welcome! I think you will find this forum very friendly and helpful. Very rare to have a disagreement here and when we do it's generally civil. Glad to have you here.Tom
03-01-2012, 09:56 AM #7
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
Hi Nitro Express,
Welcome to the forum. Your extensive hunting knowledge will only add to the value of this great forum. I look forward to reading more of your input.
03-01-2012, 11:29 AM #8
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
Welcome to AH!
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM #9
- Member of NWTF, RMEF, SCI, NRA LIfe
- Hunted Namibia, Canada, U.S.A.
- Jriley has no Articles
- View Jriley's Photos
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM #10
We live in south Fulton County, in the newly-formed city of Chattahoochee Hills--but it is a Fairburn mailing address. We are out in the country on four acres--half an hour from anything.
03-01-2012, 12:17 PM #11
I have an uncle who lives in Fariburn. Its amazing yall are so close to Atl. but turn of the interstate and in a few minutes your in the country for sure. Nothing like up my way, where its crowded all the way to the 85 / 985 split.I have walked in the tracks of the elephant, heard the lion roar and met the buffalo on his terms. I shall never be the same.
03-01-2012, 03:29 PM #12
- Member of SCI, PHASA, NRA, NWTF, RMEF
- Trophy Game Safaris has no Articles
- View Trophy Game Safaris's Photos
Welcome to the site!David Tenney
US Marketing Representative
Trophy Game Safaris www.tgsafari.co.za
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM #13
- Member of NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
- Hunted South Africa, Germany, USA
- RickB has no Articles
- View RickB's Photos
Great to have you!! Welcome to AH."Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever."
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM #14
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
Once again Nitro Welcome to AH! I am also retired Army "SGM" 3 tours in Alaska 3 in Germany and all over the lower 48, resident in Alaska for 22 years still miss the hunting and fishing and still go back there every year as my Son and his wife and 2 of my Grandchildren are still there. Enjoy the site a lot of good folks here.Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
03-02-2012, 12:11 PM #15
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Welcome to the Forum, Nitro Express !
03-03-2012, 12:33 AM #16
- Member of NAPHA, DSC, SCI
- Hunted NAMIBIA, AFRICA.
- Kowas Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View Kowas Hunting Safaris's Photos
Dear Nitro Express
Your friend, Terry Blauwkamp, can not be wrong by recommending you to this great FORUM. Enjoy the participation and discussions and sharing your opinion.
I send you a PM (private message).
03-21-2012, 03:45 PM #18
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia
- Intu Safaris has no Articles
- View Intu Safaris's Photos
By Royal27 in forum Introductions & GreetsReplies: 16Last Post: 06-25-2012, 05:50 AM
By fhm3006 in forum Humor, Ridiculous, Shocking Jokes, Stories or PicturesReplies: 6Last Post: 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM
By Shan in forum Introductions & GreetsReplies: 16Last Post: 07-22-2011, 05:53 PM
By gblanke in forum Zimbabwe Hunting ReportsReplies: 3Last Post: 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM
By Jriley in forum Introductions & GreetsReplies: 8Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:14 PM