Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 134

Is it taboo to hunt White Lion

This is a discussion on Is it taboo to hunt White Lion within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the HUNT AFRICA category; dont worry i know about the attitude of the locals. the book was good with plenty use of common sense ...

  1. #41
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,568

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    dont worry i know about the attitude of the locals. the book was good with plenty use of common sense . where are you based now when you are not in africa?

  2. #42
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    364
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    We emigrated to central Portugal last year...... We miss Africa & our friends there but we have more permanency here & no-one shoots at us so I reckon it was a good move for us.

  3. #43
    Red Leg's Avatar
    Red Leg is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    501

    Member of SCI NRA DSC life memberships

    Hunted Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada

    Default

    Having also reached the age where old and cranky is an all too apt description, I can empathize. I don't envy you and your bide having to make that sort of choice and move at this point in your lives. We were transitioning Johannesburg last summer and had the misfortune to have booked a room in the City Lodge. Whatever the youth organization of the ANC is called happened to be holding a conference in the hotel at the same time - all black berets, marxist slogans, and dirty looks. Simply delightful. Just as we were leaving the front desk to walk back to the airport and our gate, Julius Malema and entourage blew through the door virtually running us over and leaving us pinned to the wall by his security thugs while he harrangued some of the adoring twenty somethings. (As I think about it, I guess I was technically armed to the teeth). We eventually made our flight and I was able to read a transcript of his formall address a couple of days later Omaruru, Namibia where he seemed to be calling for the "Zimbabweazation" of the RSA. I really fear that the country is on the path to being just another failed African State.

    You have my very sincerest best wishes that your new expatriate life is everything and more that you hoped it would be. You have at least picked a beautiful corner of the world. Stock up on some of those wonderful Ports, pick up a half dozen or so of Bernard Cornwell's novels about Richard Sharpe and the Penninsula Campaign, and keep writing! I deeply appreciate your work, and I am sure that is true of the others on this forum.
    "We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
    night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill

  4. #44
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    364
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    Redleg

    Thanks for those kind words.

    Sadly RSA is already going that way...... The sugar farms (for example) along the Mozambique border have all been handed over and what used to provide immense wealth and numerous jobs is now nothing more than a desert. Working pumps and irrigation systems have been torn up and sold as scrap, houses & outbuildings etc burned and nothing at all left is except an ocasional mud hut and beggars beside the road waiting for the white man to come along and give them something more for mahala. (free)

    As for Malema, I'm sure that one day that mad bastard will be President and when he is, I have no doubt he'll make Mad Bob Mugabe look like a saint....... nor do I have any doubt the west won't do anything meaningful about the situation except give him umpteen millions to tuck away in his Swiss bank account.

    Life here is good and the locals although relatively poor are very welcoming and generous. I've done a deal with a little old lady here where she looks after my grapevines in exchange for keeping the grapes to make wine with....... I told her all I wanted was an occasional bottle of vino just so I knew what my Casa Numzaan wine was like..... since then, she's been bringing me 5 litre bottles of it faster than I can drink the stuff....... and I've gotta say, it's a heck of a lot nicer than I ever expected....... others also regularly arrive with things like home grown veggies. Last week, my neighbour gave me 14 cucumbers and quite what I do with that little lot, I don't know.

    In exchange, I'm told I can expect 350 - 500 kgs of kiwi fruit and also no end of other fruit from my place here so I'll be giving them away as quick as I can before I get buried in the stuff! LOL.

    I guess we're very lucky in that we can run our business from anywhere in the world nowadays and I have to say, the weather here is the dog's doo dahs so we've landed on our feet.

    Oh and the hunting here is also very good. I've been advising a company here on how to market their products to overseas hunters and what they have is very good. I went up their areas near Castelo Branco (near the Spanish border) last week and saw more wild red and fallow deer, wild boar and partridges than I've seen in my life and their prices are a heck of a lot cheaper than other European countries.

  5. #45
    James.Grage's Avatar
    James.Grage is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,258

    Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF

    Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa

    James.Grage has no Articles
    View James.Grage's Photos

    Default

    Shakari

    Sounds like a very nice place you have landed.

    Having hunted near Mozambique boarder i have seen first hand the decimation to the country side. Who ever gave the goats to these people should be shot. Saw 100,000 acres ranch with not a blade of grass and very few trees remaining. Families walking miles for fire wood. The fences being cut to put snares out. great packs of grey hounds to run game animals to death...

    standing by the road looking for a hand out and anything you will give them. Building burned from taken over ranches/farms...when you tell people about this, they do not believe you...

    South Africa political make up is a dangerous thing and it is going down hill quickly....the few farmers i met had to employee so many blacks and provide lodging and a monthly food allowance...while in the states you could get by with 1 or 2 hired hands in the area i saw they sent work groups...

    You have to see it to believe it...the media will not report it.
    James Grage - New Mexico
    Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
    "Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne

  6. #46
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    364
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    James,

    You're dead right there..... especially about the goats! LOL

    Other parts of Africa are also going the same way...... When I first hunted Mto Wa Mbu in Masailand Tanzania, it was an absolute paradise and one could see why people such as Ruark etc were so enthused about the place.

    When I last hunted it, large part of the area was a complete desert & one could drive for miles on end without seeing so much as a blade of grass let alone a tree & I can't tell you how sad that makes me.

    I have no doubt that in a few years time, the do gooder charities will be rattling tins in people's faces asking them to feed the poor of Masailand & the first to do that to me will find his collection tin shoved right up his arse.

  7. #47
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,568

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leg View Post
    Having also reached the age where old and cranky is an all too apt description, I can empathize. I don't envy you and your bide having to make that sort of choice and move at this point in your lives. We were transitioning Johannesburg last summer and had the misfortune to have booked a room in the City Lodge. Whatever the youth organization of the ANC is called happened to be holding a conference in the hotel at the same time - all black berets, marxist slogans, and dirty looks. Simply delightful. Just as we were leaving the front desk to walk back to the airport and our gate, Julius Malema and entourage blew through the door virtually running us over and leaving us pinned to the wall by his security thugs while he harrangued some of the adoring twenty somethings. (As I think about it, I guess I was technically armed to the teeth). We eventually made our flight and I was able to read a transcript of his formall address a couple of days later Omaruru, Namibia where he seemed to be calling for the "Zimbabweazation" of the RSA. I really fear that the country is on the path to being just another failed African State.

    You have my very sincerest best wishes that your new expatriate life is everything and more that you hoped it would be. You have at least picked a beautiful corner of the world. Stock up on some of those wonderful Ports, pick up a half dozen or so of Bernard Cornwell's novels about Richard Sharpe and the Penninsula Campaign, and keep writing! I deeply appreciate your work, and I am sure that is true of the others on this forum.
    hey redleg we had a couple of weeks in zambia , just back friday. day we arrived there we headed into lusaka to pick up supplies before heading to the reserve the next day. where i have a place is out past the airport, and on the way in we had to pull over due to the fact there was a govnt convoy with motorcycle outriders weaving over the whole road , with the usual 2 or 3 s class mercs and troop carriers in escort.... guess who they were going to pick up.... uncle bob.. who mr president sata had invited to open the lusaka agricultural show...its how it works with these "politicians" , the majority who never got to the end of their school education. dont want to say too much , but a lot of people wish they hadnt voted the way they diid last year.. and zawa is fu..ing up the tenders for this year with the GMA hunting areas.

  8. #48
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,568

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    hey steve you should pop over to jersey and have a few beers/, wine,vodka...brandy..not far away . then we can really bitch about what these th..gs are doing to everything......

  9. #49
    Jaco Strauss's Avatar
    Jaco Strauss is online now AfricaHunting.com SPONSOR
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,657

    Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA

    Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania

    Jaco Strauss has no Articles
    View Jaco Strauss's Photos

    Default

    Negative, negative, negative and let see......... Negative!!!

    Next please!

    My very best always.
    Jaco Strauss
    Kwalata Wilderness safaris - South Africa/Mozambique
    Jaco@kwalata.com
    www.kwalata.com

  10. #50
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    364
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    Spike,

    Spike,

    Sounds good to me...... I'm going to have to get to the UK at some point anyway because having seen how good (and cheap!) the duck & partridge shooting is over here, I want to get myself a good gundog...... it'll probably have to wait until next year because I'm still busy here but it'd be fun to have another lab or GP puppy to train and then work again....... I could shoot over to Jersey on my way to look at puppies.

  11. #51
    DOC-404's Avatar
    DOC-404 is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.

    DOC-404 has no Articles
    View DOC-404's Photos

    Default

    ..anyone seen Rocco..?

  12. #52
    Norwegianwoods's Avatar
    Norwegianwoods is online now SILVER SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    991

    Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa

    Norwegianwoods has no Articles
    View Norwegianwoods's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DOCMAN View Post
    ..anyone seen Rocco..?
    Guess he ran away as fast as he could

    I couldn't care less if the lion was white, yellow, brown, blue or pink.
    A lion is a lion and if I wanted to hunt and shoot one, I wouldn't care about what taboos other people had regarding the color of the lion.

    I must also say that I totally agree with shakari regarding the lion "hunting" in SA.
    People should at least be honest about it and call it lion shooting and trophy collecting, not hunting.

  13. #53
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,568

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakari View Post
    Spike,

    Spike,

    Sounds good to me...... I'm going to have to get to the UK at some point anyway because having seen how good (and cheap!) the duck & partridge shooting is over here, I want to get myself a good gundog...... it'll probably have to wait until next year because I'm still busy here but it'd be fun to have another lab or GP puppy to train and then work again....... I could shoot over to Jersey on my way to look at puppies.
    sent you pm

  14. #54
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,568

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Strauss View Post
    Negative, negative, negative and let see......... Negative!!!

    Next please!

    My very best always.
    hey jaco is that negative to coming for a drink , or the lion thing?

  15. #55
    shakari's Avatar
    shakari is online now AH Enthusiast
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    364
    shakari has no Articles
    View shakari's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike.t View Post
    hey jaco is that negative to coming for a drink , or the lion thing?
    Damn but that just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!

  16. #56
    Bobpuckett's Avatar
    Bobpuckett is online now GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,600

    Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters

    Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada

    Bobpuckett has no Articles
    View Bobpuckett's Photos

    Default

    Rocco as promised I emailed my Friend in South Africa and below is a copy of his email. Bob


    Hey Bobby!!

    No I dont know of any superstitions! Just as long as he know its a fenced lion! even if its in a 5000acre pin! I did that lion earlier this year and didnt like it at all It was in a 10000acre pin but at the end of the day the lion is goin to get killed and hear this the drop off time to the time a client pulls the trigger is 96hours ( thats the "LEGAL" time according to Nature Concervation) And that is just rediculous! I absolutely hate it and PHASA (professional hunting assosiation of SA ) feels the same way! Bobby this is how I feel! Sadly its all about money now a days and hunting it is not important you can even go on a website and PICK the lion you want to shoot like a bloody shopping list! I have hunted wild lions in Mozambique and I know the work it involves to get those cat to eat your baits and it may take 10days just to see one!! The place I went to this year shot 5 in 5days!!!!!!! come on dont the people see what goin on?? So please just tell the guy who's shooting the white lion he must watch out that lion is goin to be hungry and grumpy because of the headache from the dart 96hour ago! hahah
    Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.

  17. #57
    Jaco Strauss's Avatar
    Jaco Strauss is online now AfricaHunting.com SPONSOR
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,657

    Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA

    Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania

    Jaco Strauss has no Articles
    View Jaco Strauss's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike.t View Post
    hey jaco is that negative to coming for a drink , or the lion thing?
    the lion hunting thing.... The drink sounds awesome!!!!

    My best always!
    Jaco Strauss
    Kwalata Wilderness safaris - South Africa/Mozambique
    Jaco@kwalata.com
    www.kwalata.com

  18. #58
    DOC-404's Avatar
    DOC-404 is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Hunted South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.

    DOC-404 has no Articles
    View DOC-404's Photos

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobpuckett View Post
    No I dont know of any superstitions! Just as long as he know its a fenced lion! even if its in a 5000acre pin! I did that lion earlier this year and didnt like it at all It was in a 10000acre pin but at the end of the day the lion is goin to get killed and hear this the drop off time to the time a client pulls the trigger is 96hours ( thats the "LEGAL" time according to Nature Concervation) And that is just rediculous! I absolutely hate it and PHASA (professional hunting assosiation of SA ) feels the same way! Bobby this is how I feel! Sadly its all about money now a days and hunting it is not important you can even go on a website and PICK the lion you want to shoot like a bloody shopping list! I have hunted wild lions in Mozambique and I know the work it involves to get those cat to eat your baits and it may take 10days just to see one!! The place I went to this year shot 5 in 5days!!!!!!! come on dont the people see what goin on?? So please just tell the guy who's shooting the white lion he must watch out that lion is goin to be hungry and grumpy because of the headache from the dart 96hour ago! hahah
    ..well, there you go, it doesn't get much more 'real' than that..

  19. #59
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is offline AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,309

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Diamondhitch has no Articles
    View Diamondhitch's Photos

    Default

    I am not going to argue either way on this but I did want to adress the Taboo of hunting White lion question.

    Rocco got slammed from certain individuals on this as if it was a stupid question. In the North American native culture white animals are considered sacred, Bison has been mentioned and the hunting of white bears has been outlawed in BC due to native beleifs. The question itself is quite a valid one. people who have not lived in Africa or visited extensively do not know that the natives care more about reality shows than their native culture, they do not know how little of their traditional ways are left. People post questions on this site because they have more interest than knowledge and those who have been there should realize that.

    It has been joked "where did Rocco go?" I personally dont think that is much of a joke.
    The journey is the reward.

  20. #60
    spike.t's Avatar
    spike.t is online now AH Legend
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,568

    Member of sci int, basc

    Hunted zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Strauss View Post
    the lion hunting thing.... The drink sounds awesome!!!!

    My best always!
    jaco you nearly had me worried your welcome to pull in anytime , if you ever get near this neck of the woods.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SOUTH AFRICA: White Lion Safari's, My 8th African Safari, My White Lion
    By The Artistry of Wildlife in forum Hunting Reports & Reviews
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 11:27 PM
  2. Is it taboo to hunt white Elephant
    By Biddleman in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
  3. Last Minute WHITE MALE LION HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By CheetauSafaris in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts Worldwide
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
  4. white lion photo's
    By observe in forum Humorous Jokes, Stories or Pictures
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 07:03 AM
  5. RARE WHITE LION HUNT
    By eai outdoors in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts Worldwide
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •