very green to the Africa experience, so...
This is a discussion on very green to the Africa experience, so... within the Hunting Africa forums, part of the Hunting Forums - Hunting in Africa category; All, I am going to do my first African safari (on my five year plan to make it happen!!), so ...
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM #1
- toby.davis1 has no Articles
- toby.davis1 has no Photos
very green to the Africa experience, so...
I am going to do my first African safari (on my five year plan to make it happen!!), so have a real "greenhorn" (cheechako up here in Alaska!!) question.
The animals I want the first go round in order of priority are Cape Buff, Kudu, and oryx/gemsbok. Is there an area/country where I would have a decent chance at all three, or am I looking at 2-3 countries for the three?
Later in life, I would like a lion and possibly an elephant, but those three are the ones I am hoping to get a chance at the first time around.
Any help would be great!! Thanks!
02-08-2013, 06:00 PM #2
- Member of NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
- Hunted USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Africa
- James.Grage has no Articles
- View James.Grage's Photos
Well you are in Luck you do have 2 country's that you can go to for the 3 you are looking for.
1. South Africa and you are in luck as we have some resident PH'S that will be albe to fill your bill.
2. Namibia and if you check with Jerome the owner of the web site you will be in luck. I am not sure if we have any other from Namibia on here that wil be able to do all 3.James Grage - New Mexico
Hold a steady Eye & Rifle...
"Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded...they shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them." John Wayne
02-08-2013, 07:06 PM #3
- Member of NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
- Hunted USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
- Bobpuckett has no Articles
- View Bobpuckett's Photos
Toby thats a heck of a start for a first timer but it can be done, the Outfit that I hunt with does all three with rifle, bow, Black Powder and pistol, your choice so have fun.Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
02-08-2013, 08:40 PM #4
- Member of KZN Hunters Assoc
- Hunted Namibia (Otavi) South Africa ( Limpopo, Kwazulu Natal, Northern Cape) Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia) USA (Montana, Washington, South Dakota, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Virginia, Utah, Hawaii)
- BRICKBURN has no Articles
- View BRICKBURN's Photos
You may have to move around a bit inside James' suggested countries but those are the ones I'd suggest too.
Buffalo and Gemsbok don't tend to hang out in the same places traditionally.
Good luck.Practice whispering before you leave for Africa!
A Legend in my own mind!
02-08-2013, 09:02 PM #5
huntafrica.com is on the namibia hunt outfitters on here , and they offer ele, buff, leopard, hippo and croc.
Johnny vivier is another really good choice for all three and is an awesome guy. Hes one of those people you just need to meet so that you can realize that hes larger than life. Ive spoke with him on many different occasions and the man either has what im looking for or he walks me to someone who will take care of me and can fit the bill. However you will be floored by jerome. Hes one of those people that you form an instant bond to and consider yourself lucky to have been blessed enough to spend time with. My wife and i are desperately wanting to go spend weeks witb him and his family as we consider them close friends and weve only met them twice. Their just unbelievable people.
02-09-2013, 01:18 AM #7
- Member of PHASA ; SCI ; DSC ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
- Hunted South Africa, New Zealand
- KMG Hunting Safaris has no Articles
- View KMG Hunting Safaris's Photos
Welcome to AH. I think the entire South Africa will be able to help you with all three species in one area, so it can definitely be done.
Well , I can speak on the Eastern Cape's behalf, and we will definitely be able to help you with all three.
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM #8
- Member of RFEC, RFETO
- Hunted Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
- Nyati has no Articles
- View Nyati's Photos
Welcome to AH, Toby, as you see it can be done, now it s for you to choose with whom.
02-11-2013, 04:43 AM #9
- Member of SCI, PHASA, IPHA
- Hunted South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
- Jaco Strauss has no Articles
- View Jaco Strauss's Photos
Welcome Toby do your research check references there are many good areas in SA as well as Namibia which will be able to offer and cater to your specific requirements, above all enjoy the planing and the AH forum.
My very best always.
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM #10
- Member of SCI, NRA, IHEA
- Hunted US, Germany
- Grady has no Articles
- Grady has no Photos
I like you am a cheechako (and live in AK), but I will be going on my first in July. I would recommend starting some of your research at the SCI dinner (23 Feb). I got a lot of great info there and also on this site. There are a lot of guys here that will give you great advice. Keep an eye on the deals, offers site and you might be able to go on your trip earlier.
By Lpart in forum Free ClassifiedsReplies: 1Last Post: 10-14-2012, 09:28 AM
By frog stealer in forum South Africa Hunting ReportsReplies: 19Last Post: 07-31-2012, 01:12 AM
By theov in forum GREAT DEALS on Hunts WorldwideReplies: 4Last Post: 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Latest Hunting NewsReplies: 6Last Post: 09-26-2011, 07:24 AM
By AfricaHunting.com in forum Latest Hunting NewsReplies: 1Last Post: 05-08-2009, 04:55 AM