Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Question? Free range Eland hunts in South Africa

This is a discussion on Question? Free range Eland hunts in South Africa within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the HUNT AFRICA category; I've been doing a lot of research for my next Safari to RSA. I've talked to and emailed a lot ...

  1. #1
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,600

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default Question? Free range Eland hunts in South Africa

    I've been doing a lot of research for my next Safari to RSA. I've talked to and emailed a lot of PH's and Outfitters some with strong feelings towards canned hunts and that means anything behind a fence but what I can't seem to get is a straight answer to is free range Eland. Does anyone have any ideas if there is any outfits that still do free range Eland hunts in South Africa if they still do exist.
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  2. #2
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    360
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    There's a world of difference between a canned hunt and a plains game hunt on a fenced South african game farm.

    The former is where an animal such as a lion is captive bred, spends it's life in a pen and is then (usually) transported to a different area that he (or she) doesn't know at all, has no idea of escape routes and terrain etc and is then executed (it's not hunting) a few hours or days later..... often whilst still under the influence of sedating drugs.

    The latter is where plains game animals spend their life on what is usually a big to huge area with a fence around the outside. They pretty much always know the terrain, the escape routes and predator dangers etc.

    As to are there any properly free range areas in RSA where eland can be hunted?........ very few is probably the best answer you could get but one of the guys that could probably find such an area for you is Jaco Human at Index.

    Your other option is to look outside SA and find a true wilderness area but that of course is going to put your prices up dramatically.

    If you want to go halfway between the two, you could opt for somewhere like Tuli Block Botswana where there are game fences but are usually what might be termed porous and is usually a wilder option than that of RSA but not as wild as a true wilderness area.

    You also have to bear in mind that despite it's size, an eland can jump like you wouldn't believe and can clear most game fences without any problems at all. - I've often seen them walk up to a 2 metre high fence, settle back on their haunches like a dog and then just sail over without any hassle.

    In other words, even in a fenced game farm, an eland can easily be a free range eland if it wants to be.

  3. #3
    1ObsessedHunter's Avatar
    1ObsessedHunter is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    180

    Member of NRA Life Member

    Hunted South Africa

    1ObsessedHunter has no Articles
    View 1ObsessedHunter's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakari View Post
    In other words, even in a fenced game farm, an eland can easily be a free range eland if it wants to be.
    I'm told Kudu can also effortlessly jump the fence.

  4. #4
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    360
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    Kudu are good jumpers but not in the same class as eland who are generally accepted to be the best of all of them.

  5. #5
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,285

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    BRICKBURN has no Articles
    View BRICKBURN's Photos

    Default

    Ngarangombe Conservancy = "Free Range" Eland (low fence)

    Unfortunately, this does not answer your question about RSA, as the Ngarangombe Conservancy is in Namibia.
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  6. #6
    Cliffy's Avatar
    Cliffy is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,067

    Hunted Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO

    Cliffy has no Articles
    View Cliffy's Photos

    Default

    With the game owned by the land owner in SA it does not do them any good to allow it to wander onto other peoples property- ergo the high fence. That being said I have hunted on one place 7 miles by 15 miles fenced perimeter that hunted as if it was open range. I have also hunted eland this year in the Kalihari of southern Namibia that is wide open range for 30 miles in any direction. That's as far as we went, could have been 100 miles for all I know.

  7. #7
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,600

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakari View Post
    There's a world of difference between a canned hunt and a plains game hunt on a fenced South african game farm.

    The former is where an animal such as a lion is captive bred, spends it's life in a pen and is then (usually) transported to a different area that he (or she) doesn't know at all, has no idea of escape routes and terrain etc and is then executed (it's not hunting) a few hours or days later..... often whilst still under the influence of sedating drugs.

    The latter is where plains game animals spend their life on what is usually a big to huge area with a fence around the outside. They pretty much always know the terrain, the escape routes and predator dangers etc.

    As to are there any properly free range areas in RSA where eland can be hunted?........ very few is probably the best answer you could get but one of the guys that could probably find such an area for you is Jaco Human at Index.

    Your other option is to look outside SA and find a true wilderness area but that of course is going to put your prices up dramatically.

    If you want to go halfway between the two, you could opt for somewhere like Tuli Block Botswana where there are game fences but are usually what might be termed porous and is usually a wilder option than that of RSA but not as wild as a true wilderness area.

    You also have to bear in mind that despite it's size, an eland can jump like you wouldn't believe and can clear most game fences without any problems at all. - I've often seen them walk up to a 2 metre high fence, settle back on their haunches like a dog and then just sail over without any hassle.

    In other words, even in a fenced game farm, an eland can easily be a free range eland if it wants to be.
    Thanks shakari I agree with your view on plains game animals I have hunted properties from 55000 to over 80,000 acres in size and there is nothing canned about it, and thanks for the link I will check them out. Bob
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  8. #8
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,600

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKBURN View Post
    Ngarangombe Conservancy = "Free Range" Eland (low fence)

    Unfortunately, this does not answer your question about RSA, as the Ngarangombe Conservancy is in Namibia.
    Thanks BRICKBURN Namibia is not out of the question I've been thinking of going there as well. Bob
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  9. #9
    richteb's Avatar
    richteb is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    333

    Member of SSAA,Military Pistol Club

    Hunted Australia,Zimbabwe

    Default

    Another option is just over the Limpopo river on the Zim side directly west from bietbridge. I hunted two properties that had no fences at all. We saw lots of Eland. One I remember was name Notting Hill and the other River Ranch. Not SA but close.

  10. #10
    sestoppelman's Avatar
    sestoppelman is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,200

    Member of NRA, NA Hunt Club

    Hunted Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa

    Default

    I spent 10 days on 25000 acres in 2011 hunting eland and never got a chance at one. I dont believe there were very many there in fact but we did see a herd of cows once and one or two bulls in high gear, gone. As stated above, canned and fenced are not the same at all, unless the area is very small.

  11. #11
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,600

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Thanks guys for the replies I'm not going to lock myself in to anything until after DSC in Jan. unless of course a deal comes along to good to resist this is whats on my list as of today, Eland, Bushbuck, Caracal and Common Duiker My wife will be going along as an observer and may take a few animals as well Impala, Steenbok, Springbuck and a female warthog because she thinks the males are to ugly all those warts on thier face. hehe
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  12. #12
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,196

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    enysse has no Articles
    View enysse's Photos

    Default

    Hunting eland on foot, has to be one of the harder hunts in Southern Africa. Great value for the dollar.

  13. #13
    VanderLaan is offline AH Senior Member
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70

    Member of SCI, Quail Forever, NAVHDA

    VanderLaan has no Articles
    VanderLaan has no Photos

    Default

    Sounds like you have the right attitude. I chased Eland in RSA for several days on a property that was close to 30 square miles enclosed by a game fence that was close to nine feet tall. Fence did not play one bit of a role in the hunt. Could have been free range for that matter, as the Eland were incredibly smart and all too elusive for my shooting skills.

    Saw a nice Kudu bull jump over a game fence along the edge of the highway on our way to Limpopo. I would guess the fence was close to eight feet tall. The Kudu cleared it with ease and my jaw about hit the dash of the Rover. PH made the same comment about Eland being almost twice as big and able to jump significantly better than a Kudu.

  14. #14
    Hartzview Hunting Safaris's Avatar
    Hartzview Hunting Safaris is offline AfricaHunting.com SPONSOR
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    510

    Member of SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA

    Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe

    Default

    Mr. Bob,

    Hope all is well with you my friend! We had a very busy season and are very blessed with all the good friends we made this year! I must have missed this thread as I could have helped with that eland! PhoenixPhil shot one in our new area earlier this year.... You would love it!

    Anyway just thought I would say hey quickly and also me and Monique's looking forward on seeing you guys in Dallas at the dinner!

    Best regards,

    Jacques
    Hartzview Hunting Safaris - South Africa
    Jacques Spamer - js@hvsafaris.com
    Website - www.hvsafaris.com
    Skype - jacques.spamer[/B][/I]


  15. #15
    Glferman's Avatar
    Glferman is offline New Member
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7

    Member of SCI, DSC, NRA

    Hunted US, Tanzania Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Mexico

    Glferman has no Articles
    Glferman has no Photos

    Default

    You can't go wrong hunting with Hartzview on their 70,000 acre property. I am booked with them next year in July for a trophy gemsbok on the same property. Fences will not be a factor.

  16. #16
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,600

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Jacques Thanks we're doing well Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the AH Dinner as well as thoughout the Convention. Bob
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  17. #17
    Hartzview Hunting Safaris's Avatar
    Hartzview Hunting Safaris is offline AfricaHunting.com SPONSOR
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    510

    Member of SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA

    Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobpuckett View Post
    Jacques Thanks we're doing well Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the AH Dinner as well as thoughout the Convention. Bob
    Great stuff Bob...... Hope they have enough cold for us! Oh almost forgot Monique will be joining so better I have water! ;-) lol

    Looking forward on hunting with you in July my friend, you will definitely enjoy the area and the monster trophies.... It is a different kind of hunting in the dunes!

    Best regards,

    Jacques
    Hartzview Hunting Safaris - South Africa
    Jacques Spamer - js@hvsafaris.com
    Website - www.hvsafaris.com
    Skype - jacques.spamer[/B][/I]


  18. #18
    billc's Avatar
    billc is offline AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    480

    Hunted united states canada mexico south africa

    billc has no Articles
    View billc's Photos

    Default

    hello jacques how far is this place from your main ranch area.Hope to see you in harrisburg at the show this year.

  19. #19
    PHOENIX PHIL's Avatar
    PHOENIX PHIL is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,869

    Member of SCI

    Hunted USA, S. Africa

    PHOENIX PHIL has no Articles
    View PHOENIX PHIL's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billc View Post
    hello jacques how far is this place from your main ranch area.Hope to see you in harrisburg at the show this year.
    billc, I was at the Kalahari concession this year. I don't know how many miles it is, but I do know it's a full day's drive. If you're looking to hunt this area in addition to the main ranch near Kimberly I would recommend hunting it either at the beginning or the end of your hunt.

    The small city of Upington has an airport that you could either fly into at the beginning of your hunt or out of at the end. SAA has connections to/from Johannesburg. Upington is within a few hours of the Kalahari concession. I definitely want to get back there someday and this is what I would do.
    U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
    Email: philip.clayton@cox.net
    480-861-9232
    www.hvsafaris.com

  20. #20
    PHOENIX PHIL's Avatar
    PHOENIX PHIL is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,869

    Member of SCI

    Hunted USA, S. Africa

    PHOENIX PHIL has no Articles
    View PHOENIX PHIL's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glferman View Post
    You can't go wrong hunting with Hartzview on their 70,000 acre property. I am booked with them next year in July for a trophy gemsbok on the same property. Fences will not be a factor.
    I'd really encourage you to add at least springbuck to your list and hope that Ockert, one Jacques' PH's is also along. Ockert can prepare springbuck backstraps like nothing I've ever had game wise. Combine this with the bushman ashcakes and well.....my mouth waters just thinking about it.
    U.S. Contact for HartzView Safaris
    Email: philip.clayton@cox.net
    480-861-9232
    www.hvsafaris.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FREE RANGE NYALA HUNTING
    By Lakesafaris in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts Worldwide
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM
  2. Free Range Aoudad Hunt
    By TOM in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts Worldwide
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
  3. Free Range Bison hunting anyone do it?
    By davidt in forum Hunting North America
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM
  4. SOUTH AFRICA: Free Range Nyala Hunting - Lake Safaris - Durban South Africa
    By James.Grage in forum Hunting Reports & Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
  5. Free Range in South Africa?
    By waddyhead in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts Worldwide
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 12:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •