Results 1 to 18 of 18

SOUTH AFRICA: My First African Hunt

This is a discussion on SOUTH AFRICA: My First African Hunt within the Hunting Reports & Reviews forums, part of the HUNT AFRICA category; For the past three years or so I've been thinking about hunting in Africa. It had always been a dream, ...

  1. #1
    Rick Teal is offline New Member
    Jun 2013

    Member of B&C Measurer, SCI, OFAH, FROW, Grenville Fish and Game Club

    Hunted RSA

    Rick Teal has no Articles
    Rick Teal has no Photos

    Default SOUTH AFRICA: My First African Hunt

    For the past three years or so I've been thinking about hunting in Africa. It had always been a dream, but I never considered it to be a real possibility. However, prices have dropped in recent years, and the outfitter costs are now less than a caribou hunt in Quebec or a moose hunt in Newfoundland and western hunts are astronomical in cost.

    Being on a pension, I looked at it as a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, but I was concerned with the cost (and the space) if I came back with a boxcar full of trophy mounts. Therefore I elected for a cull hunt, but I really wanted at least one trophy to hang on the wall.

    I booked a 6 day, 5 animal cull hunt but I added one day and a trophy Kudu to the package. Ever since I saw my first picture of a Kudu, the species has fascinated me.

    Cull hunts are used to reduce the herds, and are normally for female animals. Since the females of most African species have horns, it was my thought to have skull mounts made of the other animals I shot. Since Impala females don't have horns, I was hoping I'd be allowed to take an immature male.

    After flying overnight with no sleep I arrived in Kimberley at about 10:30 AM on Friday where the outfitter Theuns Cloete picked me up and took me to the lodge. After I got settled in, he took me out to the range to see if I could shoot. On the advice of the booking agent, I had decided to rent a rifle over there rather than go through the hassle of shipping and importing one into the RSA. The gun he gave me to use was one of Satan's bolt action scope sighted magnum rifles . It was a Howa in .300 WinMag. The ammo was PRVI Partizan 170 grainers loaded to 2870 fps. The bullets were mainly copper with a small lead core in the front end, and though I didn't get the bang/flops I prefer, all but one bullet exited, and with one exception the animals died within a short distance. The gun was quite heavy, but my only real problem with it was that the scope was mounted too far back for me, so after I shouldered the gun, I would have to move my head back and then down a bit to get a good sight picture.

    I took some shots from the bench and a tripod, which satisfied him I could shoot (little did he know). Since my hunt did't officially start 'till Saturday he had me grab my camera and took me for a tour of his properties. At one point the spotted a Red Hartebeest and suggested we make a play for it. All was good, however before long my jet lag and lack of sleep wore me down to a point where I was just dragging it, and when the animals moved off one more time, we abandoned the stalk.

    Theuns was very tolerant of my rookie indecision, and allowed me to amend my shooting list several times while I was there.

    The next morning we set out to see what we could find on what I'd describe as a combination still hunt/spot-and-stalk. We moved through a long winding area of cover that was a mixture of trees, brush and open areas along a dry drainage. We saw several animals - mainly Springbuck and Blue Wildebeest - but as we moved closer or set up the animals would move back into the brush. Finally, we located a small herd of Blue Wildebeest that we were able to move in on. Theuns set up the tripod for me and we watched 3 or 4 animals waiting for a clear broadside shot on a female. Finally one separated and stood broadside.

    This whole thing was new to me. Nervousness, shooting from a rest (that I later realized was being set up uncomfortably high for me), the unfamiliar rifle, sighting system and uncomfortable eye relief, having the PH next to me while I shot, and incompetence led me to fire too far back (about where you'd hit the liver on a deer or moose). The animal staggered and then ran off. Theuns said he had been mistaken, and the animal was a decent male - not a female.

    It seems blood trailing is virtually impossible with herd animals, and having been joined by Kevin (one of the trackers) we spent a lot of time trying to spot a downed animal or a hurt one in a herd or alone. After lunch Theuns 12 year old daughter Dorita added her young eyes to our search.

    As dusk approached they decided that they'd exhausted every likely area the animal could be in, and they decided to try to stalk a small herd of Gemsbok we spotted. We pulled off on a relatively unused track, and started our stalk. Unfortunately the herd spotted us and stayed out of my range.

    We went back to the truck and proceeded along the track to meet up with another road. Dorita said something in Africaans, and Theuns locked up the truck and threw it into reverse. She had spotted a Wildebeest laying under a tree. We got out and set up and the animal didn't move. Theuns had decided that the animal was likely mine, but even if it wasn't, it was likely sick or injured and should be removed anyway. He told me to shoot it in the head, but since I wanted a skull mount I tried to angle my bullet through the neck. As I squeezed the trigger he shifted his head and body, and I missed! I was so disgusted with myself I felt like handing the rifle off. The animal didn't move much after the shot, but its neck was better exposed, so my next shot took him there and he died rather quickly. He had travelled about 4 Km (2.5 miles) from where I shot him. Apparently he was quite a good Wildebeest. My first shot had hit about 4 inches lower than I thought, and effectively gut-shot him.

    The next morning we set out to hunt the same ribbon of cover, as the previous morning. We saw several Springbuck, but luck was against us, and my self confidence was totally shot by this time, causing me to take too much time getting set up.

    We ran out of cover coming into an open area. Theuns told me to wait there and he'd get the vehicle and pick me up. He left the tripod behind, and I hung the rifle from it and moved over to sit down beside a thorn bush. There were a couple of Rhino at about 300 yds and moving away that I watched for a while. I sat there quite a while and dozed off sitting. I heard something moving on the other side of the bush and came alert. It was a Rhino at about 20 yds. I decided to stand up and move away from him. As I struggled to my feet, I looked away from him, and then I heard a loud thump, thump, thump. I looked back through the bush and saw him put on the brakes (just like in the movies) and stop maybe 20 feet from me. I moved quickly to the gun, while he trotted off about 30 yds and stood there giving me the evil eye. He eventually moved off just before Theuns returned. If I was going to have a heart attack on this trip, that would have been the time.

    After lunch, Dorita joined us as we cruised the back roads looking for something to spot-and-stalk. We made a turn and saw a Hartebeest at about half a mile. Theuns pulled off behind some brush where he and I set off to stalk the Hartebeest. He had Dorita turn the truck around and go back hoping the animals wouldn't be alerted by the truck. She parked the vehicle away from where we were hunting. We spent the better part of the next three hours trying to stalk within range of a female Hartebeest with no luck. I could have shot the herd bull 5 or 6 times as he made a habit of exposing himself to us while protecting his harem.

    We came out to one of the roads just as the herd broke and ran away from us. Theuns got on the radio and called Dorita over to pick us up. She made a wrong turn and ended up taking the long way around. In doing so she put up a large herd of Springbuck that I saw running at right angles about half a mile away. They stopped and then turned more toward us but still on a line to miss us by 400 yds. They stopped again and turned straight toward us moving more slowly. When they came within my range, they were so tightly grouped that a shot might have resulted in the wounding of several. They stopped at about 100 yds and a few began to peel off to the right. Theuns said I could take any one of the animals on the right. Three times I aimed at an animal only to have another move into the line of sight. This didn't happen with the 4th animal, and though I hit him a little bit back he was down almost on the spot. It turns out this was a male as well with a little above average set of horns. The range was 90 yds.

    On Monday morning Theuns, Kevin and I tried some spot-and-stalk with no success. Then, having seen me have success waiting for the Springbuck to come to me the previous day, Theuns decided to change tactics and set up drives of sorts with me watching. He and I set up on the ground in the middle of a tree, and Kevin set out with the vehicle to circle around and then walk toward us. Shortly after he left, I looked at the crest of a low hill beside us, and saw the tips of Gemsbok horns - a lot of them - moving toward us. We set up and a herd of Gemsbok moved steadily by us coming as close as 40 yds.

    Here we had a breakdown in communication. Earlier we had talked about what shots I should take, and I understood that I was to hold off until an animal stopped. Theuns identified an animal and told me to take it when I could. He meant when it was walking, and I thought he meant when it stopped. Being a wilderness hunter from Ontario, shots at moving animals are routine. So here I was anxious to shoot, but holding off because I thought that's what the PH wanted, and he was wondering why I wasn't shooting. The herd moved by and stopped at 135 yds. Theuns picked an animal and we set up again. After shooting the Wildebeest low, I decided the gun might be shooting a little low (vanity or what), and aimed high on the side of the Gemsbok. My shot went right over her spooking the whole herd.

    We did a post mortem of both chances, and Theuns called Kevin to come back for us.. While we waited a small herd of common Blesbuck slowly moved into sight and then toward the area where I missed the Gemsbok. The herd stopped a little farther away than the Gemsbok. I blocked the miss out of my head, put the crosshairs on the shoulder and squeezed off at 185 yds. She took a couple of hops and died.

    That afternoon, they decided to try the same approach again in a different part of the property. There was some brush and trees north of the area where we'd set up, but we were expecting the animals to come from the west.

    Again, before Kevin had a chance to get into position, we noticed some Gemsbok approach and then hang up in the brushy area. Finally a single Gemsbok stepped into the clear at about 65 yds. It seemed to be acting as a sentry for the herd. Theuns gave me the go-ahead. I pulled on the shoulder, and shot. The animal went about 75yds - all within sight - and piled up. She was a beautiful animal with horns around 30 inches long. This is a little under what is considered to be a trophy Gemsbok, but I decided to have her mounted anyway.

    After four animals down in three days of hunting we decided to shift our focus to my Kudu. From my reading, I learned that Kudu hunting is very difficult and physically taxing. I have an artificial hip, I'm arthritic, grossly overweight and terribly out of shape. I wondered if I had any chance of closing on a Kudu. Theuns assured me that he thought I had a real chance and he and Kevin would do their best to put me on an animal. Theuns estimated it would take 2 days to get me a Kudu.

    So Tuesday morning we went to another part of the property that held more Kudu than where we'd been hunting. After a few minutes on the property, the road took us past a thick area, and we spotted some female Kudu with one immature male mixed in. Theuns and Kevin talked a bit in Africaans but we didn't stop and proceeded along the road. After a few more minutes we stopped, and I was told that we'd stalk that herd in the hopes that there might be a trophy bull mixed in that we didn't see as we drove by.

    We moved ahead with Kevin in the lead (Theuns is training him to be a PH). After about 200 yds, Kevin saw something, but since he only was speaking to Theuns - and in Africaans - I was kind of out of the loop. Theuns turned to me and said they'd spotted two bulls with the herd, but they were a long way off, and we'd have a difficult stalk. We tried several approaches that petered out, when finally we stepped down into a dry drainage, and were able to use the terrain for cover.

    Theuns set up the tripod and motioned me forward to mount the rifle. He pointed to a tree and said there was a trophy Kudu standing in it with his horns among the tree limbs. I looked over and couldn't see a thing. He said it was facing right. The range was about 100 yds, and all I could make out was an orange leaf on the tree.

    When I put the scope on the area, the Kudu stood out plain as day. The orange leaf was the inside of one of his ears. I put the crosshairs on the shoulder and shot. He humped and sprinted out of sight into the cover. While we waited before following up, two more mature bulls broke cover and ran to our right - one had a massive body.

    We found him within about 60 yds of the shot. I was on cloud 9! A little over an hour into what should have been a tough two day hunt, we had our animal on the ground.

    I did a little celebrating that night, and in the course of the evening, my desire for a male Impala led to my dropping the Hartebeest and paying for an upgrade from a cull to a trophy Impala.

    The next morning, we started my Impala hunt with a stalk that fizzled when a herd of Springbuck ran off, and then took some Wildebeest and Zebras, drawing the Impalas we were targeting with them.

    We moved to another area where Kevin spotted some Impala and we began a pursuit that took us a long way as they were wary of us. Eventually we got to a valley with some thick stuff in the bottom Theuns and Kevin were focused on the animals we had been following, which were off to the left. I noticed a single animal in the brush to the right, but couldn't tell if it was male or not. We stalked to the left, but the herd eventually broke and ran off.

    It was decided to make a swing to the right and circle a hill hoping some of the animals may have ducked in that direction. We just got moving when a mature impala was seen moving directly at us from the thicket where I saw the animal earlier. We set up, and Theuns gave me the go-ahead saying it was clearly a trophy animal. He was walking directly at me and slightly up hill not presenting the best of shots. Finally at 80 yds he turned slightly to his right giving me a shot at his left shoulder. He took off to my left - up hill - and gave a couple of hops before dropping. This was the only bullet that didn't exit, and we discovered it just under the hide on the right hip. I understand it's a very good Impala.

    This left me with my full list of animals filled and 2 1/2 days left. Rather than doing nothing, I decided to add a couple of more cull animals, and make them of species I hadn't taken yet. I decided to add the Hartebeest back in and go for a black Wildebeest as well.

    In the afternoon we spotted some Black Wildebeest and stalked and then followed them through some relatively open country. They kept moving ahead of us staying just out of my range. Finally they held up in a thicket. A couple of attempts at getting a shot failed when the animal stepped back into the cover. Finally one stepped out, facing us, and I was on her, when she turned another animal walked behind, but finally the shooting lane cleared, and I put the shot on her shoulder. She dropped within 5 yds after a 200 yd shot.

    The next morning we set out after a Hartebeest. I'd already spent more time trying to get a shot at a female Hartebeest, by far, than any other animal on this hunt. I felt the hunting gods were against me on this animal.

    Our first hunt in the morning fizzled, and the second produced a chance at bulls only. In the afternoon we were stalking a herd, when they saw us and broke. The second hunt was on a lone animal that proved to be a bull. The third hunt was on a herd of 6 animals that finally hung up in some thick stuff. We had no cover to advance, so we set up and waited. Finally a female stepped clear and then presented a broadside shot. I shot her at 130 yds, and she travelled less than 30 yds before dropping.

    I decided that I`d exhausted my hunting budget, and besides we needed to spend some time at the bank and with the taxidermist, so I ended my hunt at this point. It was quite an adventure. Eight animals in 6 hunting days all from different species.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Jan 2009

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    enysse has no Articles
    View enysse's Photos


    Thanks for the hunt report, nice pictures, that is a heavy horned kudu.

  3. #3
    Wheels's Avatar
    Wheels is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Dec 2012

    Hunted Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania

    Wheels has no Articles
    View Wheels's Photos


    I am glad you were able to take your "Hunt of a lifetime". Maybe someday you will get to take it again. Love the rhino story. Thanks for sharing your report and pics. Your animals are certainly not indicative of a cull hunt. If ever put in a position of using another persons rifle you might see if they will let you adjust the scope to give you better eye relief.
    "TIME"........God's way of keeping everything from happening all at once.

  4. #4
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Jan 2009

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    enysse has no Articles
    View enysse's Photos


    Wheels, you had me thinking the same thing, cull hunt or trophy hunt? LOL
    Not your typical cull, I'd like to know the prices for culls?

  5. #5
    Code4's Avatar
    Code4 is offline AH Enthusiast
    Feb 2009

    Member of SSAA

    Hunted Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.

    Code4 has no Articles
    View Code4's Photos


    Very, very good open, detailed and honest report Rick Teal.

    Cull hunts are great value for money and a great way to learn about the animals you are hunting and how to hunt them In Africa. I've always had a few cull animals on my hunts. Without the pressure of finding trophys to keep the client happy, I find everyone is far more relaxed. Hunting like the locals is in my experience far more genuine.

    That Kudu certainly is heavy. I think we can all remember our first Kudu. The Impala is sooo long in the horns and the photo of you and the Springbok (the quintessential South African animal) is worth enlarging and framing.

    In fact you experienced it all in one hunt ! A dream come true, lost game, tough game, less than perfect shots and great shots.

    I salute you sir, well done.
    Time spent in Reconnaisance is never wasted.

  6. #6
    garyleach's Avatar
    garyleach is online now AH Veteran
    Jul 2011

    Member of Local clubs

    Hunted Canada and RSA

    garyleach has no Articles
    View garyleach's Photos


    Nicely done, some great memories/trophies, congrates!!!

  7. #7
    archer36 is offline AH Member
    Jun 2013
    archer36 has no Articles
    archer36 has no Photos


    Great hunt. These were culls? Sent you a PM.

  8. #8
    Rob44's Avatar
    Rob44 is online now BRONZE SUPPORTER
    Jan 2013

    Member of NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club

    Rob44 has no Articles
    Rob44 has no Photos


    Thanks for sharing your experience with us,,

  9. #9
    Adrian's Avatar
    Adrian is offline BRONZE SUPPORTER
    Jun 2013

    Hunted England


    A good, honest report of your trip Rick. The poor shots and misses are all part of the hunt and you can often learn more from them than the good ones.
    Best Regards,

  10. #10
    Custom's Avatar
    Custom is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Oct 2012

    Member of NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever

    Hunted US (Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana), RSA

    Custom has no Articles
    Custom has no Photos


    Great report, Rick. I took my first safari in May. What an experience. Great looking Kudu and awesome Impala!
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I was not happy"...Ernest Hemingway

  11. #11
    Nyati's Avatar
    Nyati is online now AH Legend
    Jan 2011

    Member of RFEC, RFETO

    Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain

    Nyati has no Articles
    View Nyati's Photos


    Congrats for your "hunt of a lifetime". Nice trophies !

    Thanks for sharing.

  12. #12
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Dec 2009

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos


    Thanks for the Great hunting report Rick, and the awesome Pictures love that Impala.
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  13. #13's Avatar is online now Jerome Philippe, Founder of
    Oct 2007

    Member of

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, France, Spain, USA


    Thankyou Rick for sharing your time in Africa with us, great hunt report and pictures!

    Jerome Philippe, Founder of
    Visited by over 240,000 hunters monthly, viewing 2.5 million pages, generating 14.5 million hits over 11,000 members (statistics Jan 2014).

    Click HERE to Support AH

    If you enjoy this site then tell fellow hunters about it!

    Our community is a place for seasoned African hunters and those who dream of someday hunting in Africa. I hope that you will find a great place to spend time preparing for or dreaming about your future African hunting safari or reliving your last.

  14. #14
    Rick Teal is offline New Member
    Jun 2013

    Member of B&C Measurer, SCI, OFAH, FROW, Grenville Fish and Game Club

    Hunted RSA

    Rick Teal has no Articles
    Rick Teal has no Photos


    I`ve been reading reports that others have posted of their hunts, and the reports are prefaced with - among other things - a listing of the other animals they saw on their hunts. This seems like a cool idea, so here goes:

    Baboon, Monkey, White Blesbuck, Buffalo, Grey Duiker, Eland, Giraffe, Jackal, Lions, Ostrich, Rhino, Roan, Black Springbuck, Warthog, Waterbuck, Zebra (probably both sub-species), Aardvark, Tortoise, merecat (I believe it was called), and an animal that looked a bit like a coyote.

    The lions weren`t free ranging, but were kept in several paddocks with one male in each to keep them from possibly killing each other - about ten paddocks totalling around 100 acres. They fed the lions once a week - on saturday morning - and watching them feed has become quite an attraction for the locals.

    I saw several Waterbuck, and I must say they are a much more impressive an animal than they appear to be on television or in pictures. If i get to go back, one of them will be on my hit list.

  15. #15
    tarbe's Avatar
    tarbe is offline BRONZE SUPPORTER
    Jan 2014
    tarbe has no Articles
    tarbe has no Photos


    Sir, you have my respect!

    Given those physical challenges you shared, it took a lot of fortitude and determination to undertake this hunt.

    You hung in there and got it done!

    Thanks for a great report and nice pictures.


  16. #16
    RickP is offline AH Senior Member
    Aug 2010

    Hunted South Africa

    RickP has no Articles
    View RickP's Photos


    Congrats on your kudu! Some are drawn toward the nyala as one of the prettiest spiral horned antelope but my favorite is the kudu.

    Even though you said your gemsbok wasn't large that you were going to get it mounted. All of them are trophies in my book and the experience adds to the memories every time you look at your mount.

    And that's one nice impala!

  17. #17
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    Aug 2010

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    BRICKBURN has no Articles
    View BRICKBURN's Photos


    See what you miss when you go hunting.

    Thanks for writing up your hunt report. i finally saw it after Rick posted.

    Congratulations on sticking with it and getting the job done, all the way around.
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  18. #18
    Nine.Three is offline New Member
    Dec 2013
    Nine.Three has no Articles
    Nine.Three has no Photos


    Rick thanks for sharing your experiences. As I a prepare for my own first African hunt, it gave me a lot of insight into what can be expected. Great Kudu!

Similar Threads

  1. ZIMBABWE: First African Hunt
    By JakeinTX in forum Hunting Reports & Reviews
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 05:09 AM
  2. First Archery African Hunt
    By PBPD83 in forum Bowhunting Africa
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM
  5. SOUTH AFRICA: My first African hunt
    By Mrbuck001 in forum Hunting Reports & Reviews
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts