This is a discussion on Eland Hunt within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; After five years I finally got my eland trophy. My friend and I with the wife and kids left for ...
05-21-2012, 12:15 AM #1
After five years I finally got my eland trophy.
My friend and I with the wife and kids left for omaruru on Wednesday after work. The outfitter we were going to has two farms. The one where the lodge is is more for bow hunting and the other farm 50km away is rifle hunting.
We left the lodge at 6am the Thursday and arrived at the other farm just before 7am. Twenty minutes later we spotted the first group of eland. We stalked closer only to find it was a bunch of cows and young ones. We saw a lot of other game. Just after 8am we spotted a big batcher group of eland. They were grazing about 700m away. The wind was perfect for the stalk. We were 150m away when we saw the movement in the thick bush. Our guide spotted the big bull right in front of us. The bush was too thick to get a shot. We went down on our hands and knees. My .375 do not have a sling attached to it, this made it a bit more difficult. At 40m we spotted a small opening through the bush and I could see a part of the shoulder. I took the shot. Suddenly there were eland all around us. My bull came running past me and dropped 30m further. We walked closer and it got up again, walking away slowly. He was standing 30m away and I took a quartering away shot. The bull went down 5m further
and stayed down. When I saw this old bull lying there I could not believe that after five years of searching for an eland trophy everything happened just as I hoped.
I am leaving for South African on the 8th of July, for a bush buck and nyala hunt. Maybe this is my lucky year.
05-21-2012, 04:40 AM #2
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
Congrats spies, long time to anticipate the events, sounds like it worked out for you though. Again congrats, posts some pics."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche
05-21-2012, 06:05 AM #3
05-21-2012, 08:44 AM #4
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi) South Africa ( Limpopo, Kwazulu Natal, Northern Cape) Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia) USA (Montana, Washington, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Hawaii)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Congratulations, that is an Eland worth waiting for.
Good luck on the Nyala hunt!Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
05-21-2012, 09:20 AM #5
- Hunted Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
- Cliffy has no Articles
- View Cliffy's Photos
Spies- you're making me sick Everyone gets to go again but me ----- but then again I just got back a month ago. NICE eland!
05-21-2012, 09:33 AM #6
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Nice trophy Spies, congratulations !
05-21-2012, 10:36 AM #7
- Member of NRA, SCI, NAHC, RMEF, NBU, WSF
- Hunted Namibia, RSA
- Nevada Wapati has no Articles
- View Nevada Wapati's Photos
That is a great bull. Congratulations.
05-21-2012, 11:49 AM #8
- Member of SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
- Wolverine67 has no Articles
- View Wolverine67's Photos
congrats on a fine old bull!The best hunt are the one in your dreams, the next best are the one in your memories.
It was worth the wait spies. Happy for you.When I am not hunting, I am thinking about hunting....I think I'll go hunting.
05-21-2012, 12:48 PM #10
- Member of Member SCI, QDMA
- Baydog has no Articles
- Baydog has no Photos
Great Bull! Congrats.
05-22-2012, 02:01 AM #11
- Hunted Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa
- Norwegianwoods has no Articles
- View Norwegianwoods's Photos
05-22-2012, 06:50 AM #12
Thanks for the comments guys. I just dropped it at the taxidermy.
05-22-2012, 11:28 AM #13
Congrats..... It's a beautiful trophy. You can be very proud.
05-22-2012, 10:47 PM #14
- Hunted Namibia
- catosilvaje has no Articles
- catosilvaje has no Photos
By CAWA in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 12Last Post: 01-13-2012, 07:41 AM
By Bigkudu in forum Hunts OFFERED or WANTED WorldwideReplies: 20Last Post: 10-22-2011, 11:56 AM
By Hunters Namibia Safaris in forum Hunts OFFERED or WANTED WorldwideReplies: 2Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM
By Bigkudu in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 12Last Post: 08-06-2011, 09:35 AM
By christophe morio in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 5Last Post: 12-23-2009, 11:41 AM