Looking for a quality light gathering scope for .308 BLR
This is a discussion on Looking for a quality light gathering scope for .308 BLR within the Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics forums, part of the Hunting Equipment & Gear Forums - Hunting Equipment & Hunting Gear category; Your limiting factor here is going to be the rifle not the scope. From memory the BLR is also reasonably ...
12-09-2011, 09:31 PM #21
- Member of SSAA
- Hunted Australia, NZ, RSA, Zimbabwe
- Code4 has no Articles
- View Code4's Photos
Your limiting factor here is going to be the rifle not the scope. From memory the BLR is also reasonably thin and a larger scope will make the whole 'package' unbalanced. ie you will need to use wrist strength to keep the rifle upright as the weight of a larger scope will make it top heavy and that will affect trigger control and then potential accuracy. A properly balanced rifle is a joy to use, is easy to point naturally at the target and oftens feels lighter than it really is.
If you are useing a 3-9x40 and the rifle balances alright, then turn it down to 6x for max light transmission. If it is still no good then you need to upgrade to better qality lenses with excellent coatings.
IMO Leupold and the Zeiss Conquest scopes are middle entry scopes when it gets to optics. Depending on your budget start looking at (light) Kahles, Zeiss Duralyt, Schmidt and Bender, German Zeiss and Swaro glass. Look through them in darkness or into dark corners, not in a fully lit showroom. Even a Tasco will look good in the middle of the day.Time spent in Reconnaisance is never wasted.
12-11-2011, 02:03 AM #23
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
- Norwegianwoods has no Articles
- View Norwegianwoods's Photos
The Zeiss Conquest was put on the US market to compete with the Leupold.
They are very far from the quality of the German made Zeiss scopes and binoculars.
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM #24
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi) South Africa ( Limpopo, Kwazulu Natal, Northern Cape) Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia) USA (Montana, Washington, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Hawaii)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
12-27-2011, 11:43 AM #25
- Member of SA Hunters
- spekieries has no Articles
- spekieries has no Photos
01-05-2012, 06:30 AM #26
- Member of Wings hunting & shooting
- Shotgunspud has no Articles
- View Shotgunspud's Photos
By Heym 88 in forum .375 & UpReplies: 22Last Post: 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
By kalomin in forum Hunting Conventions, Shows & EventsReplies: 2Last Post: 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM
By username in forum .375 & UpReplies: 26Last Post: 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
By NAPHA in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 17Last Post: 12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
By Cleathorn in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 16Last Post: 10-16-2010, 03:13 PM