Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Botswana??

This is a discussion on Botswana?? within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the HUNT AFRICA category; Well I'll be darned. You guys were spot on. When I joined AH I thought my dreams of going to ...

  1. #1
    Linus Mcgee is offline AH Member
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    Member of Piedra Bowhunters

    Linus Mcgee has no Photos

    Default Botswana??

    Well I'll be darned. You guys were spot on. When I joined AH I thought my dreams of going to Africa on safari would always just be a dream. But, it looks like I just might be going on safari in August of 2013. It will be my son and I and we are looking at the Northwest part of Bostwana.
    What do ya think? Would that be the contry that you would pick for your first time? I have looked at pictures, read about the area and talked to Tom about the area and it sounds like South Texas. Flat and bushy.
    I do have this mental and emotional preception of Africa and I'm really worried that I will disapoint myself.
    What say You?

  2. #2
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    295

    Member of SCI, RMEF

    Hunted Limpopo, Eastern Cape,Natal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Mcgee View Post
    I do have this mental and emotional preception of Africa and I'm really worried that I will disapoint myself.
    What say You?
    You won't be disapointed at all, the only problem is getting the African bug, and will be dreaming of how to get back to her on your flight home. Congrats on your future trip! Who are you going with and for which trophies?
    Brian
    Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
    www.blueskieshunting.com

  3. #3
    Linus Mcgee is offline AH Member
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    Member of Piedra Bowhunters

    Linus Mcgee has no Photos

    Default

    I'm talking with Tom and Kanana Safari's. Hopeful trophies are: eland, kudu, gemsbok, w hog, impala, waterbuck, zebra and blue wildebeast.

  4. #4
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,320

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Mcgee View Post
    .................
    I do have this mental and emotional preception of Africa and I'm really worried that I will disapoint myself.
    What say You?

    Linus, What is the perception you have of Africa? Livingstone and Selous running around? Jungle?
    Give me a picture and I'll tell you if it is in line with my own conclusion about your proposed destination.

    Botswana requires a plane transfer and perhaps a bit more time to arrive.
    You can not fly straight to Botswana from USA, etc.
    You will need an RSA transit permit if going through RSA.

    Botswana is a safe place. relatively wealthy and stable, (unless you are a San in the Kalahari Game Reserve)

    The industry is just starting out really. Big game has been hunted forever. Plains Game is growing.
    There is no professional hunter association in Botswana. (It will come one day) Game Growers association.
    There is a fee/tax on ammunition coming in.

    If you are thinking you will be running around with Elephant, Hippo, Lion and Rhino, Crocs in the same bush you will be disappointed on many reserves. Kanana has W Rhino.
    There are Cheetah and Leopard running around.
    Chances of seeing them are a little slim compared to feeding time in a park.
    If you want to see the rest there is always the Okavango or Chobe 4 or 6 hours up the road. Since you allude to budget the Okavango might be a little pricy for you though, but the big stuff is there.

    Texas scrub might be a good way to describe it.
    You can get a pretty close look on Google earth.
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  5. #5
    James.Grage's Avatar
    James.Grage is offline GOLD SUPPORTER
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,257

    Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF

    Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa

    Default

    Botswana is a good place to go on safari...

    with the changes in the country just check to see if you are still on for your area...

    ask for some references to check and do your follow up..
    James Grage - New Mexico
    Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
    "Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne

  6. #6
    TOM's Avatar
    TOM
    TOM is online now AH Elite
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,597

    Member of SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU

    Hunted Africa...are there other continents to hunt?

    Default

    I hunted Botswana in 2007 and hope to again later this year and next. The country is very stable and comfortable. Safari hunting has been going on in the country for numerous years with the "claim to fame" being big maned lions (when open) and big tusked elephants. The Tuli block area is home to numerous large ranches and has been a plains game area for some time. The rest of the plains game safari industry is really starting to get moving. The experience in Botswana in the area you are considering will be large tracts of land that is fairly flat with mixed scrub. It will be much more of a wild and "in the middle of nowhere" feel than some other plains game hunting options available to you. I think you would love it.



    Botswana Wildlife Management Association - Rules & Regulations
    Botswana Wildlife management association

    And there is a professional hunters associate. Mr. Graeme Pollock (sp) was the most recent president.
    Tom

  7. #7
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is offline AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Botswana is looking more and more like a "do it while you can" country. I think going next year is a good idea, a few years from now you may not be able to. Good luck.
    The journey is the reward.

  8. #8
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,320

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    Default

    James and Diamond are giving you a warning about changes in BIG GAME hunting on PUBLIC land.
    This hunting is in flux and about to change drastically in many areas.

    Plains Game hunting on private land like Kanana will not be effected by these changes.


    Kanana is a member of the Botswana Wildlife Producers Association (BWPA). Not the BWMA.
    Botswana Wildlife Producers Association is an associate member of BWMA.

    Kanana is not a member of BWMA, nor are the lead PH's. (at this date)
    (Not that this matters to me in the least after all the research that I have done)


    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    ............

    Botswana Wildlife management association
    And there is a professional hunters associate. ...........
    With a total membership of 56 PH's and 11 Outfitters belonging for the entire country.
    No disrespect intended. My impression of the BWMA is that it is an association to which PH's may belong.
    They are not:
    South African Professional Hunters Association (PHASA)
    Namibian Professional Hunters Association (NAPHA)
    (although they are all voluntary memberships sadly)
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  9. #9
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is offline AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKBURN View Post
    James and Diamond are giving you a warning about changes in BIG GAME hunting on PUBLIC land.
    This hunting is in flux and about to change drastically in many areas.

    Plains Game hunting on private land like Kanana will not be effected by these changes.


    Kanana is a member of the Botswana Wildlife Producers Association (BWPA). Not the BWMA.
    Botswana Wildlife Producers Association is an associate member of BWMA.

    Kanana is not a member of BWMA, nor are the lead PH's. (at this date)
    (Not that this matters to me in the least after all the research that I have done)




    With a total membership of 56 PH's and 11 Outfitters belonging for the entire country.
    No disrespect intended. My impression of the BWMA is that it is an association to which PH's may belong.
    They are not:
    South African Professional Hunters Association (PHASA)
    Namibian Professional Hunters Association (NAPHA)
    (although they are all voluntary memberships sadly)
    As to what is happening currently that is correct. I just dont trust any country that closes down hunting on the scale that they just did not to continue in the future. I hope my pessimism is unfounded.
    The journey is the reward.

  10. #10
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,212

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    Default

    I think Kanana Safari's would be a terrific place to hunt Africa for a first time hunter. Heck, I would join you if things were going better in my life right now...

    Don't over think the decision. It's a great place to hunt...safe, lots of animals and very reasonable trophy fees.

  11. #11
    lwaters's Avatar
    lwaters is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    226

    Hunted Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enysse View Post
    I think Kanana Safari's would be a terrific place to hunt Africa for a first time hunter. Heck, I would join you if things were going better in my life right now...

    Don't over think the decision. It's a great place to hunt...safe, lots of animals and very reasonable trophy fees.
    Yes very reasonable trophy fees. I think a $1500 waterbuck is the cheapeat I have seen and would put it high on my list.

  12. #12
    TerryR is offline AH Veteran
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    112

    Member of SCI, DSC

    Default

    I have hunted Botswana 4 times, all 4 in the Okavango Delta, twice in ranches near Ghanzi, the area that you are considering. Botswana is safe, stable and friendly. It is an ideal place for a first timer, or old pro. I would suggest that you ask your outfitter to organize a 2 or 3 day stay in a photo camp in the delta. Simply put the delta is exquisite. As one of the AR frequenters puts it: "It's where God lives". The combination of the delta plus the kalahari will expose you to two extremes of African terrain and a plethora of Game including the big 5, although don't expect to see leopard, they are there but very wary. Unfortunately I have to go elsewhere for buffalo now that the delta is essentially closed, but I will definately return to Botswana for plains game, or if I hit the lottery, a big elephant.

  13. #13
    Linus Mcgee is offline AH Member
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    Member of Piedra Bowhunters

    Linus Mcgee has no Photos

    Default

    thanks Brickburn for the description.
    I have also sent you a PM.



    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKBURN View Post
    Linus, What is the perception you have of Africa? Livingstone and Selous running around? Jungle?
    Give me a picture and I'll tell you if it is in line with my own conclusion about your proposed destination.

    Botswana requires a plane transfer and perhaps a bit more time to arrive.
    You can not fly straight to Botswana from USA, etc.
    You will need an RSA transit permit if going through RSA.

    Botswana is a safe place. relatively wealthy and stable, (unless you are a San in the Kalahari Game Reserve)

    The industry is just starting out really. Big game has been hunted forever. Plains Game is growing.
    There is no professional hunter association in Botswana. (It will come one day) Game Growers association.
    There is a fee/tax on ammunition coming in.

    If you are thinking you will be running around with Elephant, Hippo, Lion and Rhino, Crocs in the same bush you will be disappointed on many reserves. Kanana has W Rhino.
    There are Cheetah and Leopard running around.
    Chances of seeing them are a little slim compared to feeding time in a park.
    If you want to see the rest there is always the Okavango or Chobe 4 or 6 hours up the road. Since you allude to budget the Okavango might be a little pricy for you though, but the big stuff is there.

    Texas scrub might be a good way to describe it.
    You can get a pretty close look on Google earth.

  14. #14
    Linus Mcgee is offline AH Member
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    Member of Piedra Bowhunters

    Linus Mcgee has no Photos

    Default

    Thanks enysse, My hunting partner backed out on me last night. He is my best buddy in the world and I will really miss him on this trip. But, I have got to say that I am proud of him for telling his ole dad that maybe at 20 years of age it might be to expensive for him at this stage in his life.
    So I am open to having company.


    Quote Originally Posted by enysse View Post
    I think Kanana Safari's would be a terrific place to hunt Africa for a first time hunter. Heck, I would join you if things were going better in my life right now...

    Don't over think the decision. It's a great place to hunt...safe, lots of animals and very reasonable trophy fees.

  15. #15
    Linus Mcgee is offline AH Member
    Joined
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18

    Member of Piedra Bowhunters

    Linus Mcgee has no Photos

    Default

    Thanks TerryR,
    I was considering taking an extra couple of days and doing the photo trip. I do believe you just convinced me to do just that.


    Quote Originally Posted by TerryR View Post
    I have hunted Botswana 4 times, all 4 in the Okavango Delta, twice in ranches near Ghanzi, the area that you are considering. Botswana is safe, stable and friendly. It is an ideal place for a first timer, or old pro. I would suggest that you ask your outfitter to organize a 2 or 3 day stay in a photo camp in the delta. Simply put the delta is exquisite. As one of the AR frequenters puts it: "It's where God lives". The combination of the delta plus the kalahari will expose you to two extremes of African terrain and a plethora of Game including the big 5, although don't expect to see leopard, they are there but very wary. Unfortunately I have to go elsewhere for buffalo now that the delta is essentially closed, but I will definately return to Botswana for plains game, or if I hit the lottery, a big elephant.

  16. #16
    Cliffy is offline Banned
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,067

    Hunted Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO

    Default

    I have not hunted Botswana but i have hunted Zim, SA and Namibia on 5 hunts. Like was said, don't over think it. You will have more fun than you even imagine. The first safari will be Afica Overload with all you will see and hear. The flora, the fauna, the sounds (the sounds are something you will long for until you return and return you will! Be prepared financially to shoot more than you palnned. I went the first time for 8 and came home with 13. Africa will get in your blood no matter where you hunt the first time. Just do it!
    IF YOU GO ONCE-YOU WILL GO AGAIN-DEAL WITH IT!

  17. #17
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is offline AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Be prepared financially to shoot more than you planned. I went the first time for 8 and came home with 13.
    I have devised a clever way to avoid this. I just plan on shooting everything before I leave! LOL
    The journey is the reward.

  18. #18
    BRICKBURN's Avatar
    BRICKBURN is online now SUPER MODERATOR
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,320

    Member of KZN Hunters Assoc

    Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozondjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    ................. The first safari will be Afica Overload with all you will see and hear. The flora, the fauna, the sounds (the sounds are something you will long for until you return and return you will! ..............
    So right Cliffy......I have a sound recording I made at a waterhole with my Blackberry.
    I listen to it often and it takes me right back to that seat that evening watching the sun go down and everything heading for bed.
    Next trip I am taking better sound equipment.
    Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
    A Legend in my own mind!

  19. #19
    enysse's Avatar
    enysse is online now AH Ambassador
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,212

    Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF

    Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondhitch View Post
    I have devised a clever way to avoid this. I just plan on shooting everything before I leave! LOL
    HOLY COW! That's the way I think, CONTROL FORGET ABOUT IT!

  20. #20
    Diamondhitch's Avatar
    Diamondhitch is offline AH Legend
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,310

    Member of SCI

    Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan

    Default

    Control, we dont need no stinking control! OK maybe just a bit of control, it would take a loooong time to work off cost over runs at a skinners wage!!!
    The journey is the reward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Zambia seems to be following Botswana
    By Hotfire Hunting Safaris in forum News & Announcements
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM
  2. Invest in Botswana
    By Hein Otto in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 02:32 PM
  3. Greetings from Botswana!
    By Kanana Safaris in forum Introductions & Greets
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 05:41 AM
  4. Botswana Question
    By thecreepingwolf in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
  5. Jagd Botswana
    By AfricaHunting.com in forum Hunting Africa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •