Greetings and many questions
This is a discussion on Greetings and many questions within the Introductions & Greets forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Main category; Hi all, I have been lurking around the forum for a bit and thought it was time to ask some ...
06-10-2013, 05:56 PM #1
- gearhound has no Articles
- gearhound has no Photos
Greetings and many questions
Hi all, I have been lurking around the forum for a bit and thought it was time to ask some questions. I recently read Steve Robinsons book "How To Become a Professional Hunter in Africa" and a number of other African hunting books (Chapstick's and VanBuskirk) and was wondering how plausible is it for one to come from a foreign land and work as a PH or Game Warden in Africa somewhere? I'm aware that to do that type of work in South Africa you must be a resident but are other countries more accepting of foreigners to those positions? How does one go about applying for an apprenticeship?
A little about me is I have been hunting for over 15 years, only in the U.S. (Elk, Deer, Coyotes etc.). I'm very soon completing a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology.
Any Info/tips/insight would be greatly appreciated!
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM #2
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
Welcome to AH! Steve R. is member of AH. He can answer more of your questions. I think its a hard road. I would the SCI or DSC conventions and ask around for a job opportunity.
06-10-2013, 07:53 PM #3
Welcome to AH gearhound!
Jerome Philippe, Founder of AfricaHunting.com
Visited every month by over 300,000 hunters who view 3.7 million pages and generate 16.5 million hits (statistics Jan 2013).
Click HERE to Support AH & Go GOLD, SILVER or BRONZE
If you enjoy this site then tell fellow hunters about it!
Our community is a place for seasoned African hunters and those who dream of someday hunting in Africa. I hope that you will find AfricaHunting.com a great place to spend time preparing for or dreaming about your future African hunting safari or reliving your last.
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM #4
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania
- Wheels has no Articles
- View Wheels's Photos
Welcome aboard gearhound. enysse's information is as good or better than anything I can say. If you have read Steve's book you know more about it than me already. Steve or one of the other ph's here should be able to help. Good Luck in your future."TIME"........God's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.
06-10-2013, 10:03 PM #5
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozandjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Welcome to AH.
There are a host of threads on this topic on AH.
There are countries where you can go to work. Getting an outfitter to take you on will be the biggest chore you encounter.
One of our members jumped in and is now working in the field (jungle really). He is working for CAWA.
He has an amazing story of persistence.
Last edited by BRICKBURN; 06-12-2013 at 06:00 AM.Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
06-11-2013, 06:57 AM #6
- Member of PHASA, SA Hunter & Conservation
- Hunted South Africa, Botswana
- Bos en Dal Safaris has no Articles
- View Bos en Dal Safaris's Photos
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM #7
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Welcome to Ah, and good luck with your goal !
06-11-2013, 08:47 PM #8
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
06-16-2013, 05:45 AM #9
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
06-17-2013, 08:21 AM #10
- Member of SCI, WSF, RMEF, DU, NWTF, ATA, NRA
- Hunted US (ND,CO,TX,OK,KS,MO,TN,KY,SC,GA,AK), South Africa
- BnC 04 has no Articles
- BnC 04 has no Photos
Welcome to the AH gearhound"A Wife and a Steady Job have Ruined Many a Good Hunter" E.H.
By Rusty in forum Bowhunting AfricaReplies: 5Last Post: 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
By Cleathorn in forum .375 & UpReplies: 21Last Post: 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
By RickB in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 8Last Post: 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
By mabesomeday in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 17Last Post: 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
By Tom071 in forum Before & After the HuntReplies: 16Last Post: 04-27-2011, 03:54 AM