Going for buffalo
This is a discussion on Going for buffalo within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; Am heading to SA for buffalo & plains game on the 18th with 2 friends , woodleigh wld core & ...
07-06-2012, 06:23 AM #1
Going for buffalo
Am heading to SA for buffalo & plains game on the 18th with 2 friends , woodleigh wld core & hydro both in 300 (375 ruger).
Both shooting into 2" which is good enough for me.
The hydrostatics have had good results by most accounts on the water buff down here......anyone used them on the cape buff & what results?
07-06-2012, 08:34 AM #2
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
07-06-2012, 08:44 AM #3
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
Looking forward to your report and pictures. Who are you hunting with?Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
07-06-2012, 08:52 AM #4
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozandjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
No news for you on the bullets.
Good luck.Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
07-06-2012, 09:34 AM #5
- Member of KZN Hunting & Conservation, CHASA, NRA
- Hunted USA,Zim,RSA,Russia,Moz
- saeng101 has no Articles
- View saeng101's Photos
The guys that I know that use the Woodleighs are happy with them.
07-06-2012, 10:18 AM #6
- Member of SCI
- Hunted Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape)
- Diamondhitch has no Articles
- View Diamondhitch's Photos
Good luck. 2" is a pretty small group on the side of a Buffalo.The journey is the reward.
07-06-2012, 11:58 AM #7
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Wish you the best of luck !
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM #8
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
Have a good time!
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM #9
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
When you take into account that your target should be about 3 to 4 inches.
you should be good to go.
Reports on the woodleigh's are very good from reports i have read.
Take some pictures and post a day by day safari count for all to read with pictures to back up your trophies....James Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
07-06-2012, 06:57 PM #10
07-07-2012, 05:14 AM #11
Good luck on your buff hunt. I can assure you that the Woodleigh hydro stats work very well. If you pm me your email address I can email you pics of one that we recovered from a buff. It entered below the boss and recovered from the back leg just below the base of the tail.
Only issue that I have seen is that there can be feed issues. I also know that the new version has some sort of composite tip that is supposed to correct this issue.
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM #12
07-13-2012, 10:22 PM #13
- Member of NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
- Hunted Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, Louisiana
- Upton O. Good has no Articles
- View Upton O. Good's Photos
Here's an idea, put paper plates up at 50 yards, 75 yards, and 100 yards and see if you can hit them, off of the sticks, every time. You might also use Cape buffalo photographic targets (I get mine from Safari Press) and put them up at 50 yards. The rifle sounds like it is ready to go, the pie plates and photo targets will show if you are.
Looking forward to your report, I hope you drill a big'n.
07-14-2012, 05:58 AM #14
Have a great hunt! I haven't used the woodleigh on buff, but Superior loads the woodleigh 250 for my .318 Westley and it is decisive on everything I have pointed it at. I am sure a 300 in your Ruger will be superb."We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
07-14-2012, 06:44 AM #15
07-14-2012, 07:34 AM #16
- Member of NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
- Hunted South Africa, Germany, USA
"Ignorance is curable, stupid is forever."
- RickB has no Articles
- View RickB's Photos
07-15-2012, 06:55 AM #17
07-15-2012, 07:09 AM #18
By capehuntsafaris in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 1Last Post: 09-19-2012, 12:18 AM
By GUBU SAFARIS in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 0Last Post: 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM
By PaulT in forum Hunts OFFERED or WANTED WorldwideReplies: 0Last Post: 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM