Blue Wildebeest Slaughtered Weight
This is a discussion on Blue Wildebeest Slaughtered Weight within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As ...
05-16-2011, 08:22 AM #1
- NicoS has no Articles
- NicoS has no Photos
Blue Wildebeest Slaughtered Weight
Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?
05-16-2011, 09:48 AM #2
- Member of Cape Hunt.
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia
- CapeHunter has no Articles
- CapeHunter has no Photos
Last week on a different forum, one of the hunters just completed a hunt where 3 bulls were hunted. Slaughtered weights were 154, 162 and 176, but on average he reckons between 145 and 155. With the good rains I think some big bodied, heavy bulls will be taken this season.
05-16-2011, 09:50 AM #3
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
The average live weight is 168 kg. to 274 kg.
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM #4
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
James Grage - New Mexico
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM #5
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozandjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58% for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.
Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.
06-19-2013, 11:38 AM #6
- Member of NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
- Hunted UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland
Member of NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)
- Odinsraven has no Articles
- Odinsraven has no Photos
Hunted UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland
Owner of www.Ammobroom.com
06-19-2013, 08:08 PM #7
- Member of NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
- Hunted USA, South Africa, France
- 35bore has no Articles
- View 35bore's Photos
I guess I look at it differently, Capehunter has harvested quite a few Blue wildebeest that would make most of us drool. Big bodies and awesome horns, I love the pictures he has. I think you have been blessed to have this (Biltong hunting) as a career. Good luck to you, and in my opinion regardless of weight/average weight, a wildebeest on the ground is as good as gold, brother."That which does not kill us makes us stronger" Friedrich Nietzsche
By Oliver.Wettstein in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 12Last Post: 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
By copperhead in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 24Last Post: 12-01-2011, 06:46 AM
By NicoS in forum Firearms & Ammunition GeneralReplies: 18Last Post: 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
By Gerhard in forum Bowhunting AfricaReplies: 6Last Post: 11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Hunting Video Clips Watch InstantlyReplies: 0Last Post: 02-16-2009, 10:15 PM