8 days away!!
This is a discussion on 8 days away!! within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; Leaving for my first African safari in 8 days! Going to the Eastern Cape and hunting kudu, gemsbok, impala, warthog, ...
8 days away!!
Leaving for my first African safari in 8 days! Going to the Eastern Cape and hunting kudu, gemsbok, impala, warthog, blesbok, wildebeest, springbuck and steenbuck....plus anything else my pocket can stand. Carrying my 10 yr old son for an 11 day hunt. Any last minute advice from the old pros???
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM #2
- Member of PHASA
- Hunted Sweden, USA, Brazil, Mexico.,
- hunting has no Articles
- View hunting's Photos
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM #3
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi, Ozandjache) South Africa ( LP, KZN, NC, EC) Botswana (Ghanzi) Canada (BC, AB, SK, MB, Ont, PQ, NS) USA (MT, WA, SD, CA, CO, WY, KS, MN, NC, VG, UT, HI)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
Shoot straight and note the look on your sons face!
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM #4
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
04-18-2011, 01:17 PM #5
- Hunted united states canada mexico south africa
- billc has no Articles
- View billc's Photos
Enjoy yourself and make it a trip your son will never forget.I have a few month before I get my 12 year old son over there but can not wait.Hope you can share your story when you two get back.
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM #6
- Member of Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
- Hunted Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
- enysse has no Articles
- View enysse's Photos
Call your credit card company and tell them any charges coming from Africa are valid purchases. Make sure baggage is under 50 lbs a bag, that you have your guns registered by US Customs, And make sure you have room for novelty items that you buy...because I love wood carvings from Africa! Also make sure your ammo is in a container with a lock on it!
Best of Luck to you and send in a hunting report when you get back!
04-18-2011, 01:49 PM #7
- seattlesetters has no Articles
- seattlesetters has no Photos
I'm taking my daughter for her 12th birthday in 2014. I'm going next year to "lay the groundwork" for that trip.... ;-)
I'm jealous! I want to go now!!!
Please, just have fun, take in Africa and cherish the time with your boy. And get some nice trophies to go along with the memories!
04-18-2011, 03:46 PM #8
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
If you are taking American Dollars make sure that they are newer that 2005, with no torn edges, no rip or marks on the bills.
Cell phone company call and receive calling instructions from them in writing.
Digital camera for your son with instruction to take all the pictures he can and then some more.
Have a budge for gifts, T-shirts for your sons friends would be a great idea...
Remember to have fun, enjoy and let the experience flow.
Plus what enysse posted...
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM #9
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Wish you a great hunt.
04-18-2011, 08:59 PM #10
- Member of Bear-Hunting.Org
- 1Shot2Kills has no Articles
- 1Shot2Kills has no Photos
04-18-2011, 09:17 PM #11
- Member of SCI
- Hunted USA, S. Africa
- PHOENIX PHIL has no Articles
- View PHOENIX PHIL's Photos
Last year when I went I packed my ammo in a box that was locked. That box was then placed in an unlocked piece of luggage. No problem with that on my way over. For some reason at Tambo on the way back that was not okay. The lady at the Delta counter wanted the luggage to be locked too. Despite showing her that the ammo box was locked it wasn't good enough. Fortunately we had one of those little Fischer-Price locks that the luggage came with hanging on the side. This believe it or not was sufficient to satisfy the Delta lady. My point isn't about the locks, but rather this is Africa. Sometimes it just pays to go along to get along and not ruin your dream over something stupid.
Now one other piece of advice from Craig Boddington. I either read or heard him say that you only get one first safari and it's like no other he's been on. As someone else said, enjoy it to the fullest. As soon as that plane leaves the ground, concentrate only on having the time of your life with your son. I know he and you will never forget it.
04-19-2011, 01:32 AM #12
Enjoy the hunt and let us know how it went... If you run into trouble anywhere please do not hesitate to contact us if you need help in any way. Enjoy the hunt!
04-19-2011, 10:12 PM #13
- Member of knjv
- Hunted S.A./ NAM./Zimb./Tanzania G.B. Scotland, germany France,
- bwana ndege has no Articles
- bwana ndege has no Photos
I just came back from a huntingtrip in the east cape, you might want to check up on the WX and pack something warm and that keeps you dry.
Had a wonderfull trip, hope that yours will be one that you'll never forget.
By TERMINATOR in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 11Last Post: 05-12-2012, 02:57 AM
By BARTFRNCS in forum Hunting AfricaReplies: 16Last Post: 08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
By unknownuser in forum Introductions & GreetsReplies: 11Last Post: 06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
By JNHall in forum Introductions & GreetsReplies: 22Last Post: 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
By hunting in forum Hunts OFFERED or WANTED WorldwideReplies: 7Last Post: 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM